Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bringing a guitar as carry-on LAX -> SEA, Embraer 175

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, I'm relatively new to all this so hopefully I won't get flamed... I've searched the Internet at length but these things seem to change over time and I'm not sure about the specific aircraft.

Basically, as per the subject LAX -> SEA on Wednesday AA 3230 is apparently likely to be an Embraer 175. I'm not a US resident and I'm not familiar with these planes - they seem somewhat smaller than the usual suspects when I fly across the pond.

I'm likely to have a guitar with me. It will be in a hard case, but not a full-on flight case, hence I'd be concerned that if I checked it in the hold, the case (at minimum) could get damaged. I read things about checking in at the gate being safer, but ultimately there are a lot of horror stories out there. I also don't know how much of this is down to policy vs luck.

The rest of my trip (from TLV) is J, but had to book this leg in K. I have Platinum status so have automatically been upgraded to MCE, and I'm on the upgrade list as I have enough 500-mile upgrades, but not holding my breath (no idea how busy this flight usually is).

I have two possible cases:
  1. 41x17x14" (quite rectangular)
  2. 42x15x5" (more contoured i.e. not 15" all the way down)
Is either of these likely to fit in the overhead bin on an Embraer 175? If not, do they have a coat compartment or other similar compartment that (at least 15 years ago when I last tried) they might be willing to put the guitar in? Or am I resigned to check in?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by topperdoggle
Hi all, I'm relatively new to all this so hopefully I won't get flamed... I've searched the Internet at length but these things seem to change over time and I'm not sure about the specific aircraft.

Basically, as per the subject LAX -> SEA on Wednesday AA 3230 is apparently likely to be an Embraer 175. I'm not a US resident and I'm not familiar with these planes - they seem somewhat smaller than the usual suspects when I fly across the pond.

I'm likely to have a guitar with me. It will be in a hard case, but not a full-on flight case, hence I'd be concerned that if I checked it in the hold, the case (at minimum) could get damaged. I read things about checking in at the gate being safer, but ultimately there are a lot of horror stories out there. I also don't know how much of this is down to policy vs luck.

The rest of my trip (from TLV) is J, but had to book this leg in K. I have Platinum status so have automatically been upgraded to MCE, and I'm on the upgrade list as I have enough 500-mile upgrades, but not holding my breath (no idea how busy this flight usually is).

I have two possible cases:
  1. 41x17x14" (quite rectangular)
  2. 42x15x5" (more contoured i.e. not 15" all the way down)
Is either of these likely to fit in the overhead bin on an Embraer 175? If not, do they have a coat compartment or other similar compartment that (at least 15 years ago when I last tried) they might be willing to put the guitar in? Or am I resigned to check in?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
First, just FYI, AA elites no longer require 500 milers to upgrade, so you'd be on the upgrade list as PLT, whether you have them available or not.

With regard to your overall question, I believe your guitar case would significantly exceed the current requirements listed at AA.com for carry on bags, whether RJ or mainline.

Additionally, since most standard-size carry-on bags do fit in the overhead bins of the E175, valet tag service (checking the bag at the gate and receiving it on the jetbridge instead of baggage claim) generally isn't offered on this particular aircraft type.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by metallo
First, just FYI, AA elites no longer require 500 milers to upgrade, so you'd be on the upgrade list as PLT, whether you have them available or not.

With regard to your overall question, I believe your guitar case would significantly exceed the current requirements listed at AA.com for carry on bags, whether RJ or mainline.

Additionally, since most standard-size carry-on bags do fit in the overhead bins of the E175, valet tag service (checking the bag at the gate and receiving it on the jetbridge instead of baggage claim) generally isn't offered on this particular aircraft type.
Thanks for the comment about the 500 milers.

About the case size, from the link you posted:
Musical instruments are also considered a carry-on item and must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
It's not clear at this point - most musical instruments that can fit in the bin (can my guitars? I still don't know how big the bins are...) are going to be larger than the carry-on bag size. A musical instrument isn't a "bag" as such (even if it does count as a carry-on bag in terms of allocation).

Perhaps I'll give AA a call but still hope that someone will be along to clarify.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure how valuable your guitar is but another option is to book an extra seat for it. You will have to pay the full cost of another ticket.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm not sure how valuable your guitar is but another option is to book an extra seat for it. You will have to pay the full cost of another ticket.
Thanks, if I had to pay for a whole seat, I simply wouldn't bring it with. Hoping to find out if anyone can shed daylight in whether it would even fit in the overheads on that plane.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:36 pm

You are at the mercy of the crew but I have noticed that most crews go out of the way to find space for instruments. Most e170 still have a small closet in the front but often times the crew has their luggage in there. As for the bins the first class bins you can just get a roller bag in with wheels to the back so about 22 deep and you can usually get four bags in a bin so assume something like 14 x 4. The larger bins are over the two seat side in first, coach you need to put the bag in the other way I am guessing depth to be about 18 inches and length 42 or so. I notice most instruments that go back to coach come back to the front for help finding space so I am guessing it is a tough fit.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tennessetom
You are at the mercy of the crew but I have noticed that most crews go out of the way to find space for instruments. Most e170 still have a small closet in the front but often times the crew has their luggage in there. As for the bins the first class bins you can just get a roller bag in with wheels to the back so about 22 deep and you can usually get four bags in a bin so assume something like 14 x 4. The larger bins are over the two seat side in first, coach you need to put the bag in the other way I am guessing depth to be about 18 inches and length 42 or so. I notice most instruments that go back to coach come back to the front for help finding space so I am guessing it is a tough fit.
Thanks, that's actually quite helpful, based on your observation that the crews do go out of the way to find space for instruments, I'm willing to smile sweetly and take a chance... What's the worst that could happen? They could force me to check it into the hold even though the case probably isn't up to it?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
To at least provide you a data point, I was boarding SEA-ORD this past Friday, on a 737, and a guy boarding a couple spots ahead of me (it wasn't you, was it?) had a contoured guitar case and he was allowed to put it in the coat closet at the front of First Class. This was Group 4, I didn't pay attention to whether he then sat in First Class or Main Cabin. I remember thinking to myself, what would he have done if there wasn't space available in that closet?
Larger plane, but at least an indication that they should let you put it in the closet if there is space available anyways.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If you are interested in the extra seat, we have a lengthy thread on that subject here:
Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
It will not fit overhead. Either buy the extra seat, plan to check it, or leave it home.

Don't don't want to see the otherwise inevitable thread - "Mean Flight Attendant refused to find a place for my guitar! Gate checked! Now broken from being in baggage hold! AA sucks!"
roberto99, LWkitty, bemis and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DSM Flyer
To at least provide you a data point, I was boarding SEA-ORD this past Friday, on a 737, and a guy boarding a couple spots ahead of me (it wasn't you, was it?) had a contoured guitar case and he was allowed to put it in the coat closet at the front of First Class. This was Group 4, I didn't pay attention to whether he then sat in First Class or Main Cabin. I remember thinking to myself, what would he have done if there wasn't space available in that closet?
Larger plane, but at least an indication that they should let you put it in the closet if there is space available anyways.
Another positive sign, thank you...

Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes, I read that too. Hence the question in my OP about how big are the overhead bins on these planes.

Originally Posted by aztimm
If you are interested in the extra seat, we have a lengthy thread on that subject here:
Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Thanks!
Thanks, at that price I can just buy a new guitar.

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
It will not fit overhead. Either buy the extra seat, plan to check it, or leave it home.

Don't don't want to see the otherwise inevitable thread - "Mean Flight Attendant refused to find a place for my guitar! Gate checked! Now broken from being in baggage hold! AA sucks!"
It won't? I've been able to fit guitars overhead in other planes over the years, the difference is that I'm concerned that everything is tiny on this plane.

I don't think it's inevitable that I will be irrational and unfair, don't worry about such a thread being created.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:10 am

It definitely will not fit in the overhead bin of a 175.

I would check it.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Whatever happens on Wednesday (and I have my fingers crossed for a good outcome for you) please do come back and tell us, so that others might find the thread useful in future. Too many people come here for advice and are then never heard from again, and we have no idea how or whether their particular issue was resolved.
Stocks_n_Socks likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
It definitely will not fit in the overhead bin of a 175.

I would check it.
I'm not sure the case will survive. It's a hard case, but not a flight case. Again, the data is unclear. It's not fragile like a feather, that's for sure, and perhaps the horror stories online mask a reality where the vast majority of people do this and it's fine.

Originally Posted by Misco60
Whatever happens on Wednesday (and I have my fingers crossed for a good outcome for you) please do come back and tell us, so that others might find the thread useful in future. Too many people come here for advice and are then never heard from again, and we have no idea how or whether their particular issue was resolved.
Thanks and happily!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.