Forcing a connection in Phoenix

Old Apr 8, 22, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Forcing a connection in Phoenix

Skipping details to get to the point, I have to fly to LAX soon BUT I also need to do about a 6 hour meeting in PHX. United, Southwest have fairly cheap flights to Phoenix from SDF where I am right now, but not American. So at a minimum, I'd love to save some money and rather than book two trips, SDF-PHX and then PHX-LAX... do a long layover in Phoenix. I know it isn't a huge layover city for AA but... am I wishing for the moon? Couldn't find a force on ITA Matrix...
Old Apr 8, 22, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Google Flights with multi city search?
dciolli likes this.
Old Apr 8, 22, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forcing it is easy. AA+ PHX AA+ is the routing code you want.

Unfortunately it results in a fare break. You are buying two one ways.

Actually it can be in one fare. There's a stop in CLT too. The connection in PHX is probably not long enough. You can try to force a longer one but that will almost certainly break the fare since it's over 4hr and you are not taking the next available flight.
Old Apr 8, 22, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by Raralith
Google Flights with multi city search?
Wow, sometimes you have a busy day and WAY overthink things... Thanks lol!

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Actually it can be in one fare. There's a stop in CLT too. The connection in PHX is probably not long enough. You can try to force a longer one but that will almost certainly break the fare since it's over 4hr and you are not taking the next available flight.
Thank you Vegas, why is the second AA+ code necessary? This worked! When I did it on my own I just did AA+ PHX or PHX;AA+ or something
Old Apr 8, 22, 5:40 pm

The short answer is that a PHX layover that long isn't doable. The longer answer is to do the search at business.aa.com. That site allows you to eliminate nonstops and select the connecting city on 1 stop itineraries. It will also let you only see 2+ stop itineraries but not select the connecting cities.

I plan to use the tool for segment runs if needed.
Old Apr 8, 22, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Wow, sometimes you have a busy day and WAY overthink things... Thanks lol!

Thank you Vegas, why is the second AA+ code necessary? This worked! When I did it on my own I just did AA+ PHX or PHX;AA+ or something
AA+ is "one or more flights on AA". "PHX" is "stop in Phoenix". If you don't add another "AA+" to the end you have no way to get from PHX to LAX.

If you specify a routing code it has to be complete; they don't add additional flights to the beginning or end. If they did, you could not force a non-stop on AA with the code "AA" (there would be no difference between "AA" and "AA+")
Carolina2Cali likes this.
Old Apr 8, 22, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
The short answer is that a PHX layover that long isn't doable. The longer answer is to do the search at business.aa.com. That site allows you to eliminate nonstops and select the connecting city on 1 stop itineraries. It will also let you only see 2+ stop itineraries but not select the connecting cities.

I plan to use the tool for segment runs if needed.
Wow, thanks! I figured out my exact flight plan, now to see if I can get it to price... April 19th...

AA 5745 - SDF to DFW leaving at 621 am, then AA 520 leaving DFW to PHX at 825 am, and then return to LAX from PHX at 806 pm, flight 1087. (I could also do the same schedule about an hour later on flights 5823 and 1931)

Let me check out this business thing... well, I got it up on Matrix, but overall with my different options it'll be $600+ so nevermind, I'll have to give this one, at least SDF-PHX, to Southwest. Darn. Alas.

Last edited by Carolina2Cali; Apr 8, 22 at 6:02 pm Reason: UPDATE
Old Apr 8, 22, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

It can be booked on one ticket, but not one fare with 6 hour layover. It will necessarily involve separate fares for SDF-PHX and PHX-LAX.
Old Apr 8, 22, 9:04 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Award

You might be able to book this as an award. 4+ hour connections show up frequently.
Old Apr 8, 22, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I haven't tried this, but is it possible to SDC only the second leg?
Old Apr 9, 22, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
I haven't tried this, but is it possible to SDC only the second leg?
With an agent I think you can.
Problem is availability, I think nowadays most many flights have no availability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.