FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA PHL-ABE/ACY (and others) bus services (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2074906-aa-phl-abe-acy-others-bus-services.html)

mediator Apr 7, 2022 11:32 am

AA PHL-ABE/ACY (and others) bus services

Looks like PHL-ABE will be replaced by bus starting 06/03. The article also mentions ACY, that will be interesting.

https://6abc.com/american-airlines-p...illy/11721366/

NickRivas Apr 7, 2022 11:43 am

Since it’s AA I think we can all expect those “flights” to be cancelled or delayed too :p

WeekendTraveler Apr 7, 2022 11:59 am

For Philadelphia-Atlantic City, SEPTA and NJ Transit already cover that route (and SEPTA used to cover Philadelphia-Allentown/Bethlehem).

I'd rather sit on a commuter train than a bus.

FlyingEgghead Apr 7, 2022 12:02 pm

TPG says the bus to PHL will be sterile and arrive airside:

Upon arrival in Philadelphia, the bus will pull up airside (past security) and you’ll disembark into the terminal. Your checked bags will be automatically transferred to your connecting flight, and you won’t need to reclear security.
This is very interesting and different from the UA ABE-EWR bus, which arrives landside. Is there any precedent for a passenger transport vehicle on public roads (not within an airport fence) being considered sterile by TSA?

Presumably there will have to be a protocol to not disembark airside if there has been any irregularity during the drive in which any bus door (including emergency exit) has opened. Perhaps physical tamper-evident seals will be placed on all bus doors and windows after boarding and then inspected before letting anyone/anything off airside at the destination.

ORDflyer92 Apr 7, 2022 12:23 pm

I haven't been to ACY in a long time but isn't Spirit the only airline offering service there right now? So this is technically a "new route" for AA?

mediator Apr 7, 2022 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92 (Post 34145694)
I haven't been to ACY in a long time but isn't Spirit the only airline offering service there right now? So this is technically a "new route" for AA?

That’s correct. Presumably AA will need to rent a new counter at ACY.

IADCAflyer Apr 7, 2022 12:40 pm

Doesnt (or didn't) UA do this to EWR?

MASTERNC Apr 7, 2022 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 34145746)
Doesnt (or didn't) UA do this to EWR?

I know that they had ticketed Amtrak trips to EWR

WeekendTraveler Apr 7, 2022 12:42 pm

Thanks for sharing the article.

If AA could replace some of its short flights from CLT with busses, that could be an improvement.

For example, driving from GSP or CAE to CLT can take about 90 minutes. If AA could have the bus stop maybe downtown or another place in those cities, do a security check, and then head to CLT and arrive airside, that would be significantly faster than the time it takes to go to GSP or CAE and then fly to CLT. But I guess it’s not realistic to do a TSA security check outside of an airport.

Mr. BoH Apr 7, 2022 12:50 pm

PHL-ABE does not sound like a fun bus ride at all

Mister Nice Apr 7, 2022 1:04 pm

I wouldn’t mind seeing this service come to BWI for BWI-PHL . BWI had AA flights to PHL for years - including some mainline service .

LlamaJesus Apr 7, 2022 1:14 pm

I'm very curious to see how this plays out. I feel like people will ignore it (or try it once, realize they have to take a bus, and not want to do it again), but I wonder if this is the future for a lot of smaller markets, particularly in the (relatively) dense northeast. Such short flights have always seemed like a waste of time and resources to me, but there are a lot of reasons someone would want to start at ABE/ACY instead of PHL (stating the obvious here, but short Uber ride, family/friend dropping you off, no car, etc.). Getting to the hub airside (and not having to take care of your luggage once you've been checked in at the origin) is the potential game-changer - obviously, otherwise AA is just reinventing public transportation.

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead (Post 34145643)
TPG says the bus to PHL will be sterile and arrive airside:

This is very interesting and different from the UA ABE-EWR bus, which arrives landside. Is there any precedent for a passenger transport vehicle on public roads (not within an airport fence) being considered sterile by TSA?

Presumably there will have to be a protocol to not disembark airside if there has been any irregularity during the drive in which any bus door (including emergency exit) has opened. Perhaps physical tamper-evident seals will be placed on all bus doors and windows after boarding and then inspected before letting anyone/anything off airside at the destination.

Apparently there will be a TSA officer onboard or something like that.

IADCAflyer Apr 7, 2022 1:25 pm

There has always been discussion of secure bus service for short hop airport service to hubs. In a sense it makes sense. Two not inexpensive pilots and at least two not inexpensive flight attendants servicing an aircraft with a lot of Jet-A being burned. On many flights, the ground taxi time is as long as the en route time.

Instead you can have a single bus with a single driver.

It'd be ineresting to see how many x<100 mile routes there are out there these days.

PHL-ABE, PHL-MDT, CLT-GSP, CLT-GSO, CLT-CAE, ORD-MKE, DFW-ACT, and DFW-TYR all come to mind.

Segments Apr 7, 2022 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by LlamaJesus (Post 34145847)

So re-inventing prison transport?

FlyingEgghead Apr 7, 2022 1:30 pm

Getting to the hub airside (and not having to take care of your luggage once you've been checked in at the origin) is the potential game-changer - obviously, otherwise AA is just reinventing public transportation.

The checked luggage part is not new; it's already true for existing buses like UA's ABE-EWR. Bags are checked to the final destination and are handled by the airline, not the passenger, at the connection to or from the bus. Moreover, other differences from public transportation, even for the existing bus operations, are frequent flyer earnings and protection from misconnects just like an actual flight.

Is that your speculation or do you have a source?