AA PHL-ABE/ACY (and others) bus services

Old Sep 25, 22, 2:21 pm
  #121  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 25,922
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead View Post
The answer to what? Not sure what kind of news you think this is. A guy posted a vlog/review. The service has already been operating for months.
ysolde's post originally appeared in a much older thread about air service to Atlantic City, and was moved to this thread (presumably by a Moderator). Here's the old thread, which asked the question, "Is AA Starting Atlantic City?"

Is AA starting Atlantic City (ACY)?
guv1976 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 2:26 pm
  #122  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 7,079
So what has the experience been transferring from the bus to the aircraft?
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:56 pm
  #123  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 37,789
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead View Post
The answer to what? Not sure what kind of news you think this is. A guy posted a vlog/review. The service has already been operating for months.
Here! Those two went to Atlantic City on a bus.


You're gonna love it! Enjoy!
N830MH is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 10:56 am
  #124  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
So what has the experience been transferring from the bus to the aircraft?
I took the bus from ACY, connecting in PHL. In this direction, the bus drops you off outside of terminal F. That is where you go through security, or you walk down the sidewalk to E if you want pre-check. Your luggage is tagged in ACY, so you don't have to worry about your checked baggage.

On the return, the bus picks up at gate F10. You make that connection the same way that you would make an air-air connection. Again your checked bags get transferred and you pick them up from the bus baggage compartment when you arrive.
zdcatc12 is offline  
Old Sep 26, 22, 11:37 am
  #125  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL (kinda, no airport is really close)
Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Posts: 4,433
Not directly relevant, but Amtrak is now running a bus from Reading (PA) to Amtrak's 30th Street Station in Philadelphia.

The Reading Railroad closed in 1981. USAir had scheduled service into RDG until around 2004ish. For a while there was reasonably-priced bus service between RDG (which had free parking) and PHL, but that closed also.

It's not a quick or trivial trip from Reading to PHL now - you have to get to the bus terminal on Cherry St. Downtown, take the bus to 30th Street (about two hours, stopping in Pottstown), then take another train to the airport. But if you're going on a long trip, or coming back to Reading some other way than flying through Philly, at least there's an option now.
FlyingEgghead likes this.
redtop43 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 2:14 am
  #126  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,052
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
Not directly relevant, but Amtrak is now running a bus from Reading (PA) to Amtrak's 30th Street Station in Philadelphia.

The Reading Railroad closed in 1981. USAir had scheduled service into RDG until around 2004ish. For a while there was reasonably-priced bus service between RDG (which had free parking) and PHL, but that closed also.

It's not a quick or trivial trip from Reading to PHL now - you have to get to the bus terminal on Cherry St. Downtown, take the bus to 30th Street (about two hours, stopping in Pottstown), then take another train to the airport. But if you're going on a long trip, or coming back to Reading some other way than flying through Philly, at least there's an option now.
I was going to point out that Amtrak Thruway bus service can only be booked as a connection to or from an Amtrak train, but this bus route appears to be an exception that can be booked standalone, as confirmed by trial booking search on Amtrak.com and by this press release:
Amtrak Thruway services make coordinated connections with trains and enable passengers to connect with the Amtrak national network; however, passengers may elect to utilize only the bus service.
Normally Amtrak Thruway buses wait for late Amtrak trains (here that would matter in the PHL-RDG direction). That could make it risky to use the bus standalone or as a self-connection, even when allowed.
FlyingEgghead is offline  
Old Oct 4, 22, 11:32 am
  #127  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Posts: 3,374
Any idea on when the terminal to terminal will happen???? I wont take it if i have to clear security in PHL....
PhillyPhlyer40 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 22, 4:58 pm
  #128  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 37,789
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 View Post
Any idea on when the terminal to terminal will happen???? I wont take it if i have to clear security in PHL....
right! You dont have re-clear at security. All concourse are secured. Once you arrive in terminal B or C. Take a shuttle bus to terminal F. They wait for your bus ride. Your checked bags will be transfer.
N830MH is offline  
Old Oct 4, 22, 5:24 pm
  #129  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
right! You dont have re-clear at security. All concourse are secured. Once you arrive in terminal B or C. Take a shuttle bus to terminal F. They wait for your bus ride. Your checked bags will be transfer.
I think that they are talking about the other way, i.e. ACY-PHL-XXX, where you still have to clear security in PHL.
zdcatc12 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 22, 11:30 am
  #130  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ORD / MDW / FLL
Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,260
Originally Posted by zdcatc12 View Post
I think that they are talking about the other way, i.e. ACY-PHL-XXX, where you still have to clear security in PHL.
Spoke with someone who did the ACY-PHL-XXX. As of last week you still have to re-clear security at PHL. The whole point of this service was so you could not have to clear security again in PHL. Fr me, that would be a non-starter...almost as much as having to take a bus is a non-starter to being with.
Spiff likes this.
SOBE ER DOC is offline  
Old Oct 5, 22, 1:18 pm
  #131  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Posts: 13,003
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
Spoke with someone who did the ACY-PHL-XXX. As of last week you still have to re-clear security at PHL. The whole point of this service was so you could not have to clear security again in PHL. Fr me, that would be a non-starter...almost as much as having to take a bus is a non-starter to being with.
As I said upthread somewhere, it would depend on the price of the ticket for ACY/ABE-PHL-xxx -v- just PHL-xxx. I'd also look at the price of car rentals (if needed) in ABE or ACY -v- PHL (and keep in mind that I rarely get an upgrade at a small station, while at PHL I have a choice to pick).

Yes, the security is a nice to have, but it wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker for me. Especially if I could use TSA PreCheck at an out of the way security checkpoint at PHL, such as F (I've only gone through security there once and nearly had to wake up the crew, no one else in sight).
aztimm is offline  
Old Oct 9, 22, 9:36 pm
  #132  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Posts: 3,374
Originally Posted by zdcatc12 View Post
I think that they are talking about the other way, i.e. ACY-PHL-XXX, where you still have to clear security in PHL.

Yep, NOT gonna do it. Why is it taking them so long to get the clearance to clear in ABE? Why no update? Seems like bait/switch to me!
PhillyPhlyer40 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 23, 1:19 pm
  #133  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Posts: 3,374
Any word on clearances? Do they go gate-to-gate yet?
PhillyPhlyer40 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 23, 2:07 pm
  #134  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 133
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 View Post
Any word on clearances? Do they go gate-to-gate yet?
Not as of last month when I took the bus from ACY to PHL. FYI you'd be fine to be at ACY 30 mins ahead of time, and the bus takes off after all ticketed passengers board. My bus took off almost 20 mins early.
Reaching is online now  
Old Jan 6, 23, 3:44 am
  #135  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 7,079
I see they now have a seat map for the bus!
IADCAflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread