AA PHL-ABE/ACY (and others) bus services

Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
The answer to what? Not sure what kind of news you think this is. A guy posted a vlog/review. The service has already been operating for months.
ysolde's post originally appeared in a much older thread about air service to Atlantic City, and was moved to this thread (presumably by a Moderator). Here's the old thread, which asked the question, "Is AA Starting Atlantic City?"

Is AA starting Atlantic City (ACY)?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So what has the experience been transferring from the bus to the aircraft?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
The answer to what? Not sure what kind of news you think this is. A guy posted a vlog/review. The service has already been operating for months.
Here! Those two went to Atlantic City on a bus.

You're gonna love it! Enjoy!
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So what has the experience been transferring from the bus to the aircraft?
I took the bus from ACY, connecting in PHL. In this direction, the bus drops you off outside of terminal F. That is where you go through security, or you walk down the sidewalk to E if you want pre-check. Your luggage is tagged in ACY, so you don't have to worry about your checked baggage.

On the return, the bus picks up at gate F10. You make that connection the same way that you would make an air-air connection. Again your checked bags get transferred and you pick them up from the bus baggage compartment when you arrive.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Not directly relevant, but Amtrak is now running a bus from Reading (PA) to Amtrak's 30th Street Station in Philadelphia.

The Reading Railroad closed in 1981. USAir had scheduled service into RDG until around 2004ish. For a while there was reasonably-priced bus service between RDG (which had free parking) and PHL, but that closed also.

It's not a quick or trivial trip from Reading to PHL now - you have to get to the bus terminal on Cherry St. Downtown, take the bus to 30th Street (about two hours, stopping in Pottstown), then take another train to the airport. But if you're going on a long trip, or coming back to Reading some other way than flying through Philly, at least there's an option now.
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
Not directly relevant, but Amtrak is now running a bus from Reading (PA) to Amtrak's 30th Street Station in Philadelphia.

The Reading Railroad closed in 1981. USAir had scheduled service into RDG until around 2004ish. For a while there was reasonably-priced bus service between RDG (which had free parking) and PHL, but that closed also.

It's not a quick or trivial trip from Reading to PHL now - you have to get to the bus terminal on Cherry St. Downtown, take the bus to 30th Street (about two hours, stopping in Pottstown), then take another train to the airport. But if you're going on a long trip, or coming back to Reading some other way than flying through Philly, at least there's an option now.
I was going to point out that Amtrak Thruway bus service can only be booked as a connection to or from an Amtrak train, but this bus route appears to be an exception that can be booked standalone, as confirmed by trial booking search on Amtrak.com and by this press release:
Amtrak Thruway services make coordinated connections with trains and enable passengers to connect with the Amtrak national network; however, passengers may elect to utilize only the bus service.
Normally Amtrak Thruway buses wait for late Amtrak trains (here that would matter in the PHL-RDG direction). That could make it risky to use the bus standalone or as a self-connection, even when allowed.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Any idea on when the terminal to terminal will happen???? I wont take it if i have to clear security in PHL....
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Any idea on when the terminal to terminal will happen???? I wont take it if i have to clear security in PHL....
right! You don’t have re-clear at security. All concourse are secured. Once you arrive in terminal B or C. Take a shuttle bus to terminal F. They wait for your bus ride. Your checked bags will be transfer.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N830MH
right! You don’t have re-clear at security. All concourse are secured. Once you arrive in terminal B or C. Take a shuttle bus to terminal F. They wait for your bus ride. Your checked bags will be transfer.
I think that they are talking about the other way, i.e. ACY-PHL-XXX, where you still have to clear security in PHL.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I think that they are talking about the other way, i.e. ACY-PHL-XXX, where you still have to clear security in PHL.
Spoke with someone who did the ACY-PHL-XXX. As of last week you still have to re-clear security at PHL. The whole point of this service was so you could not have to clear security again in PHL. Fr me, that would be a non-starter...almost as much as having to take a bus is a non-starter to being with.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Spoke with someone who did the ACY-PHL-XXX. As of last week you still have to re-clear security at PHL. The whole point of this service was so you could not have to clear security again in PHL. Fr me, that would be a non-starter...almost as much as having to take a bus is a non-starter to being with.
As I said upthread somewhere, it would depend on the price of the ticket for ACY/ABE-PHL-xxx -v- just PHL-xxx. I'd also look at the price of car rentals (if needed) in ABE or ACY -v- PHL (and keep in mind that I rarely get an upgrade at a small station, while at PHL I have a choice to pick).

Yes, the security is a nice to have, but it wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker for me. Especially if I could use TSA PreCheck at an out of the way security checkpoint at PHL, such as F (I've only gone through security there once and nearly had to wake up the crew, no one else in sight).
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by zdcatc12

Yep, NOT gonna do it. Why is it taking them so long to get the clearance to clear in ABE? Why no update? Seems like bait/switch to me!
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:19 pm

Any word on clearances? Do they go gate-to-gate yet?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Any word on clearances? Do they go gate-to-gate yet?
Not as of last month when I took the bus from ACY to PHL. FYI you'd be fine to be at ACY 30 mins ahead of time, and the bus takes off after all ticketed passengers board. My bus took off almost 20 mins early.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I see they now have a seat map for the bus!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.