AA PHL-ABE/ACY (and others) bus services

Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by PHL
Putting aside the fact that there is no NJTransit rail stop at ACY, a direct bus from PHL to ACY will be faster than the train by every metric.
Have you listened to the PHL area traffic reports lately?

A bus is one problem on a bridge away from a missed flight.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:43 am

What I would really like to see is an AA relationship with Amtrak at PHL . Again , I will use BWI as an example . Would love an Amtrak codeshare to PHL and then a bus service from the train station to the airport at PHL.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
What I would really like to see is an AA relationship with Amtrak at PHL . Again , I will use BWI as an example . Would love an Amtrak codeshare to PHL and then a bus service from the train station to the airport at PHL.
There's literally a septa train that runs directly from 30th street station to the airport. What would be the advantage of a bus?
JMN57 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
TPG says the bus to PHL will be sterile and arrive airside:

This is very interesting and different from the UA ABE-EWR bus, which arrives landside. Is there any precedent for a passenger transport vehicle on public roads (not within an airport fence) being considered sterile by TSA?

Presumably there will have to be a protocol to not disembark airside if there has been any irregularity during the drive in which any bus door (including emergency exit) has opened. Perhaps physical tamper-evident seals will be placed on all bus doors and windows after boarding and then inspected before letting anyone/anything off airside at the destination.
This will be interesting. I never take the UA bus due to this...but if AA will be airside I would probably consider this at times.

Although, the CR900 ABE-CLT is a nice ride!
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
AA can utilize NK after B6s deal is completed.
The NEA will be nixed if NK and B6 merge, but if you mean NK will exit ACY because of B6 and it will free up space, that is a long way. Anyways, there should be counter space for AA.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
They should brand it the Careliner like the old HP service from PHX-Scottsdale/Mesa lol

Also, various sources are reporting this will be secure - the passengers will arrive airside at PHL.
https://airlineweekly.com/2022/04/am...andline-buses/
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by PHL
That routing is, unfortunately, a limitation of the century+ old Pennsylvania Railroad. We'll never see a maglev from center city PHL directly down to AC via the 42 freeway and AC Expressway.

In fact, Amtrak used to run that route many years ago. Not profitable even for a quasi government operated entity. You don't see NJTransit rail servicing any other PA stations either. This was the result of some kind of deal made when Amtrak dropped the route years back.

I'll say it again - most people flying AA on this kind of route with a PHL - ACY bus connection will not have AC as their destination. They will be AC area customers who originated their trip there and opt to do this if they can't get/pay for a ride to PHL or want to park their car. Given that AA hasn't served AC (ever?), this may be a brief experiment.
That'd be a narrow market but maybe.

Anyways, I'll be interested to see how AA prices the tickets to ACY via PHL bus.

Many times, AA offers fares to ABE less than PHL. I've seen RDU-CLT-ABE as an example, less expensive than any RDU-PHL nonstop or connect via CLT as it appears to have a premium that PHL is a hub. But that might be the case on random one-ways here and there but just something that I noticed.

if AA prices a premium to use the PHL-ACY bus then it will be unpopular.

On how parking affects, it is scarcer at PHL as the economy parking lot at PHL will not re-open:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/ph...-20211104.html

I think the typical rate at an offsite parking is in between $20-25/day, at least from checking a few ones, The Parking Spot and Wally Parking.

BWI still has low parking costs, $12 a day in a garage, but it's a bit too far for most, but still has a lot of nonstops and flights.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by PHL
Putting aside the fact that there is no NJTransit rail stop at ACY, a direct bus from PHL to ACY will be faster than the train by every metric.
There's no NJTransit rail stop at PHL either. Passengers would have to connect at ZFV for a SEPTA train to the airport.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Looks like Randy Petersen is an investor - https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...80336429301760)
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by beyondhere
That'd be a narrow market but maybe.

Anyways, I'll be interested to see how AA prices the tickets to ACY via PHL bus.

Many times, AA offers fares to ABE less than PHL. I've seen RDU-CLT-ABE as an example, less expensive than any RDU-PHL nonstop or connect via CLT as it appears to have a premium that PHL is a hub. But that might be the case on random one-ways here and there but just something that I noticed.

if AA prices a premium to use the PHL-ACY bus then it will be unpopular.

On how parking affects, it is scarcer at PHL as the economy parking lot at PHL will not re-open:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/ph...-20211104.html

I think the typical rate at an offsite parking is in between $20-25/day, at least from checking a few ones, The Parking Spot and Wally Parking.

BWI still has low parking costs, $12 a day in a garage, but it's a bit too far for most, but still has a lot of nonstops and flights.
Thankfully the off-site lot I use at PHL is still about $14 (for now), but that is up from $9 pre-pandemic.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I'm surprised AA (or DL) hasn't tried a sterile bus from LGA-JFK. How much easier would it be to book domestic-international connections if you could check your bags all the way through and remain airside the whole time? Would need to build in a hefty MCT to account for Queens traffic of course.
chrisny2, CJ99, sushanna1 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
When does this bus service begin?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
When does this bus service begin?
June 3 .. and you are supposed to be able to book them today (April 11). However, I only see them in the AA schedule -- they aren't ticketable as of 11am EDT.

In terms of who will use this service? No idea. We are based in Cape May NJ (just south of ACY) and it is a much easier airport to get to. Going to and from PHL, which is an hour and a half drive (assuming there isn't shore traffic), is quite an adventure i'd love to avoid. Bus service that arrives air side is probably the second best thing to having AA officially here in ACY. I'm hoping that this also shows up on other Oneworld airline schedules, but i won't hold by breath.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Any seat map up yet? Word on PDBs or inroad meals?
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:21 pm

AA launches bus service to PHL

Don't laugh, it may actually make economic sense:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...-philadelphia/

Here are the first and second paragraphs from this article:

American Airlines is launching a partnership to provide travelers with connections between airports … by bus.

Beginning June 3, transportation company Landline will connect Philadelphia International Airport, one of American’s hubs, to Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE) and Atlantic City International Airport (ACY). Tickets for those trips with Landline service will be available starting today. . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.