Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

Executive Platinum 10F seats, didnít get upgraded

Executive Platinum 10F seats, didnít get upgraded

Old Apr 10, 22, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by EXPLAT View Post
So even stranger that I wasn’t already upgraded during the previous multiple upgrade windows which had at least 7 available seats at the initial upgrade window, with 10 open seats showing on the seat map.
The upgrade window doesn't mean that if there are open seats at T-100, you get upgraded. It means that is when they will start processing upgrades if revenue management makes the inventory available for elite upgrades. It's not strange at all that you didn't clear a comp upgrade. With a mix of people buying, using upgrade instruments when C inventory opened up, and elites ahead of you clearing comp upgrades, it's not particularly strange to me.
Old Apr 12, 22, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond
So how’s this for strange. I have 115,000 LP’s. Tomorrows DFW-OGG flight. My wife and I are on separate PNR’s. I call the Executive Platinum desk five days prior to link them so that my wife gets my status, she’s Platinum Pro, I’m Executive Platinum. Around 24-36 hours in advance, she gets an automatic upgrade but I don’t. I’m not sure of the exact time this happened as we didn’t receive the normal email notification.

I already had missed the prior round of upgrades where 4 of 10 remaining seats were upgraded. Then of the next 3 upgrades, of the remaining 6 seats, she got one of them.

I’m on a flight so I reach out via twitter to ask what’s going on. I don’t get an answer to my question but am told I can pay the $175 plus 15,000 miles to grab one of the two C seats left of now 3 remaining seats.

I am frustrated as my spend to get to EP last year was all my own money and all leisure travel. Anyone can do the cash and miles upgrade.

Anyone else experience this scenario where a lower status person receives the auto upgrade?
Old Apr 12, 22, 3:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
So howís this for strange. I have 115,000 LPís. Tomorrows DFW-OGG flight. My wife and I are on separate PNRís. I call the Executive Platinum desk five days prior to link them so that my wife gets my status, sheís Platinum Pro, Iím Executive Platinum. Around 24-36 hours in advance, she gets an automatic upgrade but I donít. Iím not sure of the exact time this happened as we didnít receive the normal email notification.

I already had missed the prior round of upgrades where 4 of 10 remaining seats were upgraded. Then of the next 3 upgrades, of the remaining 6 seats, she got one of them.

Iím on a flight so I reach out via twitter to ask whatís going on. I donít get an answer to my question but am told I can pay the $175 plus 15,000 miles to grab one of the two C seats left of now 3 remaining seats.

I am frustrated as my spend to get to EP last year was all my own money and all leisure travel. Anyone can do the cash and miles upgrade.

Anyone else experience this scenario where a lower status person receives the auto upgrade?
The only thing I can think of is the new LP system of determining upgrades. Prior to 3/1 it was elite level then 12 month rolling spend but is it possible your wife has more LPs since 1/1 than you?
Old Apr 12, 22, 3:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by EXP100 View Post
The only thing I can think of is the new LP system of determining upgrades. Prior to 3/1 it was elite level then 12 month rolling spend but is it possible your wife has more LPs since 1/1 than you?
But wouldn't an EXP with zero LP still outrank a PP with 110,000 LP?

Might have been discussed earlier, but is OP sure his upgrades were requested as EXP? If he booked the reservation while at a lower status, perhaps that status is still controlling?
Old Apr 12, 22, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXP100 View Post
EXP trumps a PPRO which is causing my confusion.
Old Apr 12, 22, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
But wouldn't an EXP with zero LP still outrank a PP with 110,000 LP?

Might have been discussed earlier, but is OP sure his upgrades were requested as EXP? If he booked the reservation while at a lower status, perhaps that status is still controlling?
Yes, EXP trumps.

This booking was made after I was already an EXP. Prior to that, I was PPRO with more LPís and EQDís than my wife.
Old Apr 12, 22, 11:46 pm

Yes, EXP trumps.

This booking was made after I was already an EXP. Prior to that, I was PPRO with more LPís and EQDís than my wife.
When you link and she inherits your priority, does that mean that you are essentially equal (ie she also inherits your rolling LP)? So if only one upgrade is available, one of you gets picked essentially at random?

I'm just guessing here... trying to figure out something that would make sense
Old Apr 12, 22, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
When you link and she inherits your priority, does that mean that you are essentially equal (ie she also inherits your rolling LP)? So if only one upgrade is available, one of you gets picked essentially at random?

I'm just guessing here... trying to figure out something that would make sense
This sounds logical and seems like a reasonable explanation.
Old Apr 13, 22, 12:24 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
This sounds logical and seems like a reasonable explanation.
I doubt it's that, or else this place would be full of similar reports.

One seat left with an EXP and a companion next on the upgrade list probably happens daily.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 22, 10:35 am
Original Poster

This is pre gate, the upgrade of the PPRo happened at around t-36 hours. I then asked on twitter to AA why as an EP I didnít get upgraded. There were two C seats for sale and they offered me the $175 + 15,000 miles to upgrade and that I should hurry before they go away.

So I did and today there are still 4 seats available and no one on the upgrade list. AA holds the cards and they got me. Only AA knows their loads.

Last week I didnít purchase the C seat and I didnít get upgraded. Not being able to see behind the scenes makes it difficult to know how to play it.

Have 14 more of these exact trips over the next two months so learning as I go. Sitting in the Flagship lounge takes some of the edge off!
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 22, 11:12 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Also, 13 people on the upgrade list, on a 789 seems like a very short list. Shows that this leisure route has lower numbers of status flyers.

Or the status flyers did what many of us now do, buy F.
Old Apr 13, 22, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Doors are closed and F is going out with 6 empty seats. Iíve never seen that before!
Old Apr 13, 22, 1:39 pm

Have 14 more of these exact trips over the next two months so learning as I go. Sitting in the Flagship lounge takes some of the edge off!
You're flying between Texas and Hawaii 14 times in the next two months?
Old Apr 14, 22, 4:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I confess that I do not understand this upgrading pecking order. Why do I espy more initials against flights than there are in a designer outlet mall than there are seats in the F cabin? It seems also that AA are offering upgrades for cash to all sorts of people. I leave it to you to battle it out, but when I saw scenes of women shrieking at Gate Agents (yes it was Miami (is it something in the water that delivers more lunatics to AA (and others) at that station than elsewhere?)) that they had a "right" to be upgraded. I pay the cheapest F/J seat going to avoid all of this and particularly since one Gentleman (sic) saw fit to squeeze into the middle seat in Economy and whisper to me "it's your lucky day Honey - I am totally irresistible to women. We are going to be real close before we get to Miami." As we were flying from Orlando and I was positioning I was grateful to heaven that it was Miami and not Minneapolis as I might have succumbed as he had to have weighed 300 lbs.
Old Apr 14, 22, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
^^^ Welcome to the club!!!

Doors are closed and F is going out with 6 empty seats. Iíve never seen that before!
That really aggravates me the most, but I have seen upgrades done to people sitting in coach and then moved to FC

Search this Thread