Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Domestic 3-class F has gone downhill in 2022 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic 3-class F has gone downhill in 2022 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I heard a rumor from someone who has an administrative job at AA that the A321T fleet will be going away, and these will only be domestic first class going forward. I 100% cannot believe that, but this person insisted that indeed that was the case and that the A321T fleet loses money every flight. Anyone else heard anything like this? I can't imagine AA would yield this premium transcon market to Delta, JetBlue and United?!?
I would take that comment with a grain of salt. On the other hand, I could see AA using the 321XLR for these routes (There order is for 50 aircraft, and I think that there are 15 or 16 321Ts in the fleet). It will have a J cabin that sounds like an upgraded version of the 321T's F cabin. As well as a premium economy section. This could also enable them to rotate in a 777 or 789 for heavier demand times and keep the product consistent. Then the 321Ts could be converted into regular 190-seat aircraft. However, I don't see them handing this market over to DL or UA; or having B6 do it for them.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I heard a rumor from someone who has an administrative job at AA that the A321T fleet will be going away, and these will only be domestic first class going forward. I 100% cannot believe that, but this person insisted that indeed that was the case and that the A321T fleet loses money every flight. Anyone else heard anything like this? I can't imagine AA would yield this premium transcon market to Delta, JetBlue and United?!?
JetBlue already blows AA out of the water when it comes to the on-board product. Would the Flagship Lounges be only for wide-body int flights? Jesus, imagine your most premium route having 2-2 narrow-body recliners.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
JetBlue already blows AA out of the water when it comes to the on-board product. Would the Flagship Lounges be only for wide-body int flights? Jesus, imagine your most premium route having 2-2 narrow-body recliners.
I do not foresee this. Even in the BOS-LAX market where demand may not be as consistently “strong” as JFK, AA still needs to offer a lie flat to remain competitive. DL brought back DL One to all flights when demand rebounded after basically eliminating it to compete with AA / B6. (United does not fly lie-flats on its two frequencies.) As mentioned upthread, this is where the XLRs or even legacy 752s could plug in well.

The red-eyes pre / post 321T pre-Covid (after the 321T experiment) were particularly brutal, though not in the same league as PHX-BOS.
FlyFreakquently likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I cannot imagine AA ceding the entire high end transcon market to competitors, which is what they would be doing if they switched to recliners in J/F.

AA seems to have the will to fight for high end domestic pax in LAX. International is another story.

Eliminating F and just flying a 2-class narrowbody with a lie-flat J cabin is probably inevitable. Hopefully this would allow them to run "flagship service" on more domestic routes.

I still can't understand why AA can't muster up a single A321T for the 1x daily DCA-LAX-DCA turn. DL offers DeltaOne on this route and they have a fraction of AA's presence in DCA.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
One of the no1 reason premium transcon cabins get special treatment is the amount of corporate contracts that focus on them. The idea that AA would go recliner when everyone else is fully flat and lose a huge amount of those corporate deals as a result seems to me highly improbable.

Maybe I am wrong and they are indeed that crazy, but I suspect that instead it's a case of some original message with potential innocuous bit of truth in it which we will discover in the future will have been distorted from person to person till it reached FT as quite a transformed rumour.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:12 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Lax has always sold quite well up front on the transcon (both J and F) and although SF wasn’t selling quite as well during the pandemic (what was?) it’s selling very well now. Flights regularly sold out in J and Y and even F seems to be doing ok on some flights. It seems they’re even trying to get premium fares in Y by only releasing high fare classes. Will be interesting to see how well that experiment goes once this current insane supply/demand situation levels out. It would be suicide on this route to cede the high fare F and J passengers so unless they think that demand is gone can’t imagine why they would trade for normal cabins. That would pretty much be going the Alaska/virgin path and ceding all the lucrative passengers they’ve managed to build a base with, especially from LA.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The buy up to F on my $612 SFO/JFK J trip is now down to $377. Still a hard pass, as I can't imagine what sort of breakfast soup AA would serve - and the FFD at SFO is just so Gor-may, it reminds me of AC food, and you have to share your FFD with the AC crowd But seeing as how AA wanted over a grand more when I booked, and still has seven empties, you wonder why. Or maybe not wonder all that much.
I checked the current fares for next week's flight and all that is left is full F and full J. It looks like the buy-up is close to the current delta between the 2 current fares. Given the full seatmap in J and one fewer seat for sale in F than the seatmap, I expect that they'll be overselling J (still J3) and op up a few. Who knows, maybe my OWE status will get me soup. Or not.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
I checked the current fares for next week's flight and all that is left is full F and full J. It looks like the buy-up is close to the current delta between the 2 current fares. Given the full seatmap in J and one fewer seat for sale in F than the seatmap, I expect that they'll be overselling J (still J3) and op up a few. Who knows, maybe my OWE status will get me soup. Or not.
Do they offer buy-ups for award travel?
Does AA email you the buy-up offer or do you see it online (where?)?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fmkgb
I have no idea about award travel. I've not used my AAdvantage account since shortly after AA ruined AirCal and Reno Air.
I see the offer every time I open my reservation, whether on a website or on the app.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
I have no idea about award travel. I've not used my AAdvantage account since shortly after AA ruined AirCal and Reno Air.
I see the offer every time I open my reservation, whether on a website or on the app.
ok thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Yes, I've recently seen F buy-up offers for both J award travel and SWU/BXP1 upgraded tickets on this route (JFK-SFO/LAX). I've seen while accessing my reservation online but it tends to be hit-or-miss when it's offered.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Yes, I've recently seen F buy-up offers for both J award travel and SWU/BXP1 upgraded tickets on this route (JFK-SFO/LAX). I've seen while accessing my reservation online but it tends to be hit-or-miss when it's offered.

-FlyerBeek
I’ve seen similar on SWU-upgraded flights: Y-J SWU then F with the instant upgrade, or Y-J via instant upgrade then SWU to F.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
One of my AA purser friends pointed out that they no longer have a second/galley person working in the first class cabin, so the entire F experience is the purser's willingness to work and deliver the experience.

Case in point - I had 2 vastly different experience between JFK-SFO, both SF-based pursers.

On the way to San Francisco, the purser was complaining to the ground crew that she will be on reserve next month, with 38 years seniority. No PDB (unsurprisingly), addressed me by first name, order taken without an explanation why a choice is needed between soup or salad (one only). For first round of drinks, instead of using the silver cocktail tray, she used the cafeteria tray, placing as many glasses on the tray as possible, and delivered the drinks. Credit to her for refilling the drinks during meal service, but when it comes to dessert, she told me that only the sundae was left. For the rest of the flight, she was either play game on her laptop, or disappeared altogether. Instead of providing service, she just left 2 bottles of wines next to the bottled waters, presumably for self service?

So I did help myself, since those are right on top of my suite. When I asked for more wine after cookie service, she just said "we're out of wine". There was no pre-arrival drink service, other than the hot towel before landing.

And on the flip side, on the return flight, I got an op-up to first. The purser was great, apologetic about the catering issues (they boarded the wrong menu, and no salmon with the grain bowl), proper service sequence, staying in the cabin and regularly walk through the aisle to check on customers and refilled drinks. She also got one of her colleagues to help her clearing the trays, after they were done in business or economy.

It's unlikely that AA will institute a requirement that only purser-qualified FAs can work in the F cabin on domestic flights. But the discrepancy of the expected service level and what was delivered is too great to be ignored. I will be writing in, for both pursers, for the service level they delivered.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Ughhhhh... why do they even offer this product anymore if they're simply going to stop trying?
ceebee100 and SFflyer20 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Ughhhhh... why do they even offer this product anymore if they're simply going to stop trying?
On my upcoming trip, it looks like the oversell cabin for J. True inventory is J1, but for sale, J5. Flight shows as F6, with 7 seats available. The 'buy up" offer is now $484. Watch - I'll get an op up and get PTahCha's fine fine miserable crew.
BlooJoo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.