Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Domestic 3-class F has gone downhill in 2022 (consolidated)

Domestic 3-class F has gone downhill in 2022 (consolidated)

Old Mar 24, 22, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cbrown5294 View Post
AA called me first thing this morning, they listened to my concerns and said it’s been forwarded to lots of people this morning ..for whatever that’s worth
they did give me 20k miles

The 2 main reasons I choose F over J is FFD at Jfk and not having anyone next to me , I like solo seats
I do this trip 1-2 times a month but think I am going to give up and start doing B6 or DL (764) more often
sure do miss when UA had the 767 on the Jfk-Lax run
B6 seems like a quality product and the newer Mint that fly LAX->JFK look to be better then AA A321T F, but no FFD or even a lounge for B6 is that's the con so YMMV if those are important; definitely cheaper though. I have done LAX->JFK on AA's A321T in J (then someone swapped me for F), I had a great experience both on and off the ground so I'm sad to see you got a bad experience because that pillow is disgusting. I'm likely going to try LAX->EWR on the older Mint planes next month just to give it a try.
Old Jun 12, 22, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IHG PLT, UA GLD
Flying F next month SFO-JFK. Is there any difference in the soft product versus J? (food, wine, amenity kit...) SFO doesn't have FFD.
Old Jun 12, 22, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by fmkgb View Post
Flying F next month SFO-JFK. Is there any difference in the soft product versus J? (food, wine, amenity kit...) SFO doesn't have FFD.
You get soup. That's basically it. And in theory you should have more personalized service because there are 10 people in the F cabin vs. 20 in the J.

Make sure you hit up FFD on arrival into JFK if your schedule allows it. Flagship First is only worth it if you go, IMO.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Olives with the nuts
Better sparkling wine / champagne (although wine list is particularly dire the last 2 months)
Soup
Less salad than J (if they are still combining the soup/salad tray)
Some different mains
Espresso
The day blanket + lumbar pillow
Old Jun 12, 22, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently View Post
You get soup. That's basically it. And in theory you should have more personalized service because there are 10 people in the F cabin vs. 20 in the J.
Not really the case anymore since only 1 FA gets assigned to F; two to J meaning that the crew/pax ratio is the same in both and often, there are younger and more energetic FAs in J.
ceebee100 and ValleyEarl like this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Wow, that pillow is pathetic.
Old Jun 14, 22, 12:52 pm

AA now squeezes 3 class into a A321. Alaska uses the same jet for 2 class
Old Jun 14, 22, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by lrdpenn View Post
Olives with the nuts
Better sparkling wine / champagne (although wine list is particularly dire the last 2 months)
Soup
Less salad than J (if they are still combining the soup/salad tray)
Some different mains
Espresso
The day blanket + lumbar pillow
There are several wild cards with AA, but the real one not service-related is whether the flight is appropriately catered (putting aside the sub-par wine list). This has been the biggest challenge that I’ve seen on Tcon F (and international) over the past year.
Old Jun 14, 22, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer View Post
i think i could manage being "squeezed" into F. can you remind us how many passengers each configuration carries?
IggySD, orbitmic, njvandy and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, WN A-List, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I heard a rumor from someone who has an administrative job at AA that the A321T fleet will be going away, and these will only be domestic first class going forward. I 100% cannot believe that, but this person insisted that indeed that was the case and that the A321T fleet loses money every flight. Anyone else heard anything like this? I can't imagine AA would yield this premium transcon market to Delta, JetBlue and United?!?
Old Jun 14, 22, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold View Post
I heard a rumor from someone who has an administrative job at AA that the A321T fleet will be going away, and these will only be domestic first class going forward. I 100% cannot believe that, but this person insisted that indeed that was the case and that the A321T fleet loses money every flight. Anyone else heard anything like this? I can't imagine AA would yield this premium transcon market to Delta, JetBlue and United?!?
I doubt that AA will get rid of the lay flat beds, better catering, and lounge access. Delta One and Polaris will eat AAs lunch with just a domestic first service. The product can change (merge J and F), but the fundamentals need to remain the same.
Old Jun 14, 22, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
On a recent AA300 JFK-LAX last Friday, was in J but the lady had an unwanted upgrade so I moved up to F. The floor, man, that's nasty. Other than that, everything seems okay, the lumbar pillow is really nice though. Not something I would pay extra for the onboard experience though. But, on that Friday, Priory check-in took me 20 minutes or more, while the F check-in seemed to be much faster. As others mentioned, it is just a regular counter separated by cardboard walls in the concourse, next to priority. The real First check-in was closed.
Old Jun 14, 22, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Spanish View Post
Wow, that pillow is pathetic.
The buy up to F on my $612 SFO/JFK J trip is now down to $377. Still a hard pass, as I can't imagine what sort of breakfast soup AA would serve - and the FFD at SFO is just so Gor-may, it reminds me of AC food, and you have to share your FFD with the AC crowd But seeing as how AA wanted over a grand more when I booked, and still has seven empties, you wonder why. Or maybe not wonder all that much.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer View Post
You will love easyJet!!! They only have ONE class in the whole plane. Pure luxury!!!
Old Jun 14, 22, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold View Post
Would not surprise me if they dropped F, doubt they will run recliner domestic F though they might as well just drop the route at that point or go all Y. With B6 running the new Mint on the LAX-JFK route (which you can earn AA miles on), and even the older Mint offering 4 "suites" the only differentiator AA has is the lounge and frankly on LAX-JFK I'd take the new Mint seats over AA F, and double that for AA J.

I recall before AA saying how much $ these flights made, so if they're losing now its because they let the product go. Really reminds me of UA PS, when it launched PS F was really good and was differentiated from PS J by more than a soup. But slowly over time it degraded and eventually also became meh. End of the day no US airline seems capable or willing to offer a proper 3 class F, its just taking AA longer than UA/DL to come to that realization.

Search this Thread