Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Domestic 3-class F has gone downhill in 2022 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic 3-class F has gone downhill in 2022 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:34 am

I have never been on AA transcon F but I have flew Virgin before. From the picture, Virgin had much better seats.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:22 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
In most ways I actually prefer the business cabin on the A321T. The seat feels less enclosed and congested. What can set F apart is FFD (when it's available), and if you're working during the flight the seat is a bit more comfortable for that. Sorry for this poor experience.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
That looks like black mold ... some can be toxic
Was just going to say that it is definitely mold, especially if the pillow was moist...
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
yep

That could have happened from a recent flyer. Did you report it?
That is not the same even close to what the OP experience.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You mean I shouldn't take AA up on its "you can fly in the opulent splendor of our gormay First Class Cabin" for only an extra $753" offer that I keep receiving for my transcon J flight? I was thinking that it might be worth it for the SFO FFD experience
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Yes, report it to customer service. They'll throw miles your way for just about anything substantive (and perhaps even outlandish claims). That pillow is disgusting. I hope it was properly disposed of...t looks like it could have the next variant.
If they ever reply. I wrote 2-3 times about broken IFE in J on aTATL and they just ignored my emails (EXP)
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
It is simply GROSS!
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
that is absolutely disgusting and odd they didnt have an extra pillow. i'm sorry that happened to you but yes complain as much as you can!

the first seats and especially the padding have always been super hard and sub-par and i prefer the business seats frankly for this reason. i fly F these days just because i dont want to be next to a person but in the past in F i have asked to move back to J to nap (jfk to sfo when it was empty mostly on saturday evenings) solely because the f seat has always sucked in terms of actual comfort. it was just the privacy and lack of neighbor which keeps me booking. to each their own obviously.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by VSLover
i fly F these days just because i dont want to be next to a person but in the past in F i have asked to move back to J to nap (jfk to sfo when it was empty mostly on saturday evenings) solely because the f seat has always sucked in terms of actual comfort. it was just the privacy and lack of neighbor which keeps me booking. to each their own obviously.
Privacy and ground service, particularly FFD, are the reasons to choose F over J. The hard product (especially the seat itself) was never really a reason to choose F, IMO, even when the A321T product was brand new. The soft product on board isn't much of a reason right now, either.
VSLover and ceebee100 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Besides in lay-flat...I also think the J seat is more comfortable in a reclined position. Maybe it is my body but the F legrest is so awkward. I'd still take the privacy flying solo though, that is a really great feature of F. It's almost easy to imagine anyone else is on the flight.

Once with a companion I was op-uped to F (but not my companion, we were on different reservations) and it was a pretty easy choice to trade the person next to my companion my F seat.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
That could have happened from a recent flyer. Did you report it?
That is not the same even close to what the OP experience.
They are the OP..
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Flew SFO-JFK-BOS in December in F and did a BOS-JFK in "J" (i.e., J seats sold as MCE) earlier today so I now have a (flawed) point of comparison. Definitely like the J seat a lot better and will probably book that on future awards (especially since it's available on AS award bookings and I have far more AS miles than AA). F on my December booking was really only worth it for FFD in JFK, which was great.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have had better overall experience in F than J, even during Covid. That said, I am usually flying on miles, and it's not that much more for F vs. J. Most of the time J isn't available since I book award flights almost always last minute.

Just redeemed a last minute ticket (traveling in less than 24 hrs) for 43.5K miles in F - AA clutch in saving my wallet when everyone else is asking an arm and a leg.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
AA called me first thing this morning, they listened to my concerns and said it’s been forwarded to lots of people this morning ..for whatever that’s worth
they did give me 20k miles

The 2 main reasons I choose F over J is FFD at Jfk and not having anyone next to me , I like solo seats
I do this trip 1-2 times a month but think I am going to give up and start doing B6 or DL (764) more often
sure do miss when UA had the 767 on the Jfk-Lax run

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.