Guide to underseat luggage space?

Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: American airlines
Guide to underseat luggage space?

I’ve been searching everywhere but is there any guide to the space or size of bags that can fit under seats in different aircraft?

I have short legs and use my bag under the seat in front of me as my footrest basically. I can’t really get comfortable otherwise without putting my feet up on the seat or partition in front (I wouldn’t!).

I don’t really care where I sit and get upgraded 50/50 maybe? But if I want to sleep and my upgrade is for an aisle seat then I try to find someone to give it to instead so I can snuggle against the window with my feet up on my bag.

BUT now I keep running into issues where the GAs want to check my bags because it’s a full flight (“no no I really want to have my bag with me and won’t take up any extra space!”) or it’s an older plane that my go-to carryon wouldn’t work for but I could’ve brought my back-up foot rest bag instead if I had known!

sorry if this sounds crazy, but I swear I used to always be able to put a much larger carry-on under the seat. I don’t need anything in the bag during the flight. I just really like having the footrest.

any ideas on how to figure out window seat under-seat storage space??
BERGBRLY likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:48 am

If you follow the guidelines for personal bags on AA.com, you should be fine:

Personal item

Your personal item like a purse or small handbag must fit under the seat in front of you. Dimensions should not exceed 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm).
I have a camera bag that is exactly those dimensions and have never had an issue putting it under the seat. Avoid bags that have rollers, as GAs may assume that a roller bag is beyond the dimensions of a personal item. Best to get a bag that you can wear on your back.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ebuck
If you follow the guidelines for personal bags on AA.com, you should be fine:

Personal item

Your personal item like a purse or small handbag must fit under the seat in front of you. Dimensions should not exceed 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm).
I have a camera bag that is exactly those dimensions and have never had an issue putting it under the seat. Avoid bags that have rollers, as GAs may assume that a roller bag is beyond the dimensions of a personal item. Best to get a bag that you can wear on your back.
Thank you for your response but it doesn’t really relate to my situation.

edit- I apologize for being rude with my above response. Part of your answer did address my question and the rest was only off because my initial post was not at all clear. I know it’s late, but just wanted to apologize and thank you for your help!

Last edited by bethyy; Apr 25, 2022 at 10:15 pm Reason: Sorry my last response was rude. I appreciate the response and apologize that I was in a bad mood when I posted my response!
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
The GAs goal is an on time departure. It's much easier to tell everyone no than to take the word of a passenger who says their bag fits. If they tell you yes than what about the next 3 passengers that swear their bag will fit too so its ok. I remember not long ago there was a poster asking AITA for carrying on a massive hiking backpack and taking up the entire bin but justifying it because, "it's the same size as a rollaboard with its handles extended!" Some people will try to get away with whatever makes life more convenient for them and not care about their impact on others. I know that is not your case here but the GA wont see it that way.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:10 am

OP's real question is whether there is information about the actual dimensions of the under seat area for bag storage. Most aisle and window seats I have been in tend to have less actual area than the middle seat. OP asks about window seat area, which is compressed often due to the curvature of the fuselage.

I don't have a resource for the OP, but my wife has a small, square rolling suitcase that often fits. She will roll it to the gate but carry it by the handle when boarding. This works most every time. Using a soft sided bag would seem to be the best bet. Some have wheels and can be rolled.
bethyy likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I do remember a recent flight, but it might have been on DL, where my underseat computer bag didn't fit due to equipment installed under the seat. Other than that it has always fit, although I often select bulkhead seats on AA, knowing I will have to put the bag up top. Fortunately I just bought a slightly smaller laptop which will fit in a seat pocket, and I haven't had any issues with FA's allowing me to take it out before I stow my laptop bag up top and leaving it in the seat pocket during takeoff.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by bethyy
I’ve been searching everywhere but is there any guide to the space or size of bags that can fit under seats in different aircraft?
Which particular aircraft type are you looking at?

There are threads dedicated to nearly every aircraft type here in the AA forum, and for larger aircraft there are separate threads for business and economy sections. That would be the appropriate place to ask this question.

I'd be happy to assist you in finding the thread for the aircraft type you will be traveling on.
bethyy likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Not the exact answer the OP is seeking, but I've sometimes brought an inflatable footrest with me on longer flights. It was handy when I flew to SYD in economy in the exit row.

Looks like there are lots of options out there. Here's one as an example:
Amazon Amazon
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I'm confused, you get upgraded 50/50 meaning you have status. Even as a gold I can think of one time, that I was not able to bring my bag on board. Are you consistently running into flights where you are in boarding groups 1 and 2 and cant bring your bag on?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: American, Marriott/spg
Underseat dilemma

I have the exact problem as you. I found that an underseat bag with wheels so often didn't fit in certain planes and was left with a somewhat uncomfortable flight. I resorted to a soft-sided bag and put something hard in it, like a book. I try to arrange the contents of the bag in a kind of pile that I can put my feet on. It isn't as stable as my old computer case roller, but it fits under almost all seats (the exception are the regional planes that have one seat on one side of the aisle; in that situation I make sure to have a seat on the two-seat side). Hope this helps
bethyy likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by AAdamE
I'm confused, you get upgraded 50/50 meaning you have status. Even as a gold I can think of one time, that I was not able to bring my bag on board. Are you consistently running into flights where you are in boarding groups 1 and 2 and cant bring your bag on?
The only thing I can think of is OP is talking about Eagle flights where you have to valet check roller boards. In which case, you need to meet the personal item requirements so just do that or valet check.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K
As they've introduced seatback power, etc. there are various equipment boxes that encroach into the space under various seats. It varies a lot between aircraft and individual seat so I think OP is going to have a tough time answering this question. Also, keep in mind they want the bags to fit all the way under the seat for quick evacuation so if OP is hoping to leave the bag hanging out as a footrest during takeoff/landing that's not going to be an option.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
As they've introduced seatback power, etc. there are various equipment boxes that encroach into the space under various seats. It varies a lot between aircraft and individual seat so I think OP is going to have a tough time answering this question. Also, keep in mind they want the bags to fit all the way under the seat for quick evacuation so if OP is hoping to leave the bag hanging out as a footrest during takeoff/landing that's not going to be an option.
I think that this is really it. The answer varies by seat to seat, even on the same aircraft.

I think OP's best bet is to get something that meets the "personal item" dimensions posted above. Then it will always fit, no matter the aircraft or the seat.
dc10forlife likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by bethyy
BUT now I keep running into issues where the GAs want to check my bags because it’s a full flight [...] I swear I used to always be able to put a much larger carry-on under the seat. [...] any ideas on how to figure out window seat under-seat storage space??
I would be surprised if for a given aircraft type, if under-seat storage area has changed in any appreciable way. But I could be wrong. On RJ's my experience has been that any bag with wheels can frequently catch a GA or FA's attention and they'll say they need to gate check it. So I've moved to avoid that when I'm on a regional.

I will say that I usually travel with a Patagonia Black Hole Mini MLC 26L travel bag and it's been fine underseat on every flight I've been on, from mainline A320's / B737's to the much smaller RJ's. It's advertised measurements are 19.5 x 12.25 x 6 inches.

I also frequently travel with my camera bag - a Think Tank Retrospective 7, with advertised external dimensions
13.5 x 9.5 x 6 inches. Always fits underseat.

AA's "personal item" (i.e. for underseat stowage) max size dimensions are 18 x 14 x 8 inches.
dc10forlife likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
don't have a resource for the OP, but my wife has a small, square rolling suitcase that often fits. She will roll it to the gate but carry it by the handle when boarding. This works most every time. Using a soft sided bag would seem to be the best bet. Some have wheels and can be rolled.
Yes, exactly! Carrying a soft sided bag with wheels might help more to allow it on board and be able to squish it under the seat. Smart wife 👍

Originally Posted by AAdamE
Sorry think I explained it badly. My issue/question is whether a given bag will physically fit under a seat. Like how there’s the seatguru and other sites that show info with seat width and pitch and all of that. Was wondering if there’s a way to see under-seat dimensions. Ideally by aircraft and actual seat but think I’m asking a lot…
I WANT to put my bag under my seat specifically so that I can use it as a foot rest. Knowing the dimensions for different planes would help me choose bags and pack accordingly.

Originally Posted by pnak
I have the exact problem as you. I found that an underseat bag with wheels so often didn't fit in certain planes and was left with a somewhat uncomfortable flight. I resorted to a soft-sided bag and put something hard in it, like a book. I try to arrange the contents of the bag in a kind of pile that I can put my feet on. It isn't as stable as my old computer case roller, but it fits under almost all seats (the exception are the regional planes that have one seat on one side of the aisle; in that situation I make sure to have a seat on the two-seat side). Hope this helps
yessss you get me hahah. Short legs too??
Do you use soft-sided wheeled duffel type bag or suck it up and carry a backpack or something?
And for those regional single cabin 1-2s, you prefer one of the seats on the 2 side even when traveling alone?
Ive been mostly going with the 1 side but think I might have the wrong idea now….

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
The only thing I can think of is OP is talking about Eagle flights where you have to valet check roller boards. In which case, you need to meet the personal item requirements so just do that or valet check.
yes, a bunch of the flights that I can’t fit my bag under the seat on are the eagle ones, but I don’t expect to be putting a roller bag into those. Sounds like I might just need to pick out a better soft “personal item” that I can use for my purpose!

Originally Posted by mtofell
tucked under the seat is fine! And you’re right, the electronics might be part of what keeps messing me up!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.