Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SFO checkin agent - non-001 ticket means no elite bag benefits

SFO checkin agent - non-001 ticket means no elite bag benefits

Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by 777lover
what was the flight out of SFO? It wasn’t one of those crazy Skywest flights that have both. An AA and a UA # is it?
I've haven't seen this out of SFO (or elsewhere for that matter). The flights that they operate for AA & UA are independent of one another. And OP said this was on a transcon anyways.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by ovacikar
Why would a work related trip rely on personal airline elite status to cover the bag fees? The travel agent should have made the reservation using a proper booking class including bags.
U.S. Government contract airfares for domestic flights don't include checked bags. Checked bag fees are an allowable government expense under the Federal Travel Regulations.
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by 777lover
It wasn’t one of those crazy Skywest flights that have both. An AA and a UA # is it?
What SkyWest flights have both AA and UA flight numbers?

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
As an occasional government traveler myself, I highly recommend you request split ticketing in the future. It's easy for CWT/SATO to simply issue two separate tickets for the same cost without requiring any additional approvals and helps to avoid all sorts of issues with the operating carrier (this being one of them).

-FlyerBeek
Did SATO stop charging a small fee for every ticket issued (or reissued)?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did SATO stop charging a small fee for every ticket issued (or reissued)?
I've never seen SATO assess a separate fee for split ticketing. If they do, it's billed behind the scenes and not on any ticket receipt (I've certainly never had to add it to any travel voucher I've submitted). They do charge a small fee ($30, IIRC) for rebooking issued govt tickets for personal convenience (for example, when taking leave in conjunction with official travel and using the value of the original ticket).

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted (wrong forum, wrong thread)
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by ovacikar
Why would a work related trip rely on personal airline elite status to cover the bag fees? The travel agent should have made the reservation using a proper booking class including bags.
That would mean booking J or F. A bit much, no?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Djokison
Most likely... (I suppose there could be corporate deals where certain fare classes include a checked bag, but this is gov't and I have no idea.)
Of course the easy solution is the employer just pays the bag fee. The savings from elite status accrue to the company, which seems quite altruistic on the part of the employee, but of course sometimes there are travel budgets and being able to trim may serve another purpose.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Djokison
Main cabin plus would do it.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Main cabin plus would do it.
As I previously mentioned, government contract fares, even the ones that are not capacity controlled (YCA) don't include bags. But the government just pays the bag fees as an authorized expense under the Federal Travel Regulations.

For example, in my case, if the contract carrier is AA, there's no bag fee for me, but if I fly for work on a city pair where DL is the contract carrier, the government just reimburses the bag fees as a business expense.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Since when did AA increase their baggage fee again? I remembered last time I check they were $30/$40.

If the agent did ask for $35, maybe the ticket had a glitch?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by shd9
Since when did AA increase their baggage fee again? I remembered last time I check they were $30/$40.

If the agent did ask for $35, maybe the ticket had a glitch?
Because the first flight on the ticket is UA-coded, UA is the Most Significant Carrier, hence UA bag fees apply for the entire ticket. I don't believe it should mean OP should be charged, though. However, if someone who doesn't have status with AA bought the same ticket, AA can rightfully charge 35USD instead of 30USD.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Because the first flight on the ticket is UA-coded, UA is the Most Significant Carrier, hence UA bag fees apply for the entire ticket. I don't believe it should mean OP should be charged, though. However, if someone who doesn't have status with AA bought the same ticket, AA can rightfully charge 35USD instead of 30USD.

Very interesting. So not only did they incorrectly charge me, but AA pocketed an extra 5 bucks in the process!
Or does AA actually send the ill-gotten $35 to UA?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Or does AA actually send the ill-gotten $35 to UA?
I don't think so. If there was an onward connection from an AA flight to a UA flight, maybe AA would need to share part of the 35USD with UA, but I am not exactly sure, either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.