FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Cheapest Flight/Route on AA (merged threads) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2072781-cheapest-flight-route-aa-merged-threads.html)

mvoight Sep 29, 2021 8:08 am

Cheapest Flight/Route on AA (merged threads)

Is there any easy way to find the lowest fare on AA from and to anywhere?

javabytes Sep 29, 2021 8:21 am

Google Flights, put in your origin and leave destination blank.

PHL Sep 29, 2021 8:30 am

I think the OP is looking for a wide open search. Google flights requires at least a city of origin. Then with the results you can filter the airline down to AA and other criteria.

For PHL, for example, when I plug in USA as the destination I see I can go to MIA for $40 nonstop on Oct 16.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...da99e827b3.png

mvoight Sep 29, 2021 9:39 am

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 33605338)
I think the OP is looking for a wide open search. Google flights requires at least a city of origin. Then with the results you can filter the airline down to AA and other criteria.

For PHL, for example, when I plug in USA as the destination I see I can go to MIA for $40 nonstop on Oct 16.

Exactly, trying to use a flight credit, to get maximum trip credit on the remainder, to combine with other trip credits, so origin is not important
Found LAS-LAX, or vice versa, midweek in Oct for $38.40
I was previously told there would be a $50 charge because the original ticket was booked through an agency.

lrbenko Sep 29, 2021 9:48 am

Is there an app that shows where you can go forward a certain dollar amount from an origen airport, but without dates? For example, I want to see the cheapest/farthest flight from CLT for the remainder of the year.
Does this exist?

xliioper Sep 29, 2021 10:14 am

Originally Posted by lrbenko (Post 33605547)
Is there an app that shows where you can go forward a certain dollar amount from an origen airport, but without dates? For example, I want to see the cheapest/farthest flight from CLT for the remainder of the year.
Does this exist?

Google Flights shown above has a "Flexible Dates" option that will show you cheapest prices over the next 6 months. Just click in the date field and select Flexible Dates (instead of Specific Dates) above the date field and it will show you cheapest prices on map over next 6 months (or you can select a specific month out of next 6). Generally, you can find cheapest fares during slower travel periods (like October and early November before Thanksgiving) by searching for Tue/Wed/Sat travel (lowest demand days) at least 3 weeks out (cheapest domestic fares often have a 21 day advance purchase requirement). For example, 21 days out from today would be October 20th and later dates. You can expect pricier fares around holidays and during peak summer demand season. Also, Florida fares tend to ramp up in early February through mid-spring.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b8dc143ee0.png

ATOBTTR Sep 29, 2021 11:47 am

JFK-MIA for as cheap as $49 one-way. If you're AA PLT or above, you can even get the Premium Economy seats. Not a bad deal at all for $49 (minus still having to deal with Prohibition).

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c34d08bf6a.jpg

mvoight Sep 29, 2021 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 33605868)
JFK-MIA for as cheap as $49 one-way. If you're AA PLT or above, you can even get the Premium Economy seats. Not a bad deal at all for $49 (minus still having to deal with Prohibition).

I actually decided to fly to MIA for my Nov cruise out of FLL for this reason. MIA is usually a lower price and I will gladly drive to extra distance (MIA to Seminole Hard Rock before, and Port Everglades to MIA after) to fly the PE seats.
Our corporate auto rental rate has no drop fee, and I like Executive Emerald Aisle. Got a nice sporty Charger on my rental out of FFL a couple of weeks ago

Pittie Pup Sep 29, 2021 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 33605522)
Exactly, trying to use a flight credit, to get maximum trip credit on the remainder, to combine with other trip credits, so origin is not important
Found LAS-LAX, or vice versa, midweek in Oct for $38.40
I was previously told there would be a $50 charge because the original ticket was booked through an agency.

I have been told the same regarding the fee. My ticket originally was purchased from AMEXTravel.com. Trip credit showed as available in my AA wallet. After calling in, the agent informed me that applying the credit towards a new reservation I had on hold (booked via aa.com) would cost me $50. They explained AA would take over the trip credited ticket and then be able to apply that credit toward the new reservation I had on hold.
I just phoned Amex Travel and had them apply the credit to another AMEXTravel.com booking on AA avoiding the $50 fee.

mvoight Sep 29, 2021 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pittie Pup (Post 33606168)
I have been told the same regarding the fee. My ticket originally was purchased from AMEXTravel.com. Trip credit showed as available in my AA wallet. After calling in, the agent informed me that applying the credit towards a new reservation I had on hold (booked via aa.com) would cost me $50. They explained AA would take over the trip credited ticket and then be able to apply that credit toward the new reservation I had on hold.
I just phoned Amex Travel and had them apply the credit to another AMEXTravel.com booking on AA avoiding the $50 fee.

Did that generate a trip credit on aa.com, or did ticket cost more than the flight credit?

Pittie Pup Sep 29, 2021 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 33606200)
Did that generate a trip credit on aa.com, or did ticket cost more than the flight credit?

My new ticket was more than the available credit, so the whole credit was applied to the new booking. No residual unused value was left over.

I have had AA trip credits from 0012 stock applied to new bookings that exceeded the ticket cost. What I saw was the full value of my new ticket deducted from the available trip credit in my wallet online. I believe that trip credit ticket number remained the same, but I don't recall if the expiration date reset or not.

I have had paper vouchers that were applied to new bookings that were less than the new ticket cost. Each time AA mailed me a new paper voucher with the balance of the credit and the expiration date would reset itself each time extending the time frame I could use a single credit.

mvoight Sep 29, 2021 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pittie Pup (Post 33606232)
My new ticket was more than the available credit, so the whole credit was applied to the new booking. No residual unused value was left over.

I have had AA trip credits from 0012 stock applied to new bookings that exceeded the ticket cost. What I saw was the full value of my new ticket deducted from the available trip credit in my wallet online. I believe that trip credit ticket number remained the same, but I don't recall if the expiration date reset or not.

I have had paper vouchers that were applied to new bookings that were less than the new ticket cost. Each time AA mailed me a new paper voucher with the balance of the credit and the expiration date would reset itself each time extending the time frame I could use a single credit.

I was finally able to book a trip online using existing flight credits for the people traveling, but that was a higher priced ticket, so I had to add money with a cc
I don't know why it never worked before. I was also able to change an active booking and was able to see the prices adds/credits amounts when looking at the options.
In the end, for that trip, I got $20 trip credits, per person

jelarv Mar 21, 2022 1:56 pm

Cheapest Route on AA

I have a $2700 travel credit on AA that expires in July but I don’t need to travel by then. I just learned from speaking with the AA desk if I use a portion of this credit they will issue a new credit that doesn’t expire for another year. So my goal is to find the cheapest flight I can find on an AA, purchase it, and not travel, but get remaining balance as a new travel credit. Is there any site/app that helps find the cheapest route on aa.com?

xliioper Mar 21, 2022 2:11 pm

Google Flights Map View showing LAX-SFO for $45 on May 11th in Main Cabin.

jelarv Mar 21, 2022 2:14 pm

Thank you!!!