Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cheapest Flight/Route on AA (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest Flight/Route on AA (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming you don't purchase Basic Economy or anything fully refundable, can't you just cancel the booked flight after >24hr (rather than no-showing)? Since you are not entitled to a refund won't they issue you a new cert for the amount paid for the flight? You will be splitting your cert into two certs but not losing any value.

Or does that not work?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT 5MM
That’s a great idea…I’ll give it a try
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Assuming you don't purchase Basic Economy or anything fully refundable, can't you just cancel the booked flight after >24hr (rather than no-showing)? Since you are not entitled to a refund won't they issue you a new cert for the amount paid for the flight? You will be splitting your cert into two certs but not losing any value.

Or does that not work?
In my experience this does not work. Your new flight credit will have the same expiration date as the original one you used to make the reservation.

I have had success filling out the form online and politely requesting an extension from Customer Relations. I even did this on behalf of my wife who has no status. She was granted a 10 month extension until the end of the year with no pushback. It just takes a few business days to process.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by njvandy
In my experience this does not work. Your new flight credit will have the same expiration date as the original one you used to make the reservation.

I have had success filling out the form online and politely requesting an extension from Customer Relations. I even did this on behalf of my wife who has no status. She was granted a 10 month extension until the end of the year with no pushback. It just takes a few business days to process.
This is the general customer service webform?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:39 am

I did something similar booking the cheapest *main cabin* fare and cancelling it >24 hours after booking. New trip credit for the residual amount (original value - $30) issued for a year from date of cancel. I think it was a fare out of Miami actually. $30. Might have been MCO or MSY. I was thinking that $30 that stayed as a flight credit was a lost cause but had an agent offer to extend the expiration date of the flight credit when I called in to complete a booking asking to use trip credits. YMMV
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:53 am

Dca to Bos is usually between 35 and 45 for basic economy
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
LGA-BOS is another route that is often dirt cheap. I've used this one for the exact purpose the OP described
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:12 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
The OP would probably be looking at flights out of ORD, looking at his profile, although hasn’t actually mentioned this as a condition.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by DC9
The OP would probably be looking at flights out of ORD, looking at his profile, although hasn’t actually mentioned this as a condition.
The OP isn’t planning on taking the flight. It doesn’t matter what city they fly out of.
JJeffrey, Mr. BoH and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:05 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Djokison
The OP isn’t planning on taking the flight. It doesn’t matter what city they fly out of.
Yeah. OK. Must have missed the “and not travel” bit. 🤣
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:45 am

Keep in mind you can't book basic economy if the original flight credit was for main cabin. At least that has been my experience. I once found a MIA-JFK (on a widebody aircraft!) for $40 on a main cabin fare.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
This is the general customer service webform?
Yes, https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=#/

Select "Customer Relations" from the drop down menu.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:10 pm

Location: SYD, YYZ, Southwest UK, a beach somewhere in the world
Programs: AC Prestige, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Cheapest AA flight?

Hello all,

trying to turn a flight credit for myself into a travel credit that I can use for a family trip. Need to find the cheapest flight possible to book (one-way is fine) to turn the balance of my flight credit into a travel credit. Can anyone point me to a super cheap flight I could book to release the rest of the value of my travel credit ($3,700)?
Old May 1, 2022, 4:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
LAX to PHX or LAS should be sub $100
Old May 1, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ACN Consultant
Hello all,

trying to turn a flight credit for myself into a travel credit that I can use for a family trip. Need to find the cheapest flight possible to book (one-way is fine) to turn the balance of my flight credit into a travel credit. Can anyone point me to a super cheap flight I could book to release the rest of the value of my travel credit ($3,700)?
$89 DCA-PIT https://www.google.com/travel/flight...en-GB&curr=USD

but I'm sure you can do better if you look harder or wait it out... I think the $36 fares are gone, but I bet there are some $59-$69 fares around

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.