Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Auto upgrade processing at 40 minutes in effect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auto upgrade processing at 40 minutes in effect

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
Had an odd experience this week. Flight had three open seats at T-40. I was #2 but eventually bumped to #3 presumably due to a last minute check in of a higher elite. Figure my odds are good and assumed at T-40 I would get the seat. About 30 mins out I notice the agent cleared 1, 5, and 6 on the list which I find super odd. Figure maybe it might have been some sort of displaced revenue J passenger or something odd like that. Didn’t really want to make a stink and the line to talk to gate agent was really long. Eventually when I’m boarding I ask why the upgrade list was processed so weird and she says, oh I didn’t think you were here and I’m already done processing the list. So something decidedly did not process automatically or the gate agent overrode for no clear reason.

not sure why the auto-upgrade process didn’t work but one reason might have been J seats blocked due to Y oversell which maybe causes things to revert to a manual GA process of course prone to all the occasional GA shenanigans. Really hoping the auto-upgrade process eliminates this BS.
What airport did this happen at? They should clear the list as written. If you “aren’t there” then they can move to the next person when you don’t board at T-15. The whole point of mobile boarding passes is for this exact reason.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by ceebee100
Why would she think you weren’t there? Did you not check in? Did you arrive from a late connecting flight? Did she call your name and you didn’t hear?? I mean, what could possibly make her think you weren’t there?
Great question, I found it quite odd as well. I was checked in hours in advance, was not connecting. Did not hear my name called although I don’t usually get to the gate until close to boarding time.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
What airport did this happen at? They should clear the list as written. If you “aren’t there” then they can move to the next person when you don’t board at T-15. The whole point of mobile boarding passes is for this exact reason.
Yah, very familiar with the way it’s supposed to work as I’ve generally never had a problem with it before. Happened at SFO. I was honestly kinda shocked (particularly by the comment) but also didn’t want to make a stink and felt bad that if I did make a stink it would trigger someone to lose their upgraded seat.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
Yah, very familiar with the way it’s supposed to work as I’ve generally never had a problem with it before. Happened at SFO. I was honestly kinda shocked (particularly by the comment) but also didn’t want to make a stink and felt bad that if I did make a stink it would trigger someone to lose their upgraded seat.
I'm a bit confused. Does the upgrade list on your phone/the boarding screen reflect the true order and what a GA would see? For example, a passenger on the list might be number six but is actually a paid J displacement and therefore should be upgraded before 1-5? Also, can the GA skip over the priority? So for example in this case if their non reving buddy is down the list can they simply ignore those ahead and make it so the OP would have never seen a checkmark next to their name?

It's a very weird comment if the OP was at the gate and present. One thing to note I'm finding it more and more common that GAs aren't calling paxs up to the podium and issuing a new BP, assuming your phone has refreshed.
Old May 15, 2022, 7:03 pm

The agents likely will not add you after the 40 minute cutoff.

Originally Posted by cova
Don't know about last minute ticket. I have in the past stood by for an earlier flight, and had to wait until it cleared until agent could add to the upgrade list. They can't add you if you are just on the standby list, have to clear first.

Not sure how the standby (just to get on the flight) works. I think that may still work the same way as before. Not sure if automated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.