Where did the DFW - HNL 787 go?

Old Mar 19, 22, 11:57 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 208
Originally Posted by _kurt View Post
Right, I really donít know, and I figured someone who knows better would be along shortly to correct me, but DFW-HNL is 3784 miles by the great circle route and Airbus states their newly delivered 319s are capable of 4300+ miles. It seems at least plausible the route could be operated by a 319. Therefore I was unwilling to accept a blanket statement without evidence that the route couldnít possibly be operated by a narrowbody
Take those manufacturers range numbers with a grain of salt.
1. They are in still air. Add in a 100 kt headwind, perfectly possible in winter and the effective distance to HNL is 700 miles more.
2. Your distance is the great circle route, rarely achieved in real life. Add 100 miles.
3. If destination weather requires an alternate, you must be able to fly to your destination and then to your alternate. Add another 100 miles. If weather is bad, add another 100 miles for flying in circles holding.
4. If pressurization is lost at the worst time (max distance from land), plane must descend to 10,000 feet and fly to the nearest suitable airport burning a lot more fuel. Add 500 extra miles equivalent for more fuel burned lower down.
5. With full fuel there may well be a payload restriction, either not able to take full pax load or restricted on bags or cargo.
6. Those range figures are often calculated at Long Range Cruise, often 15-20% slower than normal flight speeds. Your 8 hour flight has just become 9 hours...

So you won't often see airplanes actually flying the max distance stated by manufacturers. So perhaps an empty 319 could be ferried DFW-HNL non stop at Long Range Cruise, but that doesn't mean it's suitable for revenue service.
_kurt, Mr. BoH, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Raymoland is offline  
Old Mar 20, 22, 3:40 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: WAS/TYO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Posts: 5,596
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
AA’s 319 aircraft regularly fly to shallow South America (BOG, UIO, etc), which involves flying across the Caribbean more than 50 miles out over water. So the A319s must have all of the extra comm/safety equipment to be ETOPS rated.
Don't forget that Extended Overwater and ETOPS are two completely separate things. I'm unsure if any of AA's A319s are ETOPS certified. Most (if not all) of AA's South American flying is not ETOPS.

-FlyerBeek
EuropeanPete and wrp96 like this.
FlyerBeek is online now  
Old Jun 6, 22, 8:39 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 24
Resurrecting this as my August DFW-HNL still shows as a 772. I note that from 01 July all the DFW-HNL flights are showing as 772s.

my initial thoughts on this are that AA may change this (would have to be soon) and assign 789s.

is the 01 July a normal date for an AA schedule change? It also appears to be the date that AA5 replaces the AA115.

does anyone have any insider info as to whether this will likely change to a 789 nearer the time? Iím on AA5 on 10 August.

thanks
Mockerz89 is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 10:32 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Posts: 878
I don't have insider info, but 787s are in short supply, which I assume is what is driving the use of a 772. Pragmatically, whether they operate a 789 or 772 wouldn't seem to be a huge deal for the passenger experience.

I also just got a "flight change" notice from my HNL-DFW flight in August. Oddly, they just changed the flight number from AA 8 to AA 115. Times and equipment remained the same, at least for now. I wonder what the rationale for changing the flight number but nothing else is?
Mr. BoH is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 11:50 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 892
My late July DFW-HNL flight was switched from the 787 to the 777. However, the OGG-DFW return flight was switched from a 777 to a 787. Go figure.
MASTERNC is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 12:00 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH View Post
I don't have insider info, but 787s are in short supply, which I assume is what is driving the use of a 772. Pragmatically, whether they operate a 789 or 772 wouldn't seem to be a huge deal for the passenger experience.

I also just got a "flight change" notice from my HNL-DFW flight in August. Oddly, they just changed the flight number from AA 8 to AA 115. Times and equipment remained the same, at least for now. I wonder what the rationale for changing the flight number but nothing else is?
this is true unless the 772 has the old Zodiac seatÖ
Mockerz89 is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 12:45 pm
  #22  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 13,753
Originally Posted by Mockerz89 View Post
Resurrecting this as my August DFW-HNL still shows as a 772. I note that from 01 July all the DFW-HNL flights are showing as 772s.

my initial thoughts on this are that AA may change this (would have to be soon) and assign 789s.

is the 01 July a normal date for an AA schedule change? It also appears to be the date that AA5 replaces the AA115.

does anyone have any insider info as to whether this will likely change to a 789 nearer the time? Iím on AA5 on 10 August.

thanks
I don't expect any more schedule changes for August. The schedule change that posted MAY 29 covered August.

Last edited by seawolf; Jun 6, 22 at 11:01 pm
seawolf is online now  
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:13 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Posts: 878
Originally Posted by Mockerz89 View Post
this is true unless the 772 has the old Zodiac seatÖ
I may be in the minority, but I don't find the rockers that bad. You can sit in one of the singles if it really bothers you. Plus I believe some of the 787s still have Zodiacs too. Certainly a Zodiac seat >>>>>> an F seat in 321neo
Mr. BoH is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 10:56 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 5
Flying AA 5 and AA 8 dfw-hnl and hnl-dfw in October. Hoping the flights stay on the 787-9. Doing premium economy and we like our seats!!
Whiteknuckledflyer is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 11:14 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,270
If you are searching for the wide body they often switch it from HNL to OGG at least that what happens from PHX. So look for it going to Maui
Centurion is online now  
Old Jun 11, 22, 10:27 am
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 12,591
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
If you are searching for the wide body they often switch it from HNL to OGG at least that what happens from PHX. So look for it going to Maui
For the DFW flights, it's always going to be a widebody. The only change will be which one.
wrp96 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread