SWU UK APD charge on part of itinerary

Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

SWU UK APD charge on part of itinerary

Hi. I understand there is a charge for using a SWU departing UK for the APD, but I'm not sure if this is correctly charged. If anyone can give me some clarification, that would be much appreciated. If this is incorrectly charged, how do I go about getting a refund from AA?

Regular economy trip all on AA code/codeshare LAS-LAX-MAD-VCE. Return was BA metal VCE-LHR, then AA metal LHR-DFW-LAS. LHR-DFW segment upgraded to business class with SWU, but with $250 fee (assuming APD). As my flight is VCE to LAS, I thought the APD doesn't apply. Am I correct or AA correct?

Thanks for any help or clarification.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TravelBug1314
Hi. I understand there is a charge for using a SWU departing UK for the APD, but I'm not sure if this is correctly charged. If anyone can give me some clarification, that would be much appreciated. If this is incorrectly charged, how do I go about getting a refund from AA?

Regular economy trip all on AA code/codeshare LAS-LAX-MAD-VCE. Return was BA metal VCE-LHR, then AA metal LHR-DFW-LAS. LHR-DFW segment upgraded to business class with SWU, but with $250 fee (assuming APD). As my flight is VCE to LAS, I thought the APD doesn't apply. Am I correct or AA correct?

Thanks for any help or clarification.
You are correct, the APD would definitely not apply on the return, assuming of course that your connection in LHR is under 24 hours.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You are correct, the APD would definitely not apply on the return, assuming of course that your connection in LHR is under 24 hours.
Thank you. The connection in LHR was about 3 hours. Any idea on how I go about requesting a refund for the charges?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Just an update. Though AA sent me email regarding charges for new tickets with upgrade, I'm not sure charged it as I don't see any credit card charges. Sorry if this all turns out to my misunderstanding.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. The connection in LHR was about 3 hours. Any idea on how I go about requesting a refund for the charges?
Look at post 5 & the wiki here-->UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: OWE - AA Plat Pro, Lifetime Plat, BA nobody (blue)
Just an update. Though AA sent me email regarding charges for new tickets with upgrade, I'm not sure charged it as I don't see any credit card charges. Sorry if this all turns out to my misunderstanding.
When I have used a SWU ex-UK, I get an email with the new ticket information, but with cost/charge details that while having some basis in reality, overall are just fantasy. The last one showed a ticket cost of 70, plus taxes of 136, so a cost of 206. The 70 turned out to be the fare element of the original ticket, the 136 must represent the extra APD of 101 that is roughly $136. In fact in total I was charged 105, which was the the 101 converted to $, plus the credit card foreign currency fee. Thanks AA, for converting a fee to $, just so my credit card can convert it back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.