Helping some family stuck in PHL

Old Mar 13, 22, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
I am surprised they gave up on the trip given they had a decent amount of time left to enjoy SJU, but I do appreciate these things can be really discouraging for people that do not travel a lot. I try to make the best of a bad situation and always pack some clothes on the plane with me in case something like this happens. While the weather was pretty crappy in PHL, take the train to the city and maybe enjoy a night in a city they possibly haven't been to before. Even if they don't feel like leaving the hotel.
If they had planned a Sat-Friday stay, Tues-Friday, is really not the same, and this way they get their tickets refunded, so they can fly to SJU another time.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 22, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage
The thing is you can't get a straight answer. Flying home yesterday MIA/CLT and flight gets cancelled. I have to check a bag. The only option to get me home yesterday was CLT/PIT/MIA (and yes I should have just overnight in CLT and left tonight). I get the run around as far as what happens to my bag because I miss the flight back to MIA. I'm told of variety of things but in the end stop at the gate as I'm coming off the flight and have the GA radio baggage operations and tell them to put the bag on the carousel. No bag on the belt and spent over an hour going back and forth with baggage claim (app showed the bag loaded and unloaded) until magically it "appeared" at the baggage claim office.
Old Mar 13, 22, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
I am surprised they gave up on the trip given they had a decent amount of time left to enjoy SJU, but I do appreciate these things can be really discouraging for people that do not travel a lot. I try to make the best of a bad situation and always pack some clothes on the plane with me in case something like this happens. While the weather was pretty crappy in PHL, take the train to the city and maybe enjoy a night in a city they possibly haven't been to before.
That's the difference between us and them. They fly maybe once every 16-18 months. I recommended the exact same thing and they were on board with staying a night in downtown philly. Maybe two. But when they found out it was three...

The added stressor yesterday was that this was the first time they were taking their two youngest with them and I think dealing with them complaining for several hours was the final nail in the coffin. LOL. I don't blame them.
mcgahat and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 13, 22, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by EXP100 View Post
The thing is you can't get a straight answer. Flying home yesterday MIA/CLT and flight gets cancelled. I have to check a bag. The only option to get me home yesterday was CLT/PIT/MIA (and yes I should have just overnight in CLT and left tonight). I get the run around as far as what happens to my bag because I miss the flight back to MIA. I'm told of variety of things but in the end stop at the gate as I'm coming off the flight and have the GA radio baggage operations and tell them to put the bag on the carousel. No bag on the belt and spent over an hour going back and forth with baggage claim (app showed the bag loaded and unloaded) until magically it "appeared" at the baggage claim office.
It's nice to see the spirit of US is still alive and well this long after the merger.
Old Mar 13, 22, 8:47 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
What about their lodging at SJU? Did they managed to get this refunded? Where they staying with relatives?
Old Mar 13, 22, 8:49 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
If they had planned a Sat-Friday stay, Tues-Friday, is really not the same, and this way they get their tickets refunded, so they can fly to SJU another time.
I guess I had assumed they had taken time off work etc already but assuming they are able to cancel PTO etc and just rearrange later. What you mention definitely makes sense.
Old Mar 13, 22, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Barely); Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
Now that the people you are assisting have made their immediate decision, it might be in their best interest for you to suggest they booked a routing that didn't have much of an IRROPS fallback; and learn from it. Goofy as the Miami airport is, if they flew there first there would have been backup flights to San Juan.

(Not saying I know a rebooking was even available before takeoff through Miami or DFW, with or without a change fee, but possibly. As is they flew into a predicted storm).

After saying upfront I've flown for decades and never been in a position to declare a "Trip in Vain", or know what refund rights the passenger has or does not have for the leg already flown and their return home; it appears some people responding to you do know details. They seem to be suggesting there may be something for the displaced passengers to follow up on and assert. They also seem to be offering guidance how to engage the process.

Let us know how that goes. Just refunding the unflown legs after a weather cancellation is not AA doing anyone any special favors. It's just giving their money back for a service not provided.

Last edited by jayer; Mar 13, 22 at 5:57 pm
Old Mar 15, 22, 6:28 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by dave_261 View Post
Exactly... OP did the right thing coming here asking for options, but in this scenario, they were obviously quite limited.

This community can't eliminate IRROPS situations, but I'd imagine that FT lurkers and posters fare FAR better than 'regular' travelers when IRROPS happen. We know when to call/stand in line/visit the AC. We know to look for any possible alt routing. We know it's always best to tell the agent what you want, vs. just letting them search. 90%+ of AA flyers don't know this and ultimately don't get what they want (and then post something on Facebook saying AA treated them like dirt and they will never fly AA again).
I can’t be the only one tired of being good at IRROPS. It is always something thing. Yesterday it was a computer reset that threw a 2 hour delay and then on my next flight to my not home airport we had to change aircraft after boarding. Thankfully made it home five hours late with an hour long Uber.
Old Mar 15, 22, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Other alternative, is they could have bought a pass for AC and done it from there, didn't see anyone mention this, is this even an option? We have membership so don't know but we book it straight to AC for these things too. For SJU definitely tell them the next time to route through miami as there are a lot of daily flights from here and MIA-SJU flights don't tend to get cancelled alot, they do but not alot lol
Old Mar 15, 22, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayer View Post
Now that the people you are assisting have made their immediate decision, it might be in their best interest for you to suggest they booked a routing that didn't have much of an IRROPS fallback; and learn from it. Goofy as the Miami airport is, if they flew there first there would have been backup flights to San Juan.

(Not saying I know a rebooking was even available before takeoff through Miami or DFW, with or without a change fee, but possibly. As is they flew into a predicted storm).

After saying upfront I've flown for decades and never been in a position to declare a "Trip in Vain", or know what refund rights the passenger has or does not have for the leg already flown and their return home; it appears some people responding to you do know details. They seem to be suggesting there may be something for the displaced passengers to follow up on and assert. They also seem to be offering guidance how to engage the process.

Let us know how that goes. Just refunding the unflown legs after a weather cancellation is not AA doing anyone any special favors. It's just giving their money back for a service not provided.
The reality is there are no real rights to compensation in the US in these situations. Even when it is not weather related, US regulations and the AA Contract of Carriage do not really provide for anything other than a hotel for overnight delays as there are no mandatory compensation laws like they have in EU. Airlines are not required to reimburse you should you book alternate transportation on your own (they only have to refund your flights in these delay and trip-in-vain situations should you book alternate travel on your own or decide to return to your origin -- they are not required to refund should they rebook you to your original destination).

In weather related events, EU regs also have "Duty of care" requirements which do not exist in the US. The only real mandatory compensation situation in the US involve involuntary denied boardings (IDB) in cases where you have confirmed seat on a flight and they aren't able to board you because the flight is oversold. IDB compensation does not apply to cancelled flights where the plane never departs (even if is due to mechanical reasons or other non-weather events).

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 15, 22 at 7:06 am
Old Mar 15, 22, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I am surprised they gave up on the trip given they had a decent amount of time left to enjoy SJU, but I do appreciate these things can be really discouraging for people that do not travel a lot. I try to make the best of a bad situation and always pack some clothes on the plane with me in case something like this happens. While the weather was pretty crappy in PHL, take the train to the city and maybe enjoy a night in a city they possibly haven't been to before. Even if they don't feel like leaving the hotel.

Good to always have this one in your back pocket on situations like this. This is an old link but I am sure it is still applicable. I have never had an issue getting a refund from AA in these situations. I typically have had to do it after the fact though.

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...ip-in-Vain.pdf
that is a very helpful link. Is that in the wiki for newbies?
Old Mar 15, 22, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by miadukes View Post
Other alternative, is they could have bought a pass for AC and done it from there, didn't see anyone mention this, is this even an option? We have membership so don't know but we book it straight to AC for these things too.
When the clubs are full, they stop selling day passes. Encountered this at MIA in November, where I was told that if I already had the pass in my wallet they'd let me in, but they weren't allowed to sell new passes that day. Very likely with the mess in PHL that day, the clubs were full.
miadukes likes this.
Old Mar 15, 22, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayer View Post

It's also a good idea to avoid connecting in regions that are prone to bad weather delays at certain time of years, when possible. That said, mid-March is the tail end of winter storm risk in the Northeast, and IND could certainly be exposed (and impossible to avoid as the origin), but an original connection via CLT or MIA or even DFW probably would have been a safer bet than PHL, holistically. Of course if the inbound aircraft on IND-MIA was coming from PHL and delayed due to deicing or something, well, best laid plans...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 22, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
When the clubs are full, they stop selling day passes. Encountered this at MIA in November, where I was told that if I already had the pass in my wallet they'd let me in, but they weren't allowed to sell new passes that day. Very likely with the mess in PHL that day, the clubs were full.
PHL terminal A clubs are currently closed. So only 2 of 4 clubs operating at this time. Not sure if they are allowing day passes even without the increased volume of a heavy IRROPS.
wrp96 likes this.

Search this Thread