Wiki Posts
Search

No Loyalty Points...for AA purchase?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum
No Loyalty Points...for AA purchase?

I have the Citi AAdvantage Executive and just had my first post-LO rollout statement post to my AA account. There was a separate line item for "Citi AAdvantage Bonus for AA Purchase" - I'm assuming flights I booked during this period. Oddly, these don't count as loyalty points - so instead of earning 2 loyalty points per dollar for AA purchases, it's just one? This may have been the intention/case all along and I've just forgotten, but can anyone confirm this is the case?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
I have the Citi AAdvantage Executive and just had my first post-LO rollout statement post to my AA account. There was a separate line item for "Citi AAdvantage Bonus for AA Purchase" - I'm assuming flights I booked during this period. Oddly, these don't count as loyalty points - so instead of earning 2 loyalty points per dollar for AA purchases, it's just one? This may have been the intention/case all along and I've just forgotten, but can anyone confirm this is the case?
My understanding is that for purchases on "bonus" categories on both the Citi and Barclays cards, you only get bonus redeemable miles, not bonus LPs.
_kurt likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks guv1976 - I definitely was aware of the "bonus category" situation, but I guess for some reason was thinking actual AA flights would code as base. I guess there would have been no reason for me to think this. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Doesn't your monthly balance total post as LP. Wouldn't that include the AA flight spending? I'm going to review my statements but I thought it was setup to have base AA card spend post as LP
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by psusaver
Doesn't your monthly balance total post as LP. Wouldn't that include the AA flight spending? I'm going to review my statements but I thought it was setup to have base AA card spend post as LP
It could certainly include at least the dollar spend, but not necessarily the 2 points per dollar spend on AA flights, which is the question - whether those 2 points per dollar are both loyalty points, or just the cash equivalent.
psusaver likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
It could certainly include at least the dollar spend, but not necessarily the 2 points per dollar spend on AA flights, which is the question - whether those 2 points per dollar are both loyalty points, or just the cash equivalent.
It's been clear from the beginning that the extra mile is just an RDM.
psusaver and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
It's been clear from the beginning that the extra mile is just an RDM.
Thanks vasantn - I appreciate the clarification, and sorry for wasting everyone's time!
psusaver likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, that was the intention and case all along. It's pretty clear on the AA website. Spend in bonus categories only earns LP for the base amount, which is 1 mile per dollar for most cards.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yup, that was the intention and case all along. It's pretty clear on the AA website. Spend in bonus categories only earns LP for the base amount, which is 1 mile per dollar for most cards.
Do you know if AAdvantage promos count though? For example, under aa.com, logging into your account, promotions, there's a Hertz promo stating "For a limited time, earn 2 miles per every $1 spent on your next Hertz car rental." Would this be 2LP/$1? A recent trip at the end of February with Avis is stated as "AVIS 7 DY JFK AIRPORT NY," awarding me 1,000 base miles so this should be LP right?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Raralith
Do you know if AAdvantage promos count though? For example, under aa.com, logging into your account, promotions, there's a Hertz promo stating "For a limited time, earn 2 miles per every $1 spent on your next Hertz car rental." Would this be 2LP/$1? A recent trip at the end of February with Avis is stated as "AVIS 7 DY JFK AIRPORT NY," awarding me 1,000 base miles so this should be LP right?
My guess would be No for Hertz; Yes for Avis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.