Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bonus Loyalty Points from Citi AA Executive Spending ($40,000 = 10,000 point bonus)?

Bonus Loyalty Points from Citi AA Executive Spending ($40,000 = 10,000 point bonus)?

Old Jul 13, 22, 8:24 am

Programs: AA PP/2MM/AC; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I was wondering where those extra Loyalty Points came from.
Old Jul 13, 22, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
I believe you are correct that it is the posting date to the AAdvantage account that matters for Loyalty points. My statement closed on Jan 4th and I received Loyalty Points for the spend on that statement. Those showed up in a Jan-Feb loyalty point adjustment in my account since LP launched in March. Still no 10k bonus for me even though if I add up the card purchase postings for 2022 on my AA account as suggested previously I would have passed the threshold with my April 4th posting. They have a few more days to correct based on the ticket opened so hopefully it will be handled.
That is similar to my situation but Citi is now saying I haven't reached the spend. That would only be the case if the trigger is the date of posting to the Citi account, not the AA account. In other words, Citi now seems to be excluding charges that posted in December, but were on the January statement and were included in the January total of LP's.

I asked Citi weeks ago if I had met the spend and they said I had, but now are saying I didn't.
Old Jul 13, 22, 9:34 am

Programs: AA - Plat. Pro; 1W Emerald; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Citi and Barclays have consistently held that what matters for annual earning are those dollars spent in the calendar year - not based on dollars spent during a statement period.
Old Jul 13, 22, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Citi and Barclays have consistently held that what matters for annual earning are those dollars spent in the calendar year - not based on dollars spent during a statement period.
Here is the full language (emphasis added): "The primary credit cardmember will earn 10,000 additional Loyalty Points after spending $40,000 in purchases that post to the cardmember’s account each qualifying year. The 2022 qualifying year will be defined as January 1, 2022 to February 28, 2023 (14-month period). Starting in 2023 and going forward, a qualifying year will be defined as beginning on March 1st and ending on February 28th of the following year (12-month period)."

This implies they're using the posting date of the transaction, not the consolidated spend on a statement date. I think what may have tripped me up is I passed the threshold under either calculation in the same month, so I never noticed the distinction.
Old Jul 13, 22, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
Here is the full language (emphasis added): "The primary credit cardmember will earn 10,000 additional Loyalty Points after spending $40,000 in purchases that post to the cardmembers account each qualifying year....
Hence my question as to which account. I really thought there was a discussion early on that 1) indicated that Citi's language referred to the closing date of the statement and 2) wondered whether or not Barclays was going to do the same thing as opposed to using the posting date of the charge.
Old Jul 13, 22, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ord Liza View Post
Hence my question as to which account. I really thought there was a discussion early on that 1) indicated that Citi's language referred to the closing date of the statement and 2) wondered whether or not Barclays was going to do the same thing as opposed to using the posting date of the charge.
That language was pulled from Citi's marketing materials, so I would assume it means the Citi account, not the AA account. However, the closing date of a statement period is not the same as the posting date of a transaction. It seems, based on a post further up the thread, that Citi looks at the posting date of transactions when determining when to tell AA the spend has been met.
Old Jul 13, 22, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
That is similar to my situation but Citi is now saying I haven't reached the spend. That would only be the case if the trigger is the date of posting to the Citi account, not the AA account. In other words, Citi now seems to be excluding charges that posted in December, but were on the January statement and were included in the January total of LP's.

I asked Citi weeks ago if I had met the spend and they said I had, but now are saying I didn't.
If you go into your account on their website ( not sure about the app) then you can do a transaction search from Jan 1st to current to see what your spend has been in the calendar year. Even under this scenario which is what I was using initially I passed the threshold of 40k spend on April 16th and 3 statements have cut and posted to my AA account since with no 10k LP bonus. It's like it's automated but if the automation doesn't work the customer service agents with AA and Citi have no idea what to do.

I'll probably wait till 3 or 4 days after my August statement posts and if I still do not see the LP bonus I'm going to call the AA executive liaison. It's very frustrating.

What's confusing for me is that the LP for my December 4th to Jan 4th statement posted fully as LP for this year. Seems like only the Spend from Jan 1 to Jan 4th should have posted.
Old Jul 13, 22, 2:16 pm

I'm not sure how Barclays handles it but they do actually have a spend tracker on their website that shows how close you are to passing each threshold for the 5k LP bonus. My first 5k bonus with them posted without issue.
Old Jul 13, 22, 3:55 pm

If you go into your account on their website ( not sure about the app) then you can do a transaction search from Jan 1st to current to see what your spend has been in the calendar year. Even under this scenario which is what I was using initially I passed the threshold of 40k spend on April 16th and 3 statements have cut and posted to my AA account since with no 10k LP bonus. It's like it's automated but if the automation doesn't work the customer service agents with AA and Citi have no idea what to do.

I'll probably wait till 3 or 4 days after my August statement posts and if I still do not see the LP bonus I'm going to call the AA executive liaison. It's very frustrating.

What's confusing for me is that the LP for my December 4th to Jan 4th statement posted fully as LP for this year. Seems like only the Spend from Jan 1 to Jan 4th should have posted.
Yes, same here: my spend from December, that posted in January, counted as LP's too. I am surprised that they are treating the spend differently for the two purposes. Also, when the first Citi rep told me that I had met the spend for the bonus, she would have had to have counted the portion of the spend that posted to my AA account in January from charges that posted to my Citi account in December. Later though Citi told me that it was in AA's hands and AA told me it was up to Citi. I'm going to be there soon anyway without it, so it's not worth pursuing it with them right now. I was just trying to track down what now seems to have been an inaccurate recollection of something said on FT. But you are right - it is frustrating.

As to tracking it, I know exactly which transaction would have triggered it under both methods of calculation.
As to Barclays, theirs have been easy to track and I've had no trouble with posting.
MorganB likes this.
Old Jul 14, 22, 5:36 am

I think what may be happening is AA credits the standard LPs from charges on the day those LPs are posted to your AA account, which is usually 1-2 days after the statement period ends. However, Citi must have a tracker it uses to notify AA when the annual spend reaches the threshold. While those additional 10K LPs count in the year they post to your AA account, just like regular charges, Citi must track only those posted charges in the year they post to your Citi account when determining when to notify AA to apply those additional 10K LPs.

I'm guessing this is the case piecing together my own experiences and what agents are apparently now telling folks when they call.
MorganB likes this.
Old Jul 14, 22, 7:11 am

I think what may be happening is AA credits the standard LPs from charges on the day those LPs are posted to your AA account, which is usually 1-2 days after the statement period ends. However, Citi must have a tracker it uses to notify AA when the annual spend reaches the threshold. While those additional 10K LPs count in the year they post to your AA account, just like regular charges, Citi must track only those posted charges in the year they post to your Citi account when determining when to notify AA to apply those additional 10K LPs.

I'm guessing this is the case piecing together my own experiences and what agents are apparently now telling folks when they call.
I agree. We can access Citi's "year to date" feature, so clearly it's readily available to them with no special tweaks. Should be easy for them to use that to trigger a communication to AA re the bonus.
MorganB likes this.
Old Jul 14, 22, 7:25 am

I think what may be happening is AA credits the standard LPs from charges on the day those LPs are posted to your AA account, which is usually 1-2 days after the statement period ends. However, Citi must have a tracker it uses to notify AA when the annual spend reaches the threshold.
This is fairly standard, I think, and would have been my first guess about how it worked absent any data points.

The key takeaway here (and it applies to all AA cobranded CCs) is that if you are relying on CC spend to get to a certain status level at the end of the qualification period, your statement needs to close in Feb. Spend at the latter part of Feb, after your statement closes, will count towards the following year.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 10:08 pm

Just an update to my July 6th post. The ticket that was opened for the 10k missing loyalty points from my Citi Exec card went no where. I spent almost an hour on the phone with the advantage desk today. The ticket was opened for missing miles and a promotional offer, both incorrect. The agent today, while completely unaware of the 40k spend / 10k LP bonus benefit of the card, was dedicated, intelligent and was able to understand what I was asking. She worked with a supervisor and they reviewed my account for the entire year and ultimately confirmed that I was indeed due the 10k LP. The supervisor sent an escalated email to Citi and they expect resolution this week. It appears Citi never sent over the request to post the LP bonus. I never received an email saying I crossed the 40k threshold even though I did on April 16th. It appears that for some reason the system glitched and didnt issue it for my account. There really isnt a standard resolution in place for this sort of thing and the agents at Citi and AA are not informed of the particulars of the card benefits. Im hopefully this will finally resolve my missing 10k LP. I will update when I have more info.
Old Aug 26, 22, 1:42 am

Final update. The customer service agent that helped me in the post above emailed me today letting me know that the 10k LP had been deposited into my account. The way to go is to call AA Advantage Customer Service for resolution. Don't waste your time with Citi. I crossed my 40k spend April 16 and It finally posted August 26th and only because I persisted.

Last edited by MorganB; Aug 29, 22 at 12:06 am
Old Aug 26, 22, 5:17 am

Programs: AA - Plat. Pro; 1W Emerald; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
On my Citi card, I cross the 40k threshold on August 9th and my 10k LP bonus posted with my monthly statement a week or so later.
USFlyerUS likes this.

Search this Thread