Checking in...(online vs. at airport?)

Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Checking in...(online vs. at airport?)

Going to seem like a dumb question so a bit of background. Haven't flown AA in a long time. I usually fly SWA (for the CP) and, as you probably know, you need to checking ahead of time to get a decent boarding position.
The question: Since I'm checking bags on AA, is there any reason to check in ahead of time instead of just doing it when I check my bags?
Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pkerr
Going to seem like a dumb question so a bit of background. Haven't flown AA in a long time. I usually fly SWA (for the CP) and, as you probably know, you need to checking ahead of time to get a decent boarding position.
The question: Since I'm checking bags on AA, is there any reason to check in ahead of time instead of just doing it when I check my bags?
Thanks
No huge advantage if you need to check bags, other than maybe having your seat re-assigned but that would be rare. Not checking bags the idea is that if something happened and you didn't get to the airport until late you would at least already be checked in. Personally even when I check bags I still check in at T-24.
wrp96, ksucats, Spanish and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXP100
No huge advantage if you need to check bags, other than maybe having your seat re-assigned but that would be rare. Not checking bags the idea is that if something happened and you didn't get to the airport until late you would at least already be checked in. Personally even when I check bags I still check in at T-24.
What you said is pretty much what I figured. No bags to check then bypass the counter, especially if you are running late.
Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:28 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thanks
A small note since it's been a while since you've flown AA...way back when, the luggage cutoff for domestic flights was 30 min. A few years ago, it changed to 45 min. (I got caught once and ended up having to switch to a later flight since I was so used to cutting it close and getting to the airport 30-40 min before departure.)

Latest check-in times are here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nd-arrival.jsp
aztimm, wrp96, myfrogger and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JY1024
A small note since it's been a while since you've flown AA...way back when, the luggage cutoff for domestic flights was 30 min. A few years ago, it changed to 45 min. (I got caught once and ended up having to switch to a later flight since I was so used to cutting it close and getting to the airport 30-40 min before departure.)

Latest check-in times are here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nd-arrival.jsp
Thanks for that!! Much appreciated.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I see you're a lifetime platinum. The only other reason you might want to check in early is to see your position on the upgrade list, if you haven't already been upgraded. The list is normally viewable in the app ~8 hours before departure, but you have to be checked in to get on it.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
I see you're a lifetime platinum. The only other reason you might want to check in early is to see your position on the upgrade list, if you haven't already been upgraded. The list is normally viewable in the app ~8 hours before departure, but you have to be checked in to get on it.
Thanks for that. Seeing as there are 2 levels ahead of me I'm not holding my breath, but you never know.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Marginally related to the question. I always check in 8-24 hours ahead of time and (if possible*) always print a hard copy boarding pass before I get to the airport, even when checking skis and bags. IIRC, there was a situation years ago, before boarding passes on mobile phones were common, when all of one airline’s computers went down for a few hours or a day. Boarding passes could not be printed at the airport, only those who had printed boarding passes before getting to the airport were allowed to board.

Hard to imagine that happening today but I still like to have a paper boarding pass in case Murphy’s Law and MacGillicuddy's Corollary rear their ugly heads.

(* Occasionally check in while away from home without access to a printer.)
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Thanks
One advantage is that if the flight is oversold then the last to check in are bumped if they can't get enough volunteers.
lougord99 and awayIgo like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Marginally related to the question. I always check in 8-24 hours ahead of time and (if possible*) always print a hard copy boarding pass before I get to the airport, even when checking skis and bags. IIRC, there was a situation years ago, before boarding passes on mobile phones were common, when all of one airline’s computers went down for a few hours or a day. Boarding passes could not be printed at the airport, only those who had printed boarding passes before getting to the airport were allowed to board.

Hard to imagine that happening today but I still like to have a paper boarding pass in case Murphy’s Law and MacGillicuddy's Corollary rear their ugly heads.

I typically do that as well.. for the reason you mentioned AND in case my phone were to die.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski

Different airline, but the internet and power like to go down at STT. I had a hand written Spirit boarding pass one time. I really wished I had printed it before hand. It was touch and go for a bit.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I typically do that as well...
Glad I’m not the only one, I sometimes feel a little overly compulsive when I print a paper boarding pass, especially when I have to check bags (which I never do at curbside baggage check).

… phone were to die.
If it happens during security screening or boarding, it would certainly meet the spirit of Murphy’s Law and MacGillicuddy's Corollary.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I prefer to check in ahead of time because the inability to check in can reveal an issue with your ticket. I don't remember all the specifics, but there was a time where I couldn't check in, called to inquire, and after some pressing, discovered my ticket hadn't been reissued properly. Much less stressful to deal with ahead of time and not at the counter at the airport. Like the other examples, it's a rare occurrence but since it doesn't really cost me anything to check in ahead, it's helpful.
fdog and CLT like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:39 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
I prefer to check in ahead of time because the inability to check in can reveal an issue with your ticket. I don't remember all the specifics, but there was a time where I couldn't check in, called to inquire, and after some pressing, discovered my ticket hadn't been reissued properly. Much less stressful to deal with ahead of time and not at the counter at the airport. Like the other examples, it's a rare occurrence but since it doesn't really cost me anything to check in ahead, it's helpful.
+1 This is a really good point, especially for international tickets where the tariff desk was involved at some point or if upgrade instruments were attached/processed.

These days, for my domestic flights, I check-in at the airport when I’m checking a bag. When I only have carryons, I usually check-in on my app on my way to the airport so I can have mobile boarding passes ready if needed. (I tend to have last-minute changes to my travel plans and find that it’s harder for agents to help me if they have to first “undo” the check-in to play around with my ticket.)

For international tickets, I do check in 8-24 hours prior to departure. Similar to what AsiaTraveler mentioned, I had a trip where I had an upgrade instrument attached, but it had not been processed correctly, thus was not a valid ticket when I tried to checkin at the airport counter. Thankfully I had enough time to call the EXP desk to have them contact the fare desk to reissue. But now, I try not to cut it that close.
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:01 am

I always arrived at the airport 1.5 hours before flight time if I have no lounge access. 4 hours if I have lounge access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.