Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (Be aware of possible upgrade priority changes as of Loyalty Points becoming the qualifier for rewards)

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. EQD earned, possibly changing to Loyalty Points earned, in the past 12 months (rolling) as far as we know today
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.

For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Can't tell if I'm the unluckiest EXP, or DEN has become a hotbed of EXPs or cheap buy-up offers. A flight I was certain to get an upgrade on, DEN-CLT red-eye on a weekday night, showing J4 with less than 4 days out is now zeroed out in the front and seat map is fully booked. Sometimes I wonder if I'm getting skipped over or people are buying up to F.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
Can't tell if I'm the unluckiest EXP, or DEN has become a hotbed of EXPs or cheap buy-up offers. A flight I was certain to get an upgrade on, DEN-CLT red-eye on a weekday night, showing J4 with less than 4 days out is now zeroed out in the front and seat map is fully booked. Sometimes I wonder if I'm getting skipped over or people are buying up to F.
Did ski season start in Denver?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
You are correct. I’m curious as to how this will play out.
Have seen this before as well, for myself. Don't recall how it played out, but have the same scenario for a couple February trips. Platinum.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
J4 isn't that wide open up front, and it is Thanksgiving week, entirely plausible that some of the less frequent flyers took the buy-up offers when they checked in (probably the first time they're checking their reservation since booking).
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Platpro 190k LP

SNA-ORD : was 6/21 for the original flight. Ended up delayed 7 hours and was 3/10 on the new flight. 1-5 were upgraded at the gate before the flight. (this was a Sunday afternoon flight)
ORD-SNA: upgraded at T-61. 19 on the list and 0 were upgraded at the gate. (this was a Sunday morning flight)
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
J4 isn't that wide open up front, and it is Thanksgiving week, entirely plausible that some of the less frequent flyers took the buy-up offers when they checked in (probably the first time they're checking their reservation since booking).
It was J7 a week before, that 3 C (award bucket) opened up. The same flight/routes the next day have J7 or J4 in the evening as well.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:00 am

It was J7 a week before, that 3 C (award bucket) opened up. The same flight/routes the next day have J7 or J4 in the evening as well.

And 6 battlefield upgrades after boarding was halfway through.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA CK; UA 1K
CK 262k LP

LAX -PHL - Early AM Friday flight, nobody was upgraded, I was #1 on the list
PHL-LAX - Sun mid afternoon flight, wife and I both upgraded after boarding was completed, we were #1 and 2 on the list.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:38 pm

EXP 250K

11/28 CUN ORD was C0 until today, then C1 this morning. Was 1 F seat visible for months. Two seats 4E and 4F opened this morning.

I applied for a mileage upgrade for 2, months ago, but didn’t expect seats to open. 12 hours after those 2 seats opened for purchase, they processed my mileage upgrade.

Is it worth 30K and $150? I think so. When I fly solo I’m fine with Y.

Nice to see that status has value. Price for seats in F were $2500 more than Y, and I got upgraded both directions for 60K and $300.

Now hoping my Christmas upgrades process next!

Also snagged two paid upgrades for ORD MIA in mid February but they seated us 3A and 4C even tho 4A was open. Weird.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 1:22 pm

Currently Platinum, with enough LPs to drop to Gold next year.
Cleared 3/4 flights this week prior to departure. Sadly, didn't take any of these flights due to illness. Ugh. Happy Thanksgiving you all!

11/21, PHX-DCA, did not upgrade prior to switching flights
11/21, DCA-PIT, upgraded, ~T-48
11/23, PHX-DCA, upgraded, ~T-24
11/23, DCA-PIT, upgraded, ~T-48
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
Complimentary upgrades on award tickets are only for Exec Plat members, right? I'm Plat, and yet on this very much award ticket, my reservation shows a complimentary upgrade is requested, exactly how it shows on comparable paid tickets? This is for ORD > DCA on American metal, booked through AA.com. (So no, I don't need First Class on the 90 minute flight and won't be bothered if it turns out to be an IT fluke but was surprised to see that in the View Reservation page...)
I don't know what happened, y'all. I had the upgrade confirmation email at 47 hours and 50 minutes before departure. I triple checked and this was an award booking, albeit a Web Special, but that would make it even less logical to get the complimentary upgrade. My spouse was on the reservation with me and both our seats were upgraded. Just got home from this flight; didn't want to say anything in advance in case I jinxed it!

Thoughts?
b8brooks likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
I don't know what happened, y'all. I had the upgrade confirmation email at 47 hours and 50 minutes before departure. I triple checked and this was an award booking, albeit a Web Special, but that would make it even less logical to get the complimentary upgrade. My spouse was on the reservation with me and both our seats were upgraded. Just got home from this flight; didn't want to say anything in advance in case I jinxed it!

Thoughts?
Web specials don't book into the usual award inventory of T/U so somehow the system got confused and didn't realize you were on an award ticket. Just enjoy the unexpected upgrade and don't think too much about it
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
EP just re qualified following last flight
11/18 DTW-PHL crj900 cleared when I changed to flight about 3 days before
PHL-EYW A319 cleared t-24
Was originally booked on DTW-DFW-EYW and both flights were J1&J0 before ep window
11/28
EYW-MIA e175 cleared at window
MIA-CLT 772 cleared at window
CLT-DTW crj900 has not cleared yet
Old Nov 26, 2022, 7:55 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
LHR-PHX Mon 11/28 been showing J5-7 for the last week.

Waitlisted with 2 SWUs for this 772.

T-30 got an EF alert that C2 opened up.

Called into EXP line and they processed it.

PHX-PHL was wide open in F and we cleared that at the T-100 window the day before thanksgiving.

We missed PHL-CDG a few days ago….but they did upgrade us to W for free on the 787 due to my EXP status and my SWUs not clearing.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage
MIA/STL yesterday Saturday 11/26 upgraded at T-100. No one on the upgrade list but F was full. STL/DFW 1 for 42 on the upgrade list (so much for elites don't travel much over the holidays). Didn't clear. Friday I have a SNA/JFK flight on the A321T and so far J7 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.