Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (Be aware of possible upgrade priority changes as of Loyalty Points becoming the qualifier for rewards)

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. EQD earned, possibly changing to Loyalty Points earned, in the past 12 months (rolling) as far as we know today
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.

For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2022, 6:52 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Is this the best sub to pose my question or better under business Extra you think? Wondering what ya'lls "strategy" is for applying a BXP1 certificate as an Executive Platinum? I had a flight from LAX-MIA where I wasn't clearing but I did not want to "Waste" it if I was going to clear same day. I checked in online, the list went up, and I was number 4, but ExpertFlyer showed NO seats. I thought I would ask at the check in desk at the airport about applying it but she said they don't do it there, so I figured to ask at the gate or call while in security on the way to the gate. The Aadvantage desk woman tried, but said once I am physically checked in it cannot be added/the list would not modify. My theory is that I would move from 4th to 1st assuming everyone else was on the upgrade list by way of status and not certificate. No way to know for sure of course. Had I applied it before same day, I would have been #1 more likely than #4, and indeed, 1 person did clear. But had I used it earlier in the month or when booking, I would have wondered if I would have cleared ANYWAY and would be wasting it entirely. *shrug*
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but it sounds like you wanted to apply the BXP1 certificate after you checked in. Did you try calling AA Meeting Services to confirm it (you mention you called the AAdvantage desk woman)? The agent may have still been correct that this still can't happen once it's under airport control. If it were me, I would have happily burned a BXP1 without hesitation rather than sweating out the upgrade on flagship route like MIA-LAX. One side note - those 3 people ahead of you could have also been on instrument based upgrades like SWU or points+upgrade. In those cases, if they were EP and their LP count was higher than yours, you'd still have missed it.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:02 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
LAS-PHL Monday night redeye. I had already upgraded with the in-app offer weeks in advance. But I had a linked companion and requested the comp upgrade:

72 hrs before flight: J7
40 hours before flight within my Platinum window: J4.
25 hour before flight: his upgrade cleared along with 2 others. J remained at 1 until departure when someone cleared. There were 10 on the waitlist.

Since my companion cleared with 2 others, I'm thinking I probably would have gotten it too if I didn't do the advance in-app upgrade. But a LAS-PHL redeye is usually a tough one to hope for.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
PPro 110k LP

YUM-PHX I cleared T-48 companion cleared at Gate.
PHX-HNL I cleared T-72 companion cleared T-24.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Complimentary upgrades on award tickets are only for Exec Plat members, right? I'm Plat, and yet on this very much award ticket, my reservation shows a complimentary upgrade is requested, exactly how it shows on comparable paid tickets? This is for ORD > DCA on American metal, booked through AA.com. (So no, I don't need First Class on the 90 minute flight and won't be bothered if it turns out to be an IT fluke but was surprised to see that in the View Reservation page...)
Old Nov 18, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
Complimentary upgrades on award tickets are only for Exec Plat members, right? I'm Plat, and yet on this very much award ticket, my reservation shows a complimentary upgrade is requested, exactly how it shows on comparable paid tickets? This is for ORD > DCA on American metal, booked through AA.com. (So no, I don't need First Class on the 90 minute flight and won't be bothered if it turns out to be an IT fluke but was surprised to see that in the View Reservation page...)
You are correct. I’m curious as to how this will play out.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
DFW-CDG - 1/3 on WL. Cleared 20 minutes before departure after J0 for weeks on end. Gave seat to my mom.

Side note: I was unable to purchase LBFU/same day upgrade to P, even though P5 all day. Kept saying it wasn’t allowable. Is it because I split PNR for upgrade? Remaining 2 pax were Gold. I’ve never heard it wasn’t allowed on paid ticket (Fare class N).
Old Nov 19, 2022, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by WalruSara
DFW-CDG - 1/3 on WL. Cleared 20 minutes before departure after J0 for weeks on end. Gave seat to my mom.

Side note: I was unable to purchase LBFU/same day upgrade to P, even though P5 all day. Kept saying it wasn’t allowable. Is it because I split PNR for upgrade? Remaining 2 pax were Gold. I’ve never heard it wasn’t allowed on paid ticket (Fare class N).
It's a syatem limitation AFAIK, if you are waitlisted for an upgrade then the system will not offer any LFBU.
WalruSara and ryanbriar like this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by PHL
LAS-PHL Monday night redeye. I had already upgraded with the in-app offer weeks in advance. But I had a linked companion and requested the comp upgrade:

72 hrs before flight: J7
40 hours before flight within my Platinum window: J4.
25 hour before flight: his upgrade cleared along with 2 others. J remained at 1 until departure when someone cleared. There were 10 on the waitlist.

Since my companion cleared with 2 others, I'm thinking I probably would have gotten it too if I didn't do the advance in-app upgrade. But a LAS-PHL redeye is usually a tough one to hope for.
Two weeks ago I had a LAS-CLT-PHL redeye. Both flights went from J7 to J0 about 3 days out and I was upgraded on CLT-PHL but not LAS-CLT. However when I checked in I was #1 with one F seat available for purchase (I didn't have access to EF) and I and #2 on the list cleared at the gate. However, last May I was on a LAS-PHL redeye and was #1 but didn't clear.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:26 pm

The tldr is I am rolling close to a donut as an EXP out of LAX to both ATL and RDU despite usually being one or two on the list with a sample size of 16 flights over the last two months. I have been buying the upgrades when offered and my theory is AA is monetizing all of their inventory via paid upgrades to the point that complimentary upgrades are becoming increasingly rare.

More details below:

I started a separate thread on the topic of upgrade inventory being depleted by paid upgrades, but see similar sentiments / experiences itt.

I am EXP out of LAX with a relatively high amount of LPs based on where I usually am on the upgrade list. I have been doing LAX - ATL and LAX-RDU frequently and have resorted to buying the upgrade offers rather than chancing a complimentary upgrade. I still watch the upgrade list and all but one many have had no upgrades clear.

Those routes have only one nonstop flight each day, I usually fly out Monday and back Thursday, and LAX can have a high number of elites so I understand and accept that upgrades are going to be difficult.

I have purchased the upgrade offer (usually between $95 - $200 per segment) and those offers often come immediately after booking. I will often book in MCE and see if an upgrade is offered within 24 hours. If not I will often cancel and book in J.

My point is it seems like regardless of routes AA is monetizing their inventory resulting in very little upgrade availability. I used to fly LAX-LHR frequently and would very often get upgraded even as a PP. Obviously this requires miles+copay so some elites may decide not to request an upgrade, but my anecdotal experience on an admittedly small sample size post-COVID leads me to believe AA has AI / machine learning tuned so they can customize upgrade offers specific to a profile with a high degree of certainty it will be purchased.

I totally get the rationale, but upgrades are 90% of the reason I try and maintain status. I am sure Delta and United elites have their gripes and I still think AA has the best loyalty program; however, I am quickly getting to the point where I will just book the flights I want in the class of cabin I want regardless of airline.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
This week about 30 hours out I got an EF notification that 2 C spaces were available on AA's AKL-DFW. I had previously requested upgrades from paid PE for me and my spouse (SWU and miles + cash, I am PlatPro, she is Gold). After about an hour on the phone with AA we both got upgraded for the 14 hour flight.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Looks like I might have my first misses of the year on 738s to MIA-MEX and MEX-DFW. Otherwise my 175 travel has been paying dividends.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat
Plat Pro with 190k, no luck on either way CLT-LAS this weekend. Also struck out on CLT-LGA, CLT-MSY, and CLT-UVF in the last month.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DeacDiggler
Plat Pro with 190k, no luck on either way CLT-LAS this weekend. Also struck out on CLT-LGA, CLT-MSY, and CLT-UVF in the last month.
CLT is rough this year for transcontinentals. I don't expect or depend on an upgrade and then I'm happy when it happens.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Last trip as a Platinum before my recent Rocketmiles booking comes in and I become a Platinum Pro.

11/21 LAX-PHL AA981: Cleared at T-48
11/22 PHL-BOS AA1153: Cleared at T-48

17/22 (77.3%) on eligible flights (didn't buy up to F, use miles, or e-145) in 2022 as a Platinum.
thunderdeacon and SFflyer20 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Here I'll start my EXP upgrade results for 2022:

Currently 213k LP
​​​​​Home base: Columbus (CMH)
2022 AA / AS segments: 63 / 21 (84 total)
​​​98% leisure traveler: weekends (Fri-Sun), holidays, summer​​

Fri. 11/25/22 - CMH-DFW, award, upgraded T-100
Fri. 11/25/22 - DFW-SAN, award, upgraded T-100
Sat. 11/26/22 - SAN-DFW, award, upgraded T-100
Sat. 11/26/22 - DFW-CMH, award, upgraded T-100

Fri. 12/2/22 - CMH-JFK, paid N, upgraded T-96
Fri. 12/2/22 - JFK-SFO, paid N, upgraded T-100 (lie-flat J)
Sun. 12/4/22 - SFO-DFW, paid N, upgraded T-100

Sun. 12/4/22 - DFW-CMH, paid N, #2 on waitlist
Sat. 12/17/22 - CMH-CLT, award, upgraded at gate
Sat. 12/17/22 - CLT-LAX, award, upgraded T-8 (lie-flat J)
Mon. 12/19/22 - LAX-CLT, award, #7 on waitlist
Mon. 12/19/22 - CLT-CMH, award, #5 on waitlist

Total: 9 / 12 [75%]

Initial November optimism turned to Holiday disappointment in December. I'm still happy at 75% for late 2022.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Dec 19, 2022 at 7:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.