Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (Be aware of possible upgrade priority changes as of Loyalty Points becoming the qualifier for rewards)

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. EQD earned, possibly changing to Loyalty Points earned, in the past 12 months (rolling) as far as we know today
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.

For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Cleared at the 100-hour mark this morning for DFW -OGG on this coming Monday's (2/21) flight using Complimentary EXP "stickers". I had put in a request to use a systemwide, but for some reason the sticker upgrade cleared instead. Agent just had to pull the SWU request out of my record to clean it up. Shocked as all get out that this actually cleared! My ORD-DFW flight hasn't cleared - flight looks pretty full up front but this is a sub- 2 hour flight (I think I will survive in the PE seat) so no biggie. Coming home looks tough to get into J but I am in PE for the OGG-DFW flight on 2/24 so that should work.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:38 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Just booked a flight last-minute for tomorrow...AA2123 DCA-LGA.

After I booked the flight and immediately checked-in, a message popped up on my app that said something akin to "Upgrade Request Failed, See Agent". I was on a train and couldn't call in so I used the chat function on the app, got transferred around a couple of times, before being told I had to call and "make payment" for an upgrade. I corrected the agent and asked her what she meant by payment as the upgrade is complimentary, and she corrected herself and saw the upgrade request and my name on the waitlist.

Really could care less about the upgrade given the short flight. Just somewhat concerned why that message popped up and no one seemed to know why. Has anyone seen that before?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Cleared at the 100-hour mark this morning for DFW -OGG on this coming Monday's (2/21) flight using Complimentary EXP "stickers". I had put in a request to use a systemwide, but for some reason the sticker upgrade cleared instead. Agent just had to pull the SWU request out of my record to clean it up. Shocked as all get out that this actually cleared! My ORD-DFW flight hasn't cleared - flight looks pretty full up front but this is a sub- 2 hour flight (I think I will survive in the PE seat) so no biggie. Coming home looks tough to get into J but I am in PE for the OGG-DFW flight on 2/24 so that should work.
I had no idea those 500 milers can be used for upgrades. I'm going to tweet and see if I can use them today to dfw. I'm first on the list for zero seats. lol
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This morning I was 1 out of 26 for zero F seats to ORD. The flight was sold out in F when I bought the ticket 2 weeks ago. About an hour ago I cleared. Odd and happy.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
EP recent flights 12 month rolling: 13.5k

1/28 DTW-MIA a319 cleared t-75
MIA-EYW e175 cleared t-100
2/18 DTW-DFW a320 did not clear. #5/17 on the list 1-4 cleared
2/19 DFW-MIA 772 did not clear #4/17 on list nobody cleared
MIA-EYW e175 cleared at gate #1/3 on list (entire 2/18-19 flights I got on only hours before the flight due to IROPS so maybe would have changed).
2/22 EYW-MIA e175 cleared t-24
MIA-DTW a319 cleared t-100
Upcoming within window
2/25 DTW-MIA a319 has not cleared yet
MIA-EYW e175 cleared t-100
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:12 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
2/23 iah-phl

2/23 IAH-PHL A319
1 of 14 on waitlist. Nobody cleared
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I had no idea those 500 milers can be used for upgrades. I'm going to tweet and see if I can use them today to dfw. I'm first on the list for zero seats. lol
???
You get complimentary upgrades. Why would you need to use stickers??
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
???
You get complimentary upgrades. Why would you need to use stickers??
My point is do stickers have more upgrade power than just a comp upgrade. Do they have the same pull as a SWU. That's what I was going for here.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
My point is do stickers have more upgrade power than just a comp upgrade. Do they have the same pull as a SWU. That's what I was going for here.
Stickers = Comp Upgrades

GLD and PLT have to use stickers, while PLT Pro and EXP get comp upgrades. But they are the exact same thing and pull from the exact same inventory etc.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
No and no. I'm amazed that you don't know this. I thought you were trying to be funny!!
Old Feb 23, 2022, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
I'm amazed that you don't know this
Apparently so am I.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Was #1/2 on the list for 0 seats on LAX-OGG last Thursday. EXP with ~9K TTM EQD. Don't think anyone cleared in the window either since the flight was J0/all seats assigned for about a week before.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:51 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Phl-ord-phl 2/28-3/1

PHL-ORD-PHL 2/28-3/1

Both legs cleared at their respective 120 hour marks
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I am traveling PHL-RNO with a friend, we're on the outbound together and he's returning separately. I'm EXP, he has no status and asked for a miles/$ upgrade. He said he was cleared on one return segment and is waitlisted on the other 3.

I just subscribed to Expert Flyer - I guess the basic paid version - I looked at one of the outbound segments. When I searched for "Flight Availability" it showed C5, but when I went to the "Awards/Upgrades" screen it was C0.

Are there different C inventory buckets?

I've seen people report that C inventory often opens up 24 hours before the flight, but of course my EXP upgrade window is 100 hours. Now I'm working from memory and that comment about C might have pertained to international flights where complimentary/sticker upgrades don't apply. Is there any way I could get upgraded before him? The AAgent I spoke to said she thought not.

As a more general question, how do I use EF and interpret the results? I'm a little bewildered except for the general understanding that if it shows, for example, J4 I3 it means there are at least 4 availabile business class seats (for domestic, that means first class) of which 3 are available in the I (discount) fare bucket and 1 is only available for the J (full-fare) price. Same if I saw, for example, Y7 S6, except that 7 means "7 or more."
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:00 pm

I have AA SWU upgrades with expiry 7/31/2022, is it possible to apply the upgrade to August flight ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.