Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing (Be aware of possible upgrade priority changes as of Loyalty Points becoming the qualifier for rewards)

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. EQD earned, possibly changing to Loyalty Points earned, in the past 12 months (rolling) as far as we know today
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.

For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 16, 22, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Had around 110k LPs at the beginning of this trip and 123k at the end.

ONT - DFW = 9/35, no one cleared
DFW - DEN = cleared at 24h
DEN - SEA (AS) = 2/11, none cleared
SEA - FLL (AS) =10/29, 1 cleared after boarding had been completed
MIA - DFW = 15/40, 1 cleared at the gate
DFW - ONT = 3/18, 1 cleared at the gate
enviroian and ryanbriar like this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Flying to St Louis tomorrow in a sold out F cabin. For the last several days AA has had app buy ups for $97 to F and it's obviously worked as it's now full. I'm flying to Detroit Friday and the same so that cabin will be zeroed out by Thursday I assume. Just SMH AA would take $97 from a kettle rather than keep an EXP happy.
Old Sep 20, 22, 5:46 pm

newbie here - been reading trying to get some more clarity, but had a Q was hoping I could make sure I have the right understanding. I'm flying JFK -> DEL (PRO) in November with my +1 (no status). We booked PE but trying to figure out what the chances are of clearing an upgrade to business if we call AA and put in an upgrade request with miles? More than willing to shell out the 25k points each + any $ copay, but it sounds like even if we put in the request, it won't clear until 3-4 days before departure - is that right? If so, should I wait till closer to November to put the call in (I will be EP status by the time of the flight). Thanks in advance
Old Sep 20, 22, 5:50 pm

DFW-OGG

Super late to post but even as a Gold, myself and companion cleared on 9/5 from DFW-OGG >24hr. Wasn't even expecting Prem Econ, forget lie-flat J on the 787 to Hawaii. Thanks AA
jcain and donotblink like this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 6:03 pm

So I was on vacation in Bonaire and while I was there I hit 30,000 loyalty points and received gold status. This is the first time I have hit priority status with AA. I ended up actually getting automatically upgraded on my flight from MIA to RDU. Plus was able to upgrade to the bulkhead in economy plus - as a tall guy, this was a nice perk.

My question- what percentage of the time can I expect to get upgraded on gold status? I have another RDU to CLT to CUN, then CUN to RDU flight coming up in 6 weeks, so that will be a test to see how often it happens. I am planning out my CC spend to see where I want to direct points, with daycare being charged to CC- that is 15k a year which should make getting 30k loyalty points easy if I so choose.

FWIW - when I was upgraded I sat next to a flight attendant who was being shuttled home, so I assume there weren't many upgrade requests if they gave a FA a business class seat.

Also, dumb question for a newbie to status - when you say 2/11, or 9/12 - does that mean you were 2nd out of 11 people requesting upgrades? If so, where you can you find this information on the app?

thanks all!

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 20, 22 at 6:21 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Sep 20, 22, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Golds clearing Hawaii and I can’t clear St. Louis? Lol

Perhaps I once dated someone at the advantage program and it didn’t end well and I forgot.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 8:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Scotttyd View Post
So I was on vacation in Bonaire and while I was there I hit 30,000 loyalty points and received gold status. This is the first time I have hit priority status with AA. I ended up actually getting automatically upgraded on my flight from MIA to RDU. Plus was able to upgrade to the bulkhead in economy plus - as a tall guy, this was a nice perk.

My question- what percentage of the time can I expect to get upgraded on gold status? I have another RDU to CLT to CUN, then CUN to RDU flight coming up in 6 weeks, so that will be a test to see how often it happens. I am planning out my CC spend to see where I want to direct points, with daycare being charged to CC- that is 15k a year which should make getting 30k loyalty points easy if I so choose.

FWIW - when I was upgraded I sat next to a flight attendant who was being shuttled home, so I assume there weren't many upgrade requests if they gave a FA a business class seat.

Also, dumb question for a newbie to status - when you say 2/11, or 9/12 - does that mean you were 2nd out of 11 people requesting upgrades? If so, where you can you find this information on the app?

thanks all!
As a GLD I wouldn't expect much more than a 25% success rate overall, if that. Yes 2/11 would mean you were second on the list with 11 people requesting an upgrade. The information is displayed on the mobile app starting around T-12 (sometimes not until around T-4) when you pull up the flight. You can also toggle to the standby list. Remember names do not appear on the list until the passenger actually checks in.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Scotttyd View Post

thanks all!
I had about 11 segments while I was Gold status and never saw a single upgrade. 16 more segments as Platinum and had 2 upgrades (ORD-DCA, DFW-DEN). Hoping for more success as PP!
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today AA 2858 DFW-STL

#3 on list out of 38 for 0 seats.

Old Sep 21, 22, 12:21 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
9/13

OKC-PHX E175
Cleared at window
I received a cold meal on this flight, which is the first time I have been seeved a meal on this flight, even compared to a few F trips on this routing before covid.

PHX-SFO A320
#6 out of 14. 1 cleared

9/21

SFO-DFW A321
#9 out of 23. 1 cleared

DFW-OKC A321
Cleared at window

Platinum Pro with about 100K loyalty points so far.

Last edited by thunderdeacon; Sep 21, 22 at 12:34 pm
Old Sep 21, 22, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got pulled up to 2E.

Old Sep 21, 22, 7:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, ANA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
What on earth was happening that the upgrade list from DCA to ORD on a Wednesday afternoon was 40 people long and as PLAT I was way down at 16...never been that low on what seems to me such an off time...albeit I've never cleared off the list but still, I've at least died at #1 before as a Platinum on that route on a Wednesday...

(This was AA806, today 9/21. Absolutely packed.)
Old Sep 21, 22, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Just got pulled up to 2E.

Whod you pay off to jump the line Did they clear you after boarding or at the gate.
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryanbriar View Post
Whod you pay off to jump the line Did they clear you after boarding or at the gate.
They cleared me right before the door closed. I was in 8F and dozing off then my phone pinged with a 2E BP. I'm guessing three people didn't show up since this flight was zeroed out before. Then there's the awkward "excuse me" while I ask 8DE to please excuse me as I get up and walk up to F.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:17 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
These are a lot of sad stories out of DFW....

Search this Thread