FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2070952-loyalty-point-rewards-program-formerly-loyalty-choice-2021-consolidated.html)

JDiver Mar 6, 2022 12:47 pm

Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated)

The new Loyalty Choice Rewards program completely replaces the 2021 Elite choice rewards. The program has five tiers, from 125,000 (and 30 eligible flight segments to become eligible to participate in Loyalty Choice Rewards, regardless of LP earned) to 750,000 Loyalty Points earned in one qualifying year (ending March 30, 2023 for this year’s program).

See the Wikipost for details. For all terms and conditions, please follow the link below.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c00712850.jpeg

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/aadvantage-status/loyalty-choice-rewards.jsp

355F1 Mar 6, 2022 2:54 pm

Immensely curious how many Level 5s we will see…

platbrownguy Mar 6, 2022 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 34053158)
Immensely curious how many Level 5s we will see…

For an EXP earning only based on flying it would be $68k-ish of qualifying spend, i.e., CK-level spend. So, not too many of those around. I think there will be bunches of folks who put mid-6-figure business spend on their AA-branded credit cards though. Wouldn't shock me if the number of EXPs doubles because of credit card spend (particularly business spend). Someone who might only fly enough to be gold or platinum under the previous regime (which is still a heck of a lot of flying compared to the average kettle) now has an easy incentive to shift $200k+ of spending onto their AA card (and more if they value the additional SWUs).

Personally I ended up over 200,000 EQMs this past cycle because of the extended earning period so I got all the extra rewards. But now under the new system I will definitely not make it past level 2 (i.e. the bare minimum needed to keep EXP).

Stingyguy Mar 6, 2022 5:41 pm

There's no way I could make it even to Gold this year considering that I currently only have around 3,600 LPs. Currently have a Platinum and my status says, I need around 123k to make it to Plat Pro or pay $1,5400 to get Plat Pro and keep it till March 2023. Basically, all my travel are booked for the year and wouldn't even make it to Gold at the rate of my spend. I guess I'll have to focus my attention and travels on Alaska at this point. Sigh!

beltway Mar 8, 2022 5:07 pm

Am I hallucinating, or is it new that holders of any AA co-brand credit card are now exempt from miles expiration? I don’t recall seeing any mention of this when the new program rule were first announced.

vasantn Mar 8, 2022 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Stingyguy (Post 34053468)
There's no way I could make it even to Gold this year considering that I currently only have around 3,600 LPs. Currently have a Platinum and my status says, I need around 123k to make it to Plat Pro or pay $1,5400 to get Plat Pro and keep it till March 2023. Basically, all my travel are booked for the year and wouldn't even make it to Gold at the rate of my spend. I guess I'll have to focus my attention and travels on Alaska at this point. Sigh!

Read the master thread. It is trivially easy to earn GLD through shopping. PLT takes a little more effort.

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 34059452)
Am I hallucinating, or is it new that holders of any AA co-brand credit card are now exempt from miles expiration? I don’t recall seeing any mention of this when the new program rule were first announced.

It is true for primary holders.

bworrell Mar 17, 2022 10:19 pm

Are flight segments as part of an award flight considered eligible? I want to make sure I get to the required 30 segments fairly quickly but have some flights I'm debating between spending $$ or miles.

777lover Mar 17, 2022 10:53 pm

AA award travel on AA metal counts towards segments

Originally Posted by bworrell (Post 34085201)
Are flight segments as part of an award flight considered eligible? I want to make sure I get to the required 30 segments fairly quickly but have some flights I'm debating between spending $$ or miles.

VegasGambler Mar 18, 2022 2:49 am

Originally Posted by 777lover (Post 34085253)
AA award travel on AA metal counts towards segments

That's what TPG says as well but I can't find a definition of "qualifying segments" anywhere on the AA website.

IADCAflyer Mar 18, 2022 5:10 am

I can confirm that award segments count. My trip to the caribbean was 4 segments and those segments posted. My son's award trip represents his only AA flights this year and they too have posted.

bscooter26 Mar 18, 2022 8:23 am

Does this mean if you make it to EXP (200,000 LPs) you get Level 2 rewards even if you don't fly 30 segments?

VegasGambler Mar 18, 2022 10:38 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 34085651)
I can confirm that award segments count. My trip to the caribbean was 4 segments and those segments posted. My son's award trip represents his only AA flights this year and they too have posted.

I believe it; I'd just like to see a definition of what counts and what doesn't. My understanding is that it's AA metal award flights and revenue flights on AA and partners (at least, some partners... the same ones that earn LP?)

jef787 Mar 18, 2022 10:41 am

Originally Posted by bscooter26 (Post 34086092)
Does this mean if you make it to EXP (200,000 LPs) you get Level 2 rewards even if you don't fly 30 segments?

No. Choices at all levels are contingent on completing 30 qualifying segments.

IADCAflyer Mar 18, 2022 11:17 am

Originally Posted by bscooter26 (Post 34086092)

Nope. You gotta have 30 BIS segments.

bworrell Mar 19, 2022 8:03 pm

Thanks everyone for the help and confirmation. I actually picked a 2 segment award trip with an arrival 5 hours ahead of a 3 segment cash trip... my flying/life calculations have changed a bit since the pandemic.