Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Please help the community by adding information to this Wiki about the current Loyalty Point Reward program
Print Wikipost

Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Thanks to the Instant Status Pass thing, I now have AA Platinum. With this change, my usual JFK to LAX transcon will switch to AA from Delta - mainly because I can get 16,000 LP for the flight instead of 10,000 I would have gotten as a non status flyer. In contrast I get about 7,500 MQM with Delta regardless of status, and I have a ton of MQM with them.

My question is a philosophical one - shouldn’t people new to the program be able to earn status quicker, if AA is really trying to gain market share? Or am I thinking about this incorrectly?
None of the new LP scheme is about getting new customers on planes. It's all about getting people to accumulate AA miles via partners.

You're right that it's a lot harder to attain status when starting from scratch, but AA compensates for that by handing out free status like candy on Halloween.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:38 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Thanks to the Instant Status Pass thing, I now have AA Platinum. With this change, my usual JFK to LAX transcon will switch to AA from Delta - mainly because I can get 16,000 LP for the flight instead of 10,000 I would have gotten as a non status flyer. In contrast I get about 7,500 MQM with Delta regardless of status, and I have a ton of MQM with them.

My question is a philosophical one - shouldn’t people new to the program be able to earn status quicker, if AA is really trying to gain market share? Or am I thinking about this incorrectly?
You are thinking about this perfectly correct, yet completely backwards
AA wants you to get top tier status ASAP by booking hotels in Cancun through RocketMiles that yield 40,000 LPs per stay...
js1993 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:25 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by js1993
There's no doubt RDM have gotten less valuable, and they got a whole lot less valuable last week with the news that Saaver and AAnytime awards are a thing of the past.
Saaver and AAnytime awards were a thing of the past in the past, they don't exist now, pricing is all but dynamic already. While I don't hold out much hope the change to fully dynamic pricing will be a good thing, pricing for high demand tickets (i.e., an AAnytime award) is already crazy, not sure how fully dynamic pricing can make that much worse.

And LP were devalued by a good 25% last week as well with the big threshold increases.
This is a complete exaggeration in my opinion, some of the changes were positive (elimination of the 30 segment requirement, adding some new thresholds, and eliminating per ticket earning cap), and only the Gold level saw a 'big' increase in requirements, those who earn higher status maybe need to reach a little further for some additional rewards, but the threshold for status didn't change. I don't see any way one could claim it was 'a good 25%' devaluation to LP as a whole, as someone who plans on earning Platinum or Platinum Pro I saw it as positive on the whole (new threshold awards that provide the opportunity for bonus LPs and elimination of the 30 segment requirement).
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Beckles
Saaver and AAnytime awards were a thing of the past in the past, they don't exist now, pricing is all but dynamic already. While I don't hold out much hope the change to fully dynamic pricing will be a good thing, pricing for high demand tickets (i.e., an AAnytime award) is already crazy, not sure how fully dynamic pricing can make that much worse.
Oh, it can get worse. Just look at Hyatt. They added peak/off-peak and, shocker, property after property somehow has 100+ peak nights per year and only ~5 off-peak nights.

This is a complete exaggeration in my opinion, some of the changes were positive (elimination of the 30 segment requirement, adding some new thresholds, and eliminating per ticket earning cap), and only the Gold level saw a 'big' increase in requirements, those who earn higher status maybe need to reach a little further for some additional rewards, but the threshold for status didn't change. I don't see any way one could claim it was 'a good 25%' devaluation to LP as a whole, as someone who plans on earning Platinum or Platinum Pro I saw it as positive on the whole (new threshold awards that provide the opportunity for bonus LPs and elimination of the 30 segment requirement).
I can't imagine being concerned with AA status if I didn't fly 30 segments per year, and the per-ticket cap affected maybe 0.01% of AA's customers, if that. Meanwhile, a person who got 5 SWUs after 200,000 LP this year now needs 250,000 LP to get 5 SWUs, right? That, to me, is a clear 25% devaluation for actual frequent flyers, even when considering the new multiplier bonus.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:18 pm

I can't imagine being concerned with AA status if I didn't fly 30 segments per year, and the per-ticket cap affected maybe 0.01% of AA's customers, if that. Meanwhile, a person who got 5 SWUs after 200,000 LP this year now needs 250,000 LP to get 5 SWUs, right? That, to me, is a clear 25% devaluation for actual frequent flyers, even when considering the new multiplier bonus.
That math assumes the 5 SWUs are the only value one receives for 250k LP. The changes did not diminish ExPlat status by 25%, which you also earn for that same 250k, plus for those who use some of the partners there is added bonuses at 60k and 100k that did not exist before.

If I fly one R/T a month to CLT or ORD or PHX or DFW (CLT is my company's HQ, I have several clients in Chicagoland, PHX and DFW are cities I go to periodically for work or leisure), it's much more convenient to fly AA than my usual preferred airline (Delta) yet even taking a trip a month I'm only at 24 segments/year, so I do find elite status useful even though I may not get to 30 segments per year. Under the old program however it was a stretch for me to even get Gold with that much flying, whereas now by putting some credit card spend plus other partner activity (shopping, dining, Hyatt dual accrual) I can reach Platinum pretty easily and probably Platinum Pro some years, and now it's not a burden for me to opt for non-stop flights on AA instead of connecting in Detroit or Minneapolis to go MCI-ORD or such.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
That math assumes the 5 SWUs are the only value one receives for 250k LP. The changes did not diminish ExPlat status by 25%, which you also earn for that same 250k, plus for those who use some of the partners there is added bonuses at 60k and 100k that did not exist before.
The SWU are the main value, especially for the people you mentioned in your last post who aren't flying 30 segments.

If I fly one R/T a month to CLT or ORD or PHX or DFW (CLT is my company's HQ, I have several clients in Chicagoland, PHX and DFW are cities I go to periodically for work or leisure), it's much more convenient to fly AA than my usual preferred airline (Delta) yet even taking a trip a month I'm only at 24 segments/year, so I do find elite status useful even though I may not get to 30 segments per year. Under the old program however it was a stretch for me to even get Gold with that much flying, whereas now by putting some credit card spend plus other partner activity (shopping, dining, Hyatt dual accrual) I can reach Platinum pretty easily and probably Platinum Pro some years, and now it's not a burden for me to opt for non-stop flights on AA instead of connecting in Detroit or Minneapolis to go MCI-ORD or such.
I'm not arguing that the new LP system didn't benefit anyone. My point was just that the clear purpose of the program is to allow AA to pull as much revenue forward as possible, and that subsequent major devaluations are a certainty given AA's precarious finances. (That's how all "loyalty" programs work, but AA is taking it to a new level by wanting its flyers' hotel spending.)
Old Dec 20, 2022, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Next year 250k LP will get you 6 SWU's, not 5.

2 @ 175k, then 2+2 @ 250k.
apeortdz and bse118 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
The SWU are the main value, especially for the people you mentioned in your last post who aren't flying 30 segments.
For you perhaps. For others, it is not. Everyone has their own reasons for valuing the various levels of status on AA (or any airline, hotel, etc.). There's a big difference between facts and opinions. Yours is purely an opinion.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
For you perhaps. For others, it is not. Everyone has their own reasons for valuing the various levels of status on AA (or any airline, hotel, etc.). There's a big difference between facts and opinions. Yours is purely an opinion.
agreed. SWUs became so hard to use and many people reported theirs expired unused. They're useless for me; My loyalty choice rewards are the miles or the cash discounts rather than something I'll throw away. SWU's are def not "the main value", but IF YOU CAN USE ONE they are worth the highest $ value.
RaindropT likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by wutlol
Do the 25k miles count as LP?
NO
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
agreed. SWUs became so hard to use and many people reported theirs expired unused. They're useless for me; My loyalty choice rewards are the miles or the cash discounts rather than something I'll throw away. SWU's are def not "the main value", but IF YOU CAN USE ONE they are worth the highest $ value.
It's impossible to say what the "main value" of the Choices are. That's going to vary from individual to individual.

I for one find SWUs tremendously useful and wouldn't consider taking any of the other Choices when SWUs are an option. Of course I'm perfectly willing to waitlist SWUs and find that they clear <much> more often than not.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by bse118
It's impossible to say what the "main value" of the Choices are. That's going to vary from individual to individual.
Actually, the discussion was the 'main value' of 200k or 250k LP, I think ExPlat status is the main value, the Choices are secondary. Others believe that SWU's are the main value and status has less value. To each their own.
bse118 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I've also switched from SWU to miles for redemption. I have 2 SWU that expire in a couple of months and I'll probably use them for some short haul domestic because it's almost impossible to use them on intl any longer.....
LovePrunes and AB Dada like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by jhalapin
I've also switched from SWU to miles for redemption. I have 2 SWU that expire in a couple of months and I'll probably use them for some short haul domestic because it's almost impossible to use them on intl any longer.....
Yep, I did the same just now. Had some reward expire 12/30/22 next week and decided to snag the 40K award miles instead of 2 SWUs.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Yes, it's my opinion. I didn't claim to be quoting the Bible or federal law.

Who are the people getting huge value out of EXP by flying 15 domestic segments?

I can't imagine caring at all about status with that minimal amount of flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.