Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Please help the community by adding information to this Wiki about the current Loyalty Point Reward program
Print Wikipost

Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by js1993
The removal of the 30-segment minimum tells us AA only cares about maximizing CC/partner spending. AA couldn't care less about "elite" populations, because a huge percentage apparently don't fly AA much, if at all.
While I agree that this change will benefit those who earn LPs primarily from CC spend, the 30-segment minimum was also a source of major complaints from long-time elites here who have historically earned status by flying TATL and TPAC flights in premium classes -- i.e. high spend but minimal segments. (I no longer have this flying pattern but used to many years ago, so had a lot of sympathy for that complaint . )
Old Dec 15, 2022, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by matinicus rock
I care about are how redemptions using miles will be effected by their AAdvantage Award tickets going "completely dynamic." This to me says gone are the days when I could find a transatlantic Business Class Award for under 80k each way. They'll all be at least 140k now at least - almost double.
This made me feel old.
I flew Round Trip in Business to Europe for 60,000 miles
Round trip on BA001 was only 100,000
Times change but like death and taxes...FF miles devalue
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
The removal of the 30-segment minimum tells us AA only cares about maximizing CC/partner spending. AA couldn't care less about "elite" populations, because a huge percentage apparently don't fly AA much, if at all.

I don't follow. If you didn't like the 30-segment minimum, wouldn't the removal of it make it easier for you to credit elsewhere?
I'm not making the 30 segments this year, despite having hit ExPlat almost entirely by flying (180k+ LPs from flying, and that's starting with no status this year). This means ExPlat isn't all that valuable to me outside of the 11x (this year), since I don't get the SWUs (or whatever else I decide to pick, which may well not be SWUs since I fly international J OPM anyways). Realistically this means that, outside of group 1 boarding (which matters a lot for my DFW-ORD-DFW trips in Y where everyone is elite and I have a carry-on), ExPlat provided very little value for me over PlatPro; which is why I was considering risking it by going for BA status as well and seeing if I could attain both (but being content with mid tier AA and mid tier BA as being better than high tier AA). Frankly, the big thing holding me back from doing that this year was BA's 4 segment rule, otherwise my single trip to SIN last month would have single handedly gotten me to Silver (OWS), so I instead just used it to move up from PlatPro to ExPlat.

The 75k limit also plays into this, since I regularly fly tickets more expensive than $7k; I *had* been planning on either doing a mixed itinerary to get around that, or crediting 2 different programs during the course of the single ticket (e.g. AA on the way out, BA on the way back), but now I don't need to worry about that now.
ZenFlyer and Cthunder86 like this.

Last edited by Acidity; Dec 15, 2022 at 1:02 pm
Old Dec 15, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
While I agree that this change will benefit those who earn LPs primarily from CC spend, the 30-segment minimum was also a source of major complaints from long-time elites here who have historically earned status by flying TATL and TPAC flights in premium classes -- i.e. high spend but minimal segments. (I no longer have this flying pattern but used to many years ago, so had a lot of sympathy for that complaint . )
Right, but they can still earn status from a few long-haul flights. It's just the SWUs they didn't get (this year). I'm guessing AA still doesn't care about those people; they're just the lucky beneficiaries of AA wanting to incentivize more CC/partner spending by big spenders who don't hit 30 segments and are miffed about missing out on awards.

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- I do not think AA in its current form is sustainable for very long. ...
I don't, either. It's hard to imagine AA avoiding bankruptcy for too much longer. The LP scheme is a short-term money grab, but at some point, AA either has to fly a whole lot of people for free or, after enough devaluations, people will stop going out of their way to accumulate AA miles.

Now more than ever, anyone who isn't earning and burning is making a serious mistake.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 1:47 pm

I have a dumb newbie question, but please bear with me.

I earn about 15K miles / year on credit card spend, but because I "earn and burn", I rarely pay for tickets.

Will I get the 15K tier just from CC spend on my AA Citi card, or do I have to earn 15K points through ticket purchases?
Old Dec 15, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm planning on cutting back my travel next year, but still plan to maintain EXP by gift card purchases. I'm glad to see the 30 segment threshold is gone. I was starting to plan travel for next year and was thinking I'd have to turn some nonstops into connections. Glad I don't have to do that.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I have a dumb newbie question, but please bear with me.

Will I get the 15K tier just from CC spend on my AA Citi card, or do I have to earn 15K points through ticket purchases?
We're all new to this latest development! You could get the 15K tier and rewards just from CC spend if you so choose.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 2:37 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Time to start burning my AA miles... I know partner award charts should be staying intact, but its only a matter of time before they fall apart too. Also will be interesting to see what happens to awards with a domestic AA leg and an international partner leg...
Old Dec 15, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
This makes Elite level more about the benefits assoicated with Oneworld Elite - lounge, check in, baggage, etc.
Since upgrades and SWU priority are base on rolling LP balance - Elite level is less of a factor - could be based only on LP.
Not sure if eliminating the 30 segment requirement is a good idea - will put too many SWUs out there.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by cova
This makes Elite level more about the benefits assoicated with Oneworld Elite - lounge, check in, baggage, etc.
Since upgrades and SWU priority are base on rolling LP balance - Elite level is less of a factor - could be based only on LP.
Not sure if eliminating the 30 segment requirement is a good idea - will put too many SWUs out there.
Is this true? I thought low-LP EXP still trumped a high-LP Plat Pro for upgrade priority or did that change?
Old Dec 15, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Is this true? I thought low-LP EXP still trumped a high-LP Plat Pro for upgrade priority or did that change?
It's not true. Upgrades are prioritized by elite levels first, then 12 month rolling LPs within the elite tiers. Now, in general a person's LP levels are what makes their status so it's somewhat of moot argument.
ijgordon and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

What's not quite clear is if these bonuses are automatic as soon as you hit the 60k/100k, or if they're essentially a like a choice reward where you go in and select them at a time you choose.

Has to be a choice - that and getting something like Avis status for everyone - don't see that
Old Dec 15, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by redtop43
I'm planning on cutting back my travel next year, but still plan to maintain EXP by gift card purchases. I'm glad to see the 30 segment threshold is gone. I was starting to plan travel for next year and was thinking I'd have to turn some nonstops into connections. Glad I don't have to do that.
Mind sharing how you maintain ExPlat through GC purchases? So many ways to utilize GC purchases for large accumulations of Chase URs and Amex MRs, but how do you do it for ExPlat? My husband is shy of reaching ExPlat (he has the segments and very little travel through Feb 28) so am trying to get him there via other means.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Exactly. It was an easily predictable devaluation. The new LP system was a short-term money grab by AA and now AA is yanking the rug by making the miles worth less. AA execs must be kicking themselves that they didn't launch it in 2020.
As posted in another thread here, AA is just following the drug dealer business model. Except unlike your friendly neighborhood drug dealer, what AA is giving away doesn't give you that great of a short-term buzz.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
It's not true. Upgrades are prioritized by elite levels first, then 12 month rolling LPs within the elite tiers. Now, in general a person's LP levels are what makes their status so it's somewhat of moot argument.
Correct - that is what I meant - I tried to make a simple post - assuming all knew that. It is possible that a person could be a PlatPro with higher LP rolling than a EXP that earned it the year before but did not fly much the next year (nor spend).

Also corporate COMP'ed CK and EXPs would trump a PlatPro even though they don't spend or fly much.

Would be interesting to know what qualifies for CK - as ticket purchases or big CC spend just get merged together. Unless AA bases it on Flight spend only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.