Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

First class no longer on AA100 3/5/22 (resolved)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi there.

I’m booked in first class on AA100 JFK/LHR and I have seat assignment at the gate on my boarding pass. It looks like no first class on the flight any longer and business completely full. What is likely to happen? Will they transfer me to a BA service?

thanks for all you help!
Old Mar 5, 2022, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by perinouk
Hi there.

I’m booked in first class on AA100 JFK/LHR and I have seat assignment at the gate on my boarding pass. It looks like no first class on the flight any longer and business completely full. What is likely to happen? Will they transfer me to a BA service?

thanks for all you help!
What is the reason? Aircraft change?

They will probably not rebook you on BA in F. You will most likely be offered a new itinerary in F, or a downgrade. You should probably get on the phone now rather than wait until you are at the gate.
IAHtraveler, enviroian and fdog like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Could also depend on how you are booked in F. Did you buy F, use miles, or upgrade from J. Just looked at Expertflyer for flight, you are right no, F. AA106, leaving a bit later, has one F seat left. I could call now to figure our your options.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 8:58 pm

I ditto others, call tonight and try to straighten it out, you can ask about ba but my experience hasn’t been great there, if the later flight works they will move you, otherwise aa is hoping for a now show and you will be given a business class seat.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:58 am

I wish someone could explain this revenue sharing thing to me.
What difference does it make if it is sold on true AA or BA or codeshare AA or BA?
Don't they share and share alike on the revenue?
Same thing with JL/AY/IB?
I think it is the same with UA/LH/SN/LX and a couple of others.
If so, it just seems plain punitive to me that BA and AA operating or marketing are not completely interchangeable.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chuck1
What difference does it make if it is sold on true AA or BA or codeshare AA or BA?
If so, it just seems plain punitive to me that BA and AA operating or marketing are not completely interchangeable.
If I were the OP, I'd definitely just grab the later BA or AA F... if the AA F is still available, the agent will likely put you on that flight. If that flight becomes F0 in the meantime, and BA is still F1, they should re-accommodate you in F on the BA flight. If you can make a case for needing the particular time of the BA over the AA flight, you might be able to get BA even if both the later AA and BA flights are still F1.

Even as a CK, where I'm supposed to get a proactive re-accommodation (usually a phone call from a live agent or, at worst, new protected flights showing up in my app), it doesn't always happen perfectly, and I am always still as proactive as possible myself. If you're flying on premium paid tickets, have an EF subscription, and know how to get re-accommodated properly when things go wrong.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I would have been on the horn or PM’ing @aa.com within seconds if my BP said this.
mnhusker, fdog and Cthunder86 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so far.

Speaking to American now.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:48 am

Resolution?
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:43 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Resolution?
probably still hearing the music but no voice
brodielayne likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Resolved

First, thank you for all your help with this!

Second, it’s now resolved after a lot of conversation with an agent in the lounge at LAX. Then a supervisor resolved it. Seems the equipment change confused the check-in agent in Hawaii and she butchered the booking. I’m now flying back on BA in First. I’ll arrive later but it’s the best outcome.

Thank you again all for the speedy help!
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:13 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by chuck1
If you are flying on a paid ticket, AA can rebook you on JV airlines quite easily (read the schedule change rebooking document; they let travel agents do it with limited oversight). So in that way, they are quite revenue neutral.

The issue is that when folks on FT say things like “I’m flying AA F from JFK-LHR” they are very often flying on award or upgraded tickets. In those cases, AA cannot force partner airlines to open award space (though there is a liaison desk that agents may or may not call). Day-of-departure they also may rebook you on partners in a revenue fare.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by VFR
If you are flying on a paid ticket, AA can rebook you on JV airlines quite easily (read the schedule change rebooking document; they let travel agents do it with limited oversight). So in that way, they are quite revenue neutral.

The issue is that when folks on FT say things like “I’m flying AA F from JFK-LHR” they are very often flying on award or upgraded tickets. In those cases, AA cannot force partner airlines to open award space (though there is a liaison desk that agents may or may not call). Day-of-departure they also may rebook you on partners in a revenue fare.
In the case of day of departure changes, IRROPS, equipment swaps, etc., they often can just reaccommodate you on a JV partner, regardless of whether it is paid F, an upgrade, etc. They shouldn't need to open award space in those situations, and can just cleanly transfer you over.

I've had SWUs into F on AA LHR-JFK, and when AA removed the flight from the schedule a month in advance, they just transferred me to BA. That's probably a bit lucky, but day-of-departure they have a lot more options, and usually no need to request award space.
logicalrealist likes this.

Last edited by DMPHL; Mar 6, 2022 at 2:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.