LP tip for amex plat holders

Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
LP tip for amex plat holders

I always have a difficult time trying to get value out of the $200fee credit.

But this time around you can buy 5 500mile upgrades (still) and max the credit out. The yield is a really crappy 1250LP(at an unspecified time whenever the conversion happens).. but it's free!

I recommend doing this today since they're going to cut off the purchase site soon, likely today.

P.s. the website is https://www.aa.com/AAdvantage/purchaseUpgradesReceiptSubmit.do
vasantn likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no2chem
I always have a difficult time trying to get value out of the $200fee credit.

But this time around you can buy 5 500mile upgrades (still) and max the credit out. The yield is a really crappy 1250LP(at an unspecified time whenever the conversion happens).. but it's free!

I recommend doing this today since they're going to cut off the purchase site soon, likely today.
If you buy cheap enough flights on AA they will get refunded as incidentals. I have no idea why this happens (Amex not only knows that it's a flight, but they know your itinerary and will send you emails trying to get you to book hotels at your destination) but it does happen. I would never call and ask for the reimbursement since it's not something that's allowed by the rules, but I certainly won't call to complain when/if they reimburse it.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
IMO, this is a terrible idea - the conversion rate is absolutely terrible. No sense wasting $200 in travel credits for 1250 LPs (not even redeemable miles). If you've got any AA status, better buying very cheap flights with the credit and earning more LPs while actually getting some travel benefit. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
aamilesslave likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:04 am

It's definitely not a good redemption, but for Amex Plat holders who want to use the $200 credit and only fly AA... and already have club access... there's not a lot of other places to use the credit.
miadukes, ceebee100 and bethyy like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:13 am

I have run the whole gamut - AA gift cards when that worked, the 500 mile upgrades for the last couple years (used them mainly for companions) and had just purchased 4 for this year's credit. I occasionally get a "nicer" glass of wine from the Admiral's Club and the AmEx credit covers that. Not sure about next year!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I use the $200 for AA wifi, now that AA itself does the billing for wifi (instead of Gogo or Viasat).
hp12c likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you buy cheap enough flights on AA they will get refunded as incidentals. I have no idea why this happens (Amex not only knows that it's a flight, but they know your itinerary and will send you emails trying to get you to book hotels at your destination) but it does happen. I would never call and ask for the reimbursement since it's not something that's allowed by the rules, but I certainly won't call to complain when/if they reimburse it.
Do I need to buy the flights through the AMEX travel portal or can it be done through AA's website for it to get refunded as incidentals?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
Do I need to buy the flights through the AMEX travel portal or can it be done through AA's website for it to get refunded as incidentals?
Definitely AA.com. It's a requirement that the charge be from the airline (and that requirement actually seems to be enforced).

I never buy anything through the amex travel portal unless there is a discount involved. Buying from an OTA just introduces another level of complications if things go wrong. Although, side note: I was pricing out a PHX-CUN flight in main cabin and I got an IAP discounted fare that was about 5% cheaper than the same flights in main cabin on AA.com. I thought IAP was supposed to be premium cabin only? I booked on AA anyway because basic economy was much cheaper, but it was worth noticing and keeping in mind for sure (I don't frequent the Amex forum any more so maybe this is old news -- maybe I should take a look there)
FlyingFromNY likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: Frontier 100k; AA ExPlat; LATAM Black; *A Gold ; SkyTeam Elite+
Agree on the terrible redemption rate. If you care enough about LPs, you probably can put in the effort to earn more than 1250 LPs without losing $200. Heck, you can probably 'make a profit' and get way more than 1250 LPs
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Definitely AA.com. It's a requirement that the charge be from the airline (and that requirement actually seems to be enforced).
I've had exchange fees made through my CTA be refunded. However, those transactions are identified as "AA" on my AX statement but with the location being that of the CTA, not AA's offices. AX considers them fees charged by AA and refunds them (up to the $200).
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:15 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I use the $200 for AA wifi, now that AA itself does the billing for wifi (instead of Gogo or Viasat).
Yes, this has been an excellent change. Now the $200 pays for four months of unlimited AA wifi. Not a bad deal.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'd rather use it for the mileage multiplier than e500 certs, but I will probably use it for wifi.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I fly mostly AA, but I have DL selected as my AmEx airline. I've used it for DL SkyClub guest access when I'm entering with my AmEx PLT, which is something like $39 a pop, IIRC. I've also used it for same day change fees ($75 each).

I think I'd have a tough time getting $200 of value with AA. If you have higher level elite status, there really aren't many incidental fees with AA. I already have wifi included with Airpass. Using it for premium drinks/food in the Admirals club seems like a good idea, assuming those charges always post as incidental fees.

The loyalty point idea isn't terrible if you definitely won't use the credit otherwise, but the yield is still quite low.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
When did this change? Is it on all aircraft?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
When did this change? Is it on all aircraft?
Over a year ago when AA switched to a common interface. Yes, it works on all aircraft for me.
hawkfan7314 and seawolf like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.