Wiki Posts
Search

Ouch, that deval though!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Ouch, that deval though!

Ouch. I seemed to have missed this, but I guess things flipped recently to (vastly) varying award levels. It used to be that HI->EU C/J awards were 80-90k. Now almost always > 300k, unless they put me on a BA TATL with a few grand in taxes. Painful.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
It's not just Hawaii to EU. ORD seeing the same for many dates I looked at. Going to ATH in May and J award rates have been north of 250k the whole time. We were pretty flexible too about dates and even flying into other cities. We were lucky and were able to get saver levels both ways on UA/AC. But right now with AAs inability to run a full EU summer schedule coupled with their seemingly ever changing schedule changes that have tended to condense flight, I think these high, Delta-like J awards are here to stay for awhile.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Ouch. I seemed to have missed this, but I guess things flipped recently to (vastly) varying award levels. It used to be that HI->EU C/J awards were 80-90k. Now almost always > 300k, unless they put me on a BA TATL with a few grand in taxes. Painful.
Not taxes. Those are BA's fuel surcharges on award tickets. Carrier-imposed, not government-imposed.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
With dynamic pricing, I have a feeling that we are going to see some of the highest award redemption rates in history if the world completely opens back up for travel. There is so much pent-up demand. Supply and demand will take over, and there are going to be some horrendously expensive mileage redemptions this summer.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
With dynamic pricing, I have a feeling that we are going to see some of the highest award redemption rates in history if the world completely opens back up for travel. There is so much pent-up demand. Supply and demand will take over, and there are going to be some horrendously expensive mileage redemptions this summer.
We booked round trip in F (Flagship on the JFK-LHR) in late July from RDU-JFK-LHR and back LHR-JFK-RDU for 165k miles each. Jumped on it the second England relaxed its restrictions because we figured the demand is going to push these north of 400k
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Poster

I was hoping to use my AA awards at some point to fly QF, but I guess no more since they don't appear - at all - in any searches.. Strange.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by chicago747
It's not just Hawaii to EU. ORD seeing the same for many dates I looked at. Going to ATH in May and J award rates have been north of 250k the whole time. We were pretty flexible too about dates and even flying into other cities. We were lucky and were able to get saver levels both ways on UA/AC. But right now with AAs inability to run a full EU summer schedule coupled with their seemingly ever changing schedule changes that have tended to condense flight, I think these high, Delta-like J awards are here to stay for awhile.
As I have mentioned in another post recently, look into miles and copay. Book economy tickets on flights that have C space availability and upgrade with much fewer miles (and potential copay depending on ticket/cabin type) to J. You will need to search EF by individual leg to see true C availability. then book those flights and call in to upgrade.

Here is link to AA miles and copay upgrade info: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp

Good luck!
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
As I have mentioned in another post recently, look into miles and copay. Book economy tickets on flights that have C space availability and upgrade with much fewer miles (and potential copay depending on ticket/cabin type) to J. You will need to search EF by individual leg to see true C availability. then book those flights and call in to upgrade.

Here is link to AA miles and copay upgrade info: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp

Good luck!
Convincing me this is a good idea is the easy part. Finding confirmable C space is the hard part. I would be 100% open to booking coach and then upgrade with miles and copay. Most years recently though I've been able to get saver J levels with Star Alliance or AF before any C space ever opened up (if any ever did).
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by chicago747
Convincing me this is a good idea is the easy part. Finding confirmable C space is the hard part. I would be 100% open to booking coach and then upgrade with miles and copay. Most years recently though I've been able to get saver J levels with Star Alliance or AF before any C space ever opened up (if any ever did).
Expert Flyer, is helpful. ORD/JFK to LHR and return, is relatively easy to find C space, especially around the winter holidays. AMS to PHL (to ORD), while more difficult to find, helps you avoid the hefty UK departure fees. I did not check CDG to JFK

Playing around the other day, RT economy prices for ORD-LHR then AMS to PHL (to ORD) on dates that had C space availability was $530 all-in. A flight from LHR to AMS was $58USD or Eurostar for more.

I went to London just after Christmas 2019 for 8 days and the weather was spectacular for London in January. High 40's/low 50's, a few sunny days very little rain. And 4 SWU's cleared immediately!

YMMV!
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
AAdvantage redemption rates on partners are fixed. If you can find award space for HNL-HND and HND-LHR/CDG on JL, it will cost you 127.5K miles for the two awards in Business -- no carrier surcharges. But until the situation in Ukraine is resolved, you could be looking at a longer than usual flight from Tokyo to Europe.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
AAdvantage redemption rates on partners are fixed. If you can find award space for HNL-HND and HND-LHR/CDG on JL, it will cost you 127.5K miles for the two awards in Business -- no carrier surcharges. But until the situation in Ukraine is resolved, you could be looking at a longer than usual flight from Tokyo to Europe.
Ah good thinking.. so as in a multi-city award or separate tix?
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Ah good thinking.. so as in a multi-city award or separate tix?
They will be separate tickets, but it's important to get both tickets on the same PNR. If you can find the necessary award seats, try the multi-city award-booking engine; if that does not work, put each award on a complimentary five-day hold, and then call AA to make sure that both tickets are put on the same PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.