Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I hate this new mileage account activity interface

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum

This is objectively worse than a table like they had before. It's stupid.
mikew99, SK, ikwia and 11 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unifying mobile and desktop interfaces is the modern way of doing things. And that usually means putting the mobile interface on everything, because desktop is dying a slow and painful death.

Personally I like it. But then again I access it from my phone (there was never a table on mobile, just a worse version of what's there now). I have a laptop (well, a Chromebook) somewhere, but it's been months since I opened it.
BearX220, BWISkyGuy and AAL1 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Unifying mobile and desktop interfaces is the modern way of doing things. And that usually means putting the mobile interface on everything, because desktop is dying a slow and painful death.
Welcome to The Dumbing of America(n).
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: Exec Plat; 2.7 m miles
Anyone know how the Promotion Bonus is calculated or what it relates to?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnVernon
Anyone know how the Promotion Bonus is calculated or what it relates to?
It's all the LP you earned in Jan and Feb. Since the qualification year is March - Feb, the events before that don't have an LP section. The double-dipping for those 2 months is the promotion
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Unifying mobile and desktop interfaces is the modern way of doing things.
That's a poor justification for anything.

desktop is dying a slow and painful death.
I find this really hard to believe, and it's not like you can't show a table on a tablet anyway. People are always going to need to look at data, and forcing them to look at one tiny piece at a time is crap.
mikew99, BearX220, SK and 10 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:44 pm

Wait is it like that on desktop too? I haven’t logged in yet today. If so that’s really awful since copy-pasting from the website to a text document is the only way I keep AA honest about my earnings long-term. It’s not like they send you paper statements anymore.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uiucengineer
That's a poor justification for anything.

I find this really hard to believe, and it's not like you can't show a table on a tablet anyway. People are always going to need to look at data, and forcing them to look at one tiny piece at a time is crap.
Tablet is not really mobile.

The point is most browsing is done with phones, and it's not remotely close. So the most important thing, by far, is to have a good app and a good mobile interface (they are often the same interface since many apps are just window dressing around a headless browser). Desktop and tablet experiences are considered less important; rather than create (and maintain) a 2nd interface for these, most companies would prefer to present a uniform look and feel throughout all the platforms. So that means that the mobile interface goes on desktop, even if it's not a great fit.

Back in the old days when desktop was king it was all about a good desktop interface, and the mobile interface was an afterthought. Those days are long gone. Any company still doing that is about a decade behind the times (which is basically forever in tech). Now mobile is king and desktop is an afterthought.

You can like it or not but I've worked in tech for a long time and from what I've seen, that's how product managers think. If you tell a PM that their interface is clunky on desktop, they will say, who cares, 80% of my traffic comes from mobile and app. And they are certainly not going to spend the manpower developing and maintaining a separate interface for that 20%.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Tablet is not really mobile.

The point is most browsing is done with phones, and it's not remotely close. So the most important thing, by far, is to have a good app and a good mobile interface (they are often the same interface since many apps are just window dressing around a headless browser). Desktop and tablet experiences are considered less important; rather than create (and maintain) a 2nd interface for these, most companies would prefer to present a uniform look and feel throughout all the platforms. So that means that the mobile interface goes on desktop, even if it's not a great fit.

Back in the old days when desktop was king it was all about a good desktop interface, and the mobile interface was an afterthought. Those days are long gone. Any company still doing that is about a decade behind the times (which is basically forever in tech). Now mobile is king and desktop is an afterthought.

You can like it or not but I've worked in tech for a long time and from what I've seen, that's how product managers think. If you tell a PM that their interface is clunky on desktop, they will say, who cares, 80% of my traffic comes from mobile and app. And they are certainly not going to spend the manpower developing and maintaining a separate interface for that 20%.
I mean, I understand all that, I think it's stupid and shallow. Plenty of products have a decent experience on multiple platforms.

Originally Posted by _kurt
Wait is it like that on desktop too? I haven’t logged in yet today. If so that’s really awful since copy-pasting from the website to a text document is the only way I keep AA honest about my earnings long-term. It’s not like they send you paper statements anymore.
Yes, this is a screenshot of the desktop web page. You have to click on each one separately to see the breakdown.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
UX architects are struggling mightily with formatting complex data presentations / processes for a mobile-first world. I suspect the phone paradigm itself will morph into something else before they get good at it.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
UX architects are struggling mightily with formatting complex data presentations / processes for a mobile-first world. I suspect the phone paradigm itself will morph into something else before they get good at it.
Strongly agree. We will not all be carrying phones forever
amejr999 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
I'm no programmer but I own two fairly big apps and it’s a nightmare of going mobile first. All of our desktop experiences are broken now, and I spend a crazy amount of money on UX designers.

it’s not their fault. The new generation wants nothing to do with big screens. I see the audience metrics monthly and thr desktop is literally dead when you mix in revenue of users.

us old folks like me generate a lot of desktop traffic and almost no profit on my applications.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I don't disagree with you, but everything is becoming designed for mobile even though it does not always work for desktop. Really companies should design UX for both, but they are cheap so us PC first users are going to be stuck with mobile user interfaces. What also drives me nuts are when companies give you additional benefits for booking via mobile. Expedia does this where they give you bonus points for using the app. I hate looking for hotels via app, I generally need 4-5 tabs minimum for a solid hotel search.
sushanna1 and MarkOK like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by kbooks66
I don't disagree with you, but everything is becoming designed for mobile even though it does not always work for desktop. Really companies should design UX for both, but they are cheap so us PC first users are going to be stuck with mobile user interfaces. What also drives me nuts are when companies give you additional benefits for booking via mobile. Expedia does this where they give you bonus points for using the app. I hate looking for hotels via app, I generally need 4-5 tabs minimum for a solid hotel search.
Which is why they want you to book via the App. They don't want you price comparison shopping!

How much is all of this "companies adapting to users", vs "users having to adapt to companies"? I think that the big push for apps has a lot to do with wanting to change consumer behavior to streamline impulsive 1-push purchasing decisions. And, for a lot of people, it works. Why invest in websites, when you want to push your consumers into using that app anyways!

The only app-related thing I have come to appreciate is mobile check deposits (scanning checks with a printer was annoying). Everything else I have an App for, I'd rather do on the PC.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Desktop is not going anywhere.
Looking at spreadhseets, drawings, documents (those things that you have to read), etc. is simply easier to look at on a traditional computer and that's why I have two 23" screens side by side at work and millions people around the world do too.
Of course, I could do everything with a phone but it is extremely unproductive, tiresome to my eyes, etc.

The tile design is stupid, takes a lot of space, and I guess it is good for those that love to exercise their thumb as opposed to just be able to look at everything at once.
DL, UA and WN have better interfaces.
DL does a very good job with their app as well.

Not because it has to be phone/tablet oriented means it has to be dumb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.