FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Aadvantage Miles Don't Expire for Credit Card Holderss (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2070404-aadvantage-miles-dont-expire-credit-card-holderss.html)

dickinson Mar 1, 2022 5:33 am

Aadvantage Miles Don't Expire for Credit Card Holderss

I saw this on the site this morning, and hadn't heard of this change before. The credit card needs to be one of the AA cards - Citi or Barclay.
Here is the language from the AA site: Primary AAdvantageŽ credit cardholder - no miles expiration with open card account

vasantn Mar 1, 2022 5:41 am

Originally Posted by dickinson (Post 34034818)
I saw this on the site this morning, and hadn't heard of this change before. The credit card needs to be one of the AA cards - Citi or Barclay.

Yep, already noted in the master thread.

355F1 Mar 1, 2022 8:31 am

Looks like AA is seriously trying to become a credit card company that owns some planes!

FlyingEgghead Mar 1, 2022 10:59 am

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 34034830)
Yep, already noted in the master thread.

Which thread?

VegasGambler Mar 1, 2022 11:07 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 34035261)
Looks like AA is seriously trying to become a credit card company that owns some planes!

This change is basically irrelevant; any mileage activity extends miles so unless you have the CC and pay the annual fee without making a single purchase (why would anyone do that?) your miles would not have expired anyway.

vasantn Mar 1, 2022 11:20 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead (Post 34035727)
Which thread?

There's a very long thread on Loyalty Points that's hardly ever been off the first page since it was started in October.

FlyingEgghead Mar 1, 2022 11:27 am

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 34035813)
There's a very long thread on Loyalty Points that's hardly ever been off the first page since it was started in October.

Yes, but I don't see the RDM expiration change discussed at all there. The notice happened to be captured in one of the screenshot images posted, but was not remarked on by anyone that I could see. Could you link to the specific post you had in mind? In any case, LPs are very different from RDMs (even if they are typically earned in the same amounts), and expiration of RDMs is not really on topic for a thread about LPs.

vasantn Mar 1, 2022 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead (Post 34035840)
Yes, but I don't see the RDM expiration change discussed at all there. The notice happened to be captured in one of the screenshot images posted, but was not remarked on by anyone that I could see. Could you link to the specific post you had in mind? In any case, LPs are very different from RDMs (even if they are typically earned in the same amounts), and expiration of RDMs is not really on topic for a thread about LPs.

I guess I was remembering the screenshot that you mention. There was no extended discussion.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34034718-post2301.html

dw Mar 1, 2022 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 34035756)
This change is basically irrelevant; any mileage activity extends miles so unless you have the CC and pay the annual fee without making a single purchase (why would anyone do that?) your miles would not have expired anyway.

There are no AF AA cards (like the US issued MileUp card) but yes, it would be odd for someone to have a cobrand card and not put any spend on it- and even if so, it’s likely the issuer would end up closing it for inactivity

skunker Mar 1, 2022 8:20 pm

Here's the T&Cs

Effective March 1, 2022, AAdvantageŽ members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 24 months, or be the primary holder of an open AAdvantageŽ credit card account associated to their AAdvantageŽ account, in order to retain their miles. The primary AAdvantageŽ credit cardmember should refer to their AAdvantageŽ card agreement to understand their obligations to keep the account open, and understand the conditions under which their AAdvantageŽ credit card issuing bank may close the account, including inactivity. Unless otherwise stated, if your account has no qualifying activity in any 24-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Primary AAdvantageŽ credit cardmembers will not be subject to the 24-month qualifying activity period. However, upon closure of the AAdvantageŽ credit card account, AAdvantageŽ members will be subject to the 24-month activity requirement and must have mileage earning or redeeming activity within 4 months of closure or within 24 months of the last qualifying activity date, whichever is later, in order to retain their miles and their expiration date will be determined by the later date of the two. For new AAdvantageŽ credit cardmembers it will take up to 24 hours after the bank’s approval until their accounts reflect that no expiration date applies to their miles. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 24 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantageŽ award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American EagleŽ or AAdvantageŽ airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantageŽ mileage credit. The 24-month activity requirement will not apply to AAdvantageŽ members under age 21. Once a member turns 21 years of age, their account must have mileage earning or redeeming activity within 24 months of their 21st birthday in order to retain their miles. If your account does not include a birth date in the member profile, the account will be subject to the 24-month activity rule.
Was looking for this because I just got an email saying my son's miles will expire in a month. He's 9. AA can't even follow their own rules.
Turns out they didn't have his age in his profile. Not sure how that's possible.

ashill Mar 2, 2022 10:39 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 34035756)

I actually come pretty close to doing that with Alaska: the companion fare alone is easily worth the $75 annual fee (and without status, the bag fee waiver can pay for itself in one family trip for those who check bags), but we don't use the card for many purchases. Of course, even if you don't earn a mile from credit card spend, you would earn a mile from the companion fare flight and/or any flights on which you take advantage of the bag fee waiver, so the miles wouldn't expire anyway.

But if you're not flying AA at all or using the credit card at all, I'd imagine AA/Citi/Barclays are perfectly happy for you to pay an annual fee and get no benefit except not having miles expire. Doesn't cost them anything, and subsidizes the card for those who take more advantage of the benefits!