Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrades to clear 40 minutes prior to flight depart North America airports (3/22),

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades to clear 40 minutes prior to flight depart North America airports (3/22),

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yesterday, I was upgraded on a AUS-DFW flight after I had already boarded. Was pleasantly surprised when I received an App notification that my wallet had a seat change. By the time the gate agent came on board to tell me, I had already moved.
Spiff and js1993 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage
IME if there's an open seat it's up to the GA on when they will clear it. If I'm number one on the list I usually go up to the podium around T-50 and ask. 90% of the time I walk away with a BP. On occasion I'm told to wait (usually to around T-40 to even T-30-after I've usually boarded). No show/misconnect is different. In that case usually after I've boarded and on occasion when I'm boarding the GA tells me to hold off boarding for a few minutes. Sounds like possibly the first scenario will require the GA now to wait until T-40.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
My biggest concern with this automation is what if you're traveling as a pair and there is only one seat left?

The current system would skip the pair and go to the next person on the list. Safe to assume it would automatically skip the pair in this case as well?

Have had multiple occasions where my wife and I were traveling together and one of us got the last upgrade. We are happy to split up in that case.
Originally Posted by EXP100
IME if there's an open seat it's up to the GA on when they will clear it. If I'm number one on the list I usually go up to the podium around T-50 and ask. 90% of the time I walk away with a BP. On occasion I'm told to wait (usually to around T-40 to even T-30-after I've usually boarded). No show/misconnect is different. In that case usually after I've boarded and on occasion when I'm boarding the GA tells me to hold off boarding for a few minutes. Sounds like possibly the first scenario will require the GA now to wait until T-40.
Both good points. I wonder if the GAs will have any ability to manually upgrade prior to T-40.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Stripe
Both good points. I wonder if the GAs will have any ability to manually upgrade prior to T-40.
Today at IAH the a/c was upgauged from a 319 to a 320 and hence 4 more F seats. I was number one on the list (out of 38). Even with 4 seats open the GA had to wait until T-40.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Today at IAH the a/c was upgauged from a 319 to a 320 and hence 4 more F seats. I was number one on the list (out of 38). Even with 4 seats open the GA had to wait until T-40.
Have to believe this gets fixed, at least for cases when boarding begins before T-40.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Is everyone assuming this statement means ALL upgrades will wait until T-40 minutes? I may have on my rose colored glasses, but I think it means only the upgrades that are not processed at the upgrade windows, and make it to the airport list. It would be a HUGE downgrade to not get upgraded early....because as it is now I sometimes have a couple of seats to choose from (on the rare occasions I am upgraded at T-100 hours).
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Is everyone assuming this statement means ALL upgrades will wait until T-40 minutes?
No.
LovePrunes and Uzzar like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:34 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Right, that's the OLD way of doing things.
My concern is that now the GA will say "sorry, the computer does it, I can't help you."

I guess you could split the PNR, but that comes with other issues as well.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Personally, when it comes to upgrades, I support any automation that reduces the discretion of agents outside of IRROPS. Back in the day, NW added system controls (this was like 20 years ago on NW) that prevented agents from processing upgrades, thereby eliminating their ability to process upgrades out of order. Whenever I didn't get upgraded on NW, I never felt cheated. Whenever I didn't get upgraded on US, I always felt like maybe I should have called or pestered an agent. I much preferred the NW method.
Daze and VegasGambler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.