Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades in NA for Platinum and Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm

Expanding complimentary upgrades

AAdvantage Gold® and AAdvantage Platinum® members now have more opportunities to upgrade from Main / Premium Economy to the next class of service. Starting with flights on March 2, 2022, we’re expanding complimentary upgrades to all purchased, published fares on American within North America.*

All complimentary upgrades for existing reservations will be available by March 2.

Some reminders:
  • We’ll automatically request the upgrade if everyone in your booking is eligible for a complimentary upgrade – no action needed from you.
  • Your upgrade may be cleared as early as 24 hours before departure for AAdvantage Gold® and 48 hours for AAdvantage Platinum® members.
  • Upgrades within North America remain complimentary for AAdvantage Executive Platinum® and AAdvantage Platinum Pro® members.

The future of companion and 500-mile upgrades

Later in 2022, all AAdvantage® status members will be able to enjoy a complimentary upgrade for 1 companion traveling on the same flight within North America. When that happens, we’ll convert all available 500-mile upgrades to 250 Loyalty Points each. This addition of Loyalty Points helps you reach AAdvantage® status faster.

Simplifying your upgrade experience

You'll continue to be added to the airport upgrade list if your upgrade request hasn’t cleared before check-in. We’re beginning to roll out an enhanced upgrade experience in 2022 for status members at the airport: Upgrades will automatically clear 40 minutes before your flight departure if seats are available. This will apply to all airports within North America. Once your upgrade clears, you’ll be notified on the app or on the gate monitor.

With automatic clearance, you'll have a more consistent experience and should know the status of your upgrade request sooner.

Be sure you’ve checked in early so you’re on the upgrade list. If you aren’t on the list before the automatic clearance, you’ll be prioritized after the airport upgrade list has cleared.

*You can use 500-mile upgrades to pay for travel companions who do not hold AAdvantage® status.
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades in NA for Platinum and Gold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by logicalrealist
Interesting. I tried this by just writing AAdvantage Customer Servicem and indicating I would accept a travel voucher if a full refund was not possible. Their reply was:

I may try your approach. Given how recently I had purchased some of these upgrades, it's hard to feel like AA is delivering on what I bought -- or doing much to develop goodwill.
I submitted a refund request for one which was purchased for my wife on Feb 17, to be used on a March flight DFW-FLL, it possible. The refund was processed
I am wondering now if AMEX will reverse their reimbursement as it was part of my $250 airline benefit for my Hilton Aspire AMEX. I am still confused they didn't charge me the $450 annual fee for the first year
Also confused that non of my mileage multipliers actually worked. The fees would be pending on my card, then they would drop......... and no mileage bonus was ever received
logicalrealist likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by IntFF
For me too the loyalty points are useless.
In the old days it was possible to convert 500miles stickers to miles (I think it used to be 10K miles for 4 stickers).
Is it still possible TODAY to convert these stickers to miles? how?
Loyalty Points are useful, as the help determine you position in lines for upgrades
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I'm lowly Gold from the Hyatt Globalist promotion last year, but I just wanted to say that this policy has majorly impacted my flying experience. Despite not living at an AA hub, I find myself flying them more often than not, and I have really been loving the first class upgrades. Even on domestic narrow-body planes, the extra space is nice, and it does make the flying experience feel like less of a slog. I'm glad that American decided to fill these seats with willing Elites. I'll likely continue to prioritize booking with them (as I also want to continue to keep Gold).
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:33 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Data point with my refund experience:
  • Submitted refund request/sent email to AAdvantage CS requesting a refund of the 5 certificates I purchased in January 2022 on March 1
  • Received a refund for one of the certificates on March 2 ($40)
  • AA CS got back to me via email on 3/30 saying they were not refundable and I would be getting loyalty points for each of my upgrades. I pushed back on the refund (and explained how I got a credit for one of them) and the agent agreed to submit a manual refund exception.
  • An Executive Liaison called me yesterday to review the situation with me. I essentially said that if you were able to refund one, you should be able to refund all. He said he wasn't sure how that refund got approved, and it was probably a system error. He said he couldn't refund me, but he said he wanted to "make things right with me". I was expecting a voucher, but the agent offered me a whopping 5,000 miles each for all the certificates I had purchased (not those that I was awarded by flying EQMs), including for the one that was erroneously refunded.
I walked away with 55,000 miles...way more than the retail value of the certificates. Very satisfied with the outcome IMO.
njvandy, Majuki, ceebee100 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by CLT; Apr 13, 2022 at 7:07 pm
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CLT
  • Submitted refund request/sent email to AAdvantage CS requesting a refund of the 5 certificates I purchased in January 2022 on March 1
  • AA CS got back to me via email on 3/30 saying they were not refundable and I would be getting loyalty points for each of my upgrades. I pushed back on the refund (and explained how I got a credit for one of them) and the agent agreed to submit a manual refund exception.
  • An Executive Liaison called me yesterday to review the situation with me. I essentially said that if you were able to refund one, you should be able to refund all. He said he wasn't sure how that refund got approved, and it was probably a system error. He said he couldn't refund me, but he said he wanted to "make things right with me". I was expecting a voucher, but the agent offered me a whopping 5,000 miles each for all the certificates I had purchased (not those that I was awarded by flying EQMs), including for the one that was erroneously refunded.
I walked away with 55,000 miles...way more than the retail value of the certificates. Very satisfied with the outcome IMO.
Man I wish I could get this deal for my years worth of unused certs, I'd pull in 355k miles
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by CLT
LP's too? Or did these post as Bonus Miles?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Is it possible to get on the upgrade list when part of a group on a single PNR? I know that the upgrade itself is only for the member plus one. But for example, if I am on a PNR with 5 non-status pax, could I get my name plus one on the upgrade list, leaving the other 4 in coach if it clears? I don’t want to split the PNR so as to keep MCE, free bags, etc for all.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:11 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My wife is PLT and she's actually doing pretty well so far under this. She's 4/6 on upgrades since the policy change.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by CMK10
My wife is PLT and she's actually doing pretty well so far under this. She's 4/6 on upgrades since the policy change.
To make this data point more meaningful, can you share her LPs? That'll help other Plats know whether they can expect similar or different success rates (realizing that location, destination, day of week and time of day impact upgrade rates as well). Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Is it possible to get on the upgrade list when part of a group on a single PNR? I know that the upgrade itself is only for the member plus one. But for example, if I am on a PNR with 5 non-status pax, could I get my name plus one on the upgrade list, leaving the other 4 in coach if it clears? I don’t want to split the PNR so as to keep MCE, free bags, etc for all.
No. You must split it to get on the list. The others will not get proactively booted out of MCE but if their seats change for any reason (e.g. aircraft swap) they will lose it.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _kurt
No. You must split it to get on the list. The others will not get proactively booted out of MCE but if their seats change for any reason (e.g. aircraft swap) they will lose it.
I believe if that happens you can call and get them moved back into MCE. It's not a published benefit (at least as far as I can tell -- the benefit specifies "on the same reservation") but certainly they will do it for EXP. I'm not sure about other status levels.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bosman
To make this data point more meaningful, can you share her LPs? That'll help other Plats know whether they can expect similar or different success rates (realizing that location, destination, day of week and time of day impact upgrade rates as well). Thanks.
Pretty low, I think in the 15-17K Range. I'm actually not sure she'll qualify again and may be GLD next year. We'll see.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I've never actually booked in MC/hoped for upgrade but was looking at a MEX-LAX itinerary w/ a stop in MIA. I realize might be tough on the smaller plane to MIA but was hoping the 77W to LAX w/ so many J seats might be a good shot. Do I have to do anything to indicate in the res. that I would like a Plat upgrade should there be one available? I went through the booking process and wasnt asked anything so is it just an automatic thing? I booked with miles b/c 19K miles seemed quite good, especially when it was 97K for J. Any data points for a Plat getting an upgrade on the 77W?

Was thinking of booking a DL flight also and then if no upgrade I believe I can cancel the AA flight with no issues/get my miles put back in and then just take the DL non stop. Despite the stop in MIA I actually would get in 5 hours earlier to LA which is why I would prefer that option not to mention the flat bed.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Do I have to do anything to indicate in the res. that I would like a Plat upgrade should there be one available? I went through the booking process and wasnt asked anything so is it just an automatic thing? I booked with miles b/c 19K miles seemed quite good, especially when it was 97K for J.
No complimentary upgrades on award tickets unless EXP / CK.
_kurt likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm also not at all sure that you can get complimentary upgrades from Y to J. There are occasionally domestic widebody flights where the J cabin is sold as F (and the PE cabin is sold as MCE) and there you can definitely get a complimentary upgrade to a lie-flat seat as though it were a regular domestic F seat. But if the cabin is sold as "Flagship" I don't think even an EXP can get a compimentary upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.