Rant: No food on a transcon

Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
to be fair we should make the comparison between first world AA (said between clenched teeth) and all the foreign airlines offering food on 4hr+flyts.

Some of us find it attractive as a snack even if it's peanuts to be slowly munched to fill the boredom of a middle seat

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 27, 2022 at 10:48 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Sure the OP's use of the word starving is dramatic but AA's economy service is simply unacceptable. Here is what I received on a recent transcon in Comfort+ on Delta. Everything in the below photo was complementary.
Yes, and what a meal it is!
kevin111260 and ajf87 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
Why don't you eat at Centurion Lounge?
You do realize the LAX Centurion has been closed for almost 2 years, right? In fact, I think the lounge was only open for about week from it's initial opening to initial COVID closure.

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
My son recently did a round trip on Turkish Airlines between DUB and IST. 1,550 miles. Roughly the distance between JFK and AUS. These were the complimentary meals in Y. Bread was warm.

chrisny2, N1120A and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I definitely carry spare protein bars for these occasions.

Absolutely, having snacks on a long flight is important, ultimately you need to be ready even if the airline fails.

It really isn't an excuse though that the airlines can't serve decent food. Air Canada has even started selling business class meals in economy if you are inclined to pay up, which can meal a hot meal in real crockery, even on a domestic or US bound flight.

Here is Alaska's current daytime meal menu for economy. From my past experiences with Alaska they do a nice job as well, plus I can expect full bar service, and have even been gifted a chocolate bar for my OW status when flying on AS. Meanwhile on my last transcon with American I was amazed to receive both the Biscoff cookies AND corn nuts, they can do better than that!

AC selling business meals in economy is not new.

Originally Posted by tai4de2
AS is a great li’l airline, but be aware that despite presenting you with the possibility of preordering meals, there’s a non-zero chance of “sorry, we weren’t catered as expected” “because covid” on your flight. That has happened to me multiple times within the past few months.

This doesn’t change the point some of you are making when comparing AA to other airlines, but as a practical matter the grass isn’t always greener even when it seems like it should be.
AS is an interesting airline that has a lot of bad habits that seem to get overlooked.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Feel free to take food that isn't smelly. Your fellow passengers will appreciate it.
Eh. Feel free to realize that "smelly" is relative. The only food that people universally agree smells bad is durian.
BWISkyGuy likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 27, 2022 at 10:51 pm Reason: Removed quote of and reply to deleted post
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Before almost any trip I toss a bunch of soft granola bars in my pack. Sometimes they get eaten, sometimes not. Up thread someone mentioned jerky, for domestic flights that is fine but could be problematic on some international flights as meat products can not always be imported.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Stripe
My son recently did a round trip on Turkish Airlines between DUB and IST. 1,550 miles. Roughly the distance between JFK and AUS. These were the complimentary meals in Y. Bread was warm.

That's great but the average American air traveler books the cheapest possible ticket, that's why the ULCCs like Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, etc., are the fastest-growing and most profitable airlines right now. The vast majority of travelers in the US (domestic leisure, especially post-COVID) couldn't give two shts about in-flight meals, they're getting on Priceline and Expedia and booking the cheapest flight no matter what. I hate to be elitist, but in many other countries air travel is a luxury that is not accessible to most of the population. In America that's not the case. Air travel is accessible to the masses, and the product reflects that.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by ajf87
That's great but the average American air traveler books the cheapest possible ticket, that's why the ULCCs like Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, etc., are the fastest-growing and most profitable airlines right now. The vast majority of travelers in the US (domestic leisure, especially post-COVID) couldn't give two shts about in-flight meals, they're getting on Priceline and Expedia and booking the cheapest flight no matter what. I hate to be elitist, but in many other countries air travel is a luxury that is not accessible to most of the population. In America that's not the case. Air travel is accessible to the masses, and the product reflects that.
I don't think that's true at all. I've purchased many econ air tickets in Asia that cost much less than a typical US transcon (or even midcon) econ ticket, but I still get a full meal service even on a 2 hour flight. Companies give out as little as people will tolerate. And based on the AApologists here in this thread, I'd say AA can keep on keeping on.
ijgordon, N1120A and KeithRedford like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I don't think this is a fair statement. Low Cost Carriers are way bigger in Europe than they are in the United States and are quite Profitable. Ryanair and EasyJet really set the model for what a low cost carrier is and (to my recollection) did this prior to Spirit or Frontier pushing the model. On top of htat europe has Wizzair, airBaltic, Norweigan, Eurowings, Jet2, Tui, and Transavia have all had some measure of success being regional LCCs. Hell airlines like Norwegian and WOW even tried to push the model to transatlantic (though unsuccessfully), but had a big enough pull to make Iceland Air go from full service airline to a low cost carrier model.

While US-Based Airlines have definitely been slashing costs (and food is one of them) to compete with LCC, European Airlines for the most part (with the exception of BA) have managed to keep a decent amount of service despite dealing with ULCC's who have gone lower than most US ULCCs. Also, I have flown on pretty much every US airline transcon (with the exception of Jet Blue).... I don't understand how they justify one drink service on a 5-6 hour flight.
chrisny2 and KeithRedford like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:43 am

FWIW, I recently flew AA from MIA-LIR and there were several pre-flight gate announcements saying no food would be available on board, even for purchase. Luckily, we'd used my Priority Pass to visit the Turkish Airlines club (quite a hike, BTW) and had a pretty decent breakfast. But, granted, no food options on a transcon does seem stingy.

UA on the other hand, has buy-on-board on their LIR-IAH flight, which I think would put AA at a competitive disadvantage, although I doubt anyone choses one airline over another based on one's ability to buy overpriced, salty snacks at 30,000 feet. We did choose the AA flight, however, because they had wi-fi internationally and UA does not, and my partner needed to be working that morning.

As my 9th grade algebra teacher used to say "You pays your money, you takes your choice"
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Yep, I have flown MIA-SEA many times through covid, the longest lower-48 domestic US flight, and the lack of service in the back is pathetic. I always fill up in the airport before boarding, and hope to sleep through as much of the flight as I can. American is the last large US airline holding out of resuming full service in the back of plane "because covid" even though Delta, United, Jetblue, Alaska, etc have been able to do it.

I recently booked FLL-SEA on Alaska instead, and have the choice of 4, yes FOUR, meal pre-order options in economy for buy-on-board. Plus I got a free premium class seat with my AA status so I'll get complementary adult beverages as well.
this is exactly what we did. Alaska just honestly outperformed AA in terms of almost everything. I have never felt like more of a sh*t for being loyal to AA then while flying Alaska on that route last weekend and then on to Fairbanks.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Sure the OP's use of the word starving is dramatic but AA's economy service is simply unacceptable. Here is what I received on a recent transcon in Comfort+ on Delta. Everything in the below photo was complementary.
And we wonder at all why American's are overweight
enviroian and tcdtcd like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
An emergency granola/protein bar and maybe some jerky is a great idea. You never know when you're going to get stranded at CVG after all of the airport concessions close with a ...... $10 voucher for questionable hotel food likely prepared by drug addicts and a 530AM departure the next morning way before even the airport Starbucks are open.
How about you stick to the topic instead of throwing about random allegations without any proof to back it up? You are probably (wait for it), one of the entitled "karens" or "kens" making up random accusations as you go along, when who knows you're probably better at guessing that because as they say "it takes one to know one"?
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I wonder who put this thread on Trending Discussions before it was trending - and which may have made it trending!
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
The MIA-SEA in-flight food & beverage situation was truly bad during COVID. That's a seven-hour flight going west, plus or minus another hour of gate time at either end. If you run into anything like normal traffic getting to MIA you rarely have time to stop for a meal either at the Admirals Club nor at the few places offering takeaway in the terminal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.