Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.

Print Wikipost

AA Buy up / Boost for 2021-2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Sorry for the kindergarten question...I am just getting into using the AA portal. Once I use the portal to get to a shopping site, does it matter how I pay to get the LP? I tried to find that out, but doesn't seem that payment method matters.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Sorry for the kindergarten question...I am just getting into using the AA portal. Once I use the portal to get to a shopping site, does it matter how I pay to get the LP? I tried to find that out, but doesn't seem that payment method matters.
For the AAdvantage eShopping portal, it doesn't matter (but read the terms for each promo; some exclude gift card payments). Be sure to:

1. Disable your popup blocker, both on the portal as well as on the vendor website.
2. Complete the transaction in a continuous flow, from portal click-through to purchase completion.

Note: For SimplyMiles promos (a different program and a different website), you do need to register one or more MasterCards and then use those for the purchases.
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by vasantn
For the AAdvantage eShopping portal, it doesn't matter. But be sure to:

1. Disable your popup blocker, both on the portal as well as on the vendor website.
2. Complete the transaction in a continuous flow, from portal click-through to purchase completion.

Note: For SimplyMiles promos (a different program and a different website), you do need to register one or more MasterCards and then use those for the purchases.
Thanks! I couldn't find that-even in the "how it works" section. User error. I did two last night and believe pop up blocker was on. I will see if they post. They weren't huge-but I did get the notification on the vendor site "You are about to earn...." so I am hopeful.

Last edited by Mr. Vker; Mar 13, 2022 at 8:36 am
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
It seems that so many threads in the AA forum are devolving into a "how to manufacture LP" regardless of the initial thread intent. I'm surprised no one has taken the "Slippers again on C class to Asia?" thread and pointed out how the OP could generate xxx LP by buying slippers through the AA shopping portal.

PS above is only slightly serious
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Who would buy something you're rarely going to use?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by enviroian
Who would buy something you're rarely going to use?
People do that all the time, especially if the purchase confers some sort of "status". Our economy would collapse if everyone bought only what they need and were going to use frequently,
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bosman
It seems that so many threads in the AA forum are devolving into a "how to manufacture LP" regardless of the initial thread intent.
No kidding. It'd be nice if we could keep all that to one or two consolidated threads.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I got offered Ex Plat for a few grand. It's a hard pass for me. I'm a free agent and will stay that way. The days of running up my spend to achieve status are long over.
aktchi and js1993 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Currently no status. Hit the mileage but was short about $600 for gold. Offer is $1,135 for gold...no thanks.
Emmett Ervin and js1993 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Meanwhile, I’d happily pay 5k or more to go exp to ck
Emmett Ervin likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems that so many threads in the AA forum are devolving into a "how to manufacture LP" regardless of the initial thread intent. I'm surprised no one has taken the "Slippers again on C class to Asia?" thread and pointed out how the OP could generate xxx LP by buying slippers through the AA shopping portal.

The original intent here is to talk about the price of buying gold status. This is just pointing out another (better, cheaper) way to buy it. It's on topic.

On a side note, paying $2k for gold status is ridiculous. You can get a credit card for $95 that has almost all the same benefits.
vasantn likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
On a side note, paying $2k for gold status is ridiculous. You can get a credit card for $95 that has almost all the same benefits.
I agree that $2k is a terrible price for Gold. I disagree that the credit card provides “almost the same benefits”. The credit card provides free domestic / short haul international checked bags, and Group 5 boarding. Better than nothing but you miss out on:

-Earning 7x RDM and LP for AA flights vs 5x
-Priority security and business class check-in
-Complimentary domestic upgrades
-Ability to reach an AA reservations phone representative after only a 3 hour 59 minute wait instead of a 4 hour 1 minute wait for a general member
-Free preferred seats at T-24 (ok I admit this is pretty worthless, I almost always want to guarantee my seats well in advance since flights are pretty full these days)
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent

I know you're joking, but the last Polaris flight I was on (Europe - US) had a pax bring their own slippers. I'm sure they would have been delighted to earn some PQPs for that purchase.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
"No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you're not eligible to receive an offer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount"

Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: PlatPro, Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vasantn
Not difficult.

Wrong.

It's quite easy, as a matter of fact.

Motley Fool 6200 LP for $86
Verizon 6200 LP for $39
Bright Cellars 3000 LP for $38
Spot & Tango 2500 LP for $16
Giftcards.com 3071 LP for $24
Hello Fresh 2000 LP for $23
Sunbasket 3700 LPs for $27
Byte 4650 LPs for $128

Total 31321 LPs for $381. And of course 31321 RDM.

I'm not even counting double dips and stacking deals. BTW I've received all of the above and a ton more.
What did you purchase to get the Verizon bonus for $39? I couldn't figure out what "new service" cost that amount from their website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.