Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.

Print Wikipost

AA Buy up / Boost for 2021-2

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by js1993
You seem like a good guy and I usually enjoy your posts here, but your "principles" are rather warped if you believe people who fully qualified as EXP in 2019 or 2020, just in time for travel to be shut down for ~18 months and at much higher travel and spending thresholds than were in effect in 2021, somehow deserve to lose their status or would be freeloading by getting an extension, which every other major airline seems to have granted.
Thanks for your comments. No I'm mad that AA continues to award extensions for EXP when others earned it the old fashioned way as I did regardless of travel being shut down for 18 months.

That's my beef.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for your comments. No I'm mad that AA continues to award extensions for EXP when others earned it the old fashioned way as I did regardless of travel being shut down for 18 months.

That's my beef.
The "old-fashioned way" was $15,000 EQD and 120,000 (?) EQM. Did you hit those in 2020 or accept the free AA extension?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The "old-fashioned way" was $15,000 EQD and 120,000 (?) EQM. Did you hit those in 2020 or accept the free AA extension?
sure did and considerably more than the thresholds you posted. Is that okay with you?

Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
sure did and considerably more than the thresholds you posted. Is that okay with you?

It's fine with me. I never implied otherwise.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:01 pm

Jan. 2020, when travel was still booming:

it's not like these freely comped plat pro's will be getting upgraded at all---they are at the bottom of the EQD pile.
link: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31933861-post34.html

Feb. 2022, almost two years into a pandemic:

Please don't [extend status] AA.

That's my beef.
Everyone has their limit, I guess. haha

(Ended up in that old promo thread via a new thread and it was too good not to post.)
aktchi likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Those who traveled a lot will still be at the top of the rolling EQD/LP heap, and will get elite choice rewards. I "earned" PlatPro for the 2021-22 earnings year, I'll get a small elite choice reward, and I'll get to keep EXP via the 2K-EQD promo. There is some truth that EXP is a zero-sum game when it comes to upgrades and it is also true that not every airline has handled the current disruption exactly the same way. I have my personal whine, which is that I can't get an AA credit card and once I fall below EXP it will be pretty much impossible to get back due to the status multiplier, oh well. I'll just cut way back on my travel and hope to stay at Plat so I at least get free MCE when I don't buy F. Nothing AA does will make 100% of travelers 100% happy.
js1993 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
... once I fall below EXP it will be pretty much impossible to get back due to the status multiplier ...
I keep reading this from various posters. There is no status multiplier for shopping LPs. Everyone is on the same footing. And until and unless they make major changes again to the program, shopping LPs are here to stay and easy to earn. The status multiplier dropping from 11 to 9 will be insignificant.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
I keep reading this from various posters. There is no status multiplier for shopping LPs. Everyone is on the same footing. And until and unless they make major changes again to the program, shopping LPs are here to stay and easy to earn. The status multiplier dropping from 11 to 9 will be insignificant.
The end of that bolded sentence almost assures the changes mentioned in the beginning.

Anyway, the person you quoted seems to be based in PHL, but the new program does seem to crush non-U.S.-based AA loyalists, most of whom have been stuck at home for two years, can't get an AA CC, and can't use the portals for much, if any, shopping.
vasantn and aktchi like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA, KF
Need some advice. I have AA Plat that expires 3/31/2023. I'm about $30 short of EQD and 2,800 short of EQM towards AA Plat Pro. I have a trip in March but as I understand it, I wouldn't get any EQMs from it (?). I got an email offer to secure Plat Pro status for $1,500 or 150k points or a combination of cash and points. This Plat Pro offer also expires in 3/31/2023. My question: Is this worth going for it or I'd better off just staying put? Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stingyguy
Need some advice. I have AA Plat that expires 3/31/2023. I'm about $30 short of EQD and 2,800 short of EQM towards AA Plat Pro. I have a trip in March but as I understand it, I wouldn't get any EQMs from it (?). I got an email offer to secure Plat Pro status for $1,500 or 150k points or a combination of cash and points. This Plat Pro offer also expires in 3/31/2023. My question: Is this worth going for it or I'd better off just staying put? Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Deadline for 2022 qualifying is Feb. 28. Anything after that counts toward 2023.

Whether Plat Pro is worth $1,500 depends on how much you travel, where, and where you generally end up on the upgrade list. A mileage run tomorrow or Monday would be a lot cheaper.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA, KF
Thumbs up

Deadline for 2022 qualifying is Feb. 28. Anything after that counts toward 2023.

Whether Plat Pro is worth $1,500 depends on how much you travel, where, and where you generally end up on the upgrade list. A mileage run tomorrow or Monday would be a lot cheaper.
Thanks. Mileage run a lot cheaper and makes sense.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
For someone who's only going to "gently" restart travel? Free agency plus one or more airline credit cards would probably be a lot more cost-effective.
LOL it was my physician who said he was okaying gentle restart. He meant that we are optimistic but we really don't know the turns this pandemic may take. So instead of booking a year's worth of flights calculated to make me EXP next year, I should fly, watch, fly, watch, and so on. If that means I don't requalify or get stuck at Platinum, that's just life.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
LOL it was my physician who said he was okaying gentle restart. He meant that we are optimistic but we really don't know the turns this pandemic may take. So instead of booking a year's worth of flights calculated to make me EXP next year, I should fly, watch, fly, watch, and so on. If that means I don't requalify or get stuck at Platinum, that's just life.
Okay. If you're not hellbent on re-qualifying as EXP, I'll stick with my "free agency plus one or more airline credit cards" advice.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Stingyguy
With those numbers definitely consider a MR in the next 2 days. Just the cheapest round trip that gets those numbers. Shoot for a few extra EQM, erring on the side of caution. Good luck.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:14 am

If I were you, I'd wait until at least mid-March before doing anything. I'm seeing more and more reports like yours. I'll be surprised if AA doesn't grant a bunch of free extensions or no-fee challenges to people like you after 2022 qualifying ends (on Feb. 28) and AA sees a bunch of formerly loyal customers about to drop to no status and possibly leave for DL or UA.
This makes a lot of sense. No harm in revisiting this issue in 2-3 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.