Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA pulled SEA-LHR - Back as of 30 Oct 2022

Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Don’t see any flights scheduled in April and beyond. Wouldn’t surprise me if they ceded the route to BA given AA’s loads.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:09 am

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...on-11645210860
Old Feb 20, 2022, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I saw a similar article on another site, so a search by OP might find out without the WSJ paywall.
As I remember what I had read, DFW-TLV will also be delayed.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Looks like last flight for SEA-LHR would be on Mar 25th, 2022.

LAX-SYD last flight May 1st, 2022.

Prior to COVID, from LAX, AA served EZE, GRU, SYD, AKL (?), NRT, HKG, PEK, PVG, LHR. Now the only long-haul left is LHR.. Pathetic.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Just got two trips cancelled as part of this. I suppose it's a good thing I booked early. Might be a challenge to get flights to SEA this summer.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by 985X
Prior to COVID, from LAX, AA served EZE, GRU, SYD, AKL (?), NRT, HKG, PEK, PVG, LHR.
You forgot HND.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Looks like last flight for SEA-LHR would be on Mar 25th, 2022.

LAX-SYD last flight May 1st, 2022.

Prior to COVID, from LAX, AA served EZE, GRU, SYD, AKL (?), NRT, HKG, PEK, PVG, LHR. Now the only long-haul left is LHR.. Pathetic.
AKL was served from LAX.

PEK, PVG ended a while before COVID though. Those were comically bad performers.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So is AA canceling/canceled all these former cities served due to Covid, dreamliner production or a little of each?
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Had a SEA-LHR-CDG booking impacted. Trying to figure out best re-route option. They rebooked me on SEA-ORD-LHR-CDG, which isn't great.

Could do SEA-LHR-CDG on BA, with the new suites, but afraid to get an aircraft swap to the crappy old seats, which they've done to me everytime I've tried to fly them.
SEA-ORD-CDG, SEA-DFW-CDG and SEA-PHL-CDG are options, but don't want to get the dreaded concept D seats, not sure how to tell how likely they'd show up.
Supposed there is also SEA-HEL-CDG, never flown AY, so not sure how it'd compare.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Had a SEA-LHR-CDG booking impacted. Trying to figure out best re-route option. They rebooked me on SEA-ORD-LHR-CDG, which isn't great.

Could do SEA-LHR-CDG on BA, with the new suites, but afraid to get an aircraft swap to the crappy old seats, which they've done to me everytime I've tried to fly them.
SEA-ORD-CDG, SEA-DFW-CDG and SEA-PHL-CDG are options, but don't want to get the dreaded concept D seats, not sure how to tell how likely they'd show up.
Supposed there is also SEA-HEL-CDG, never flown AY, so not sure how it'd compare.
What about SEA-LAX-CDG, Alaska and Air Tahiti Nui are both AA partners, and you can get AA flight number on LAX-CDG
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
What about SEA-LAX-CDG, Alaska and Air Tahiti Nui are both AA partners, and you can get AA flight number on LAX-CDG
Interesting. Hadn't thought of that. Although the rest of the family are all AS Mileage Plan members, so might not be the best option for them.

Editted - also appears to be not allowed on routing rules / over MPM.

Last edited by SEA-Flyer; Feb 20, 2022 at 1:59 pm
Old Feb 20, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
So is AA canceling/canceled all these former cities served due to Covid, dreamliner production or a little of each?
A little of each is my take. Use the aircraft (and crew) they have to the best advantage.

19 Feb (ExecTrav AU)-->American Airlines suspends Sydney flights
The Qantas partner will pause its flights between Los Angeles and Sydney from May 5

American Airlines will suspend flights between Sydney and Los Angeles from May 5, citing “ongoing delays” to the delivery of new Boeing 787 jets. The daily trans-Pacific service is American’s only Australian route; also being put on ice are Seattle to London and Dallas Fort Worth to Santiago, while the launch of a new flight between Dallas Fort Worth and Tel Aviv has also been pushed back. An American Airlines spokesman confirmed the changes to Executive Traveller, adding that the carrier was “proactively reaching out to customers scheduled to travel on affected flights to offer alternate arrangements. ”“American is committed to Australia and offers service through our Oneworld partner, Qantas,” he added.

Qantas’ daily Sydney-Los Angeles schedule in May shows an Airbus A380 five days a week, with the mid-sized Boeing 787 Dreamliner currently slotting in on Tuesday and Sunday. The Boeing 787 has become American’s international workhorse, but in December 2021 the airline suggested it would need to revise its schedule to account for as many as 13 planes it had counted on having but remained undelivered.
<snip>
Another blogger --> https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...mliner-delays/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 20, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer

Concept D was regularly a thing on SEA-LHR, so you weren’t going to potentially avoid it had the route stuck around.

I’d probably do BA if they can put you on the 781, the 781 on that route has stuck around pretty well. Avoid the 789.

AY J out of SEA is probably going to be on their old A330 J, which is basically AA’s 763 J with actual built in IFE, and “throne” seats with pretty narrow footwells, with a small chance of their new A330 J (which… IDK, looks kind of like SQ J, which has fans and haters). You really want their A350.
SEA-Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A little of each is my take. Use the aircraft (and crew) they have to the best advantage.
Certainly seems like they’re flying pretty close to their widebody capacity for long hauls. Obviously they’ll choose to cut flights that are some combination of the worst performers and the least important to the network. SEA-LHR and LAX-SYD could both fit in the latter category, since close partners operate both routes, including with AA codeshares. Doesn’t mean AA wouldn’t like to fly the route if they had the capacity.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Cancelling SEA-LHR is a bit of a surprise given how much AA has promoted SEA as being their new West Coast gateway to overseas destinations. I guess it’s just another hub or mini-hub AA is going to abandon (BNA, RDU, SJU, STL, LAX). UA/CO has abandoned CLE while DL has abandoned CVG and MEM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.