Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cash and Award ticket combined?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:44 am
Original Poster

AA cash and Award ticket combined?

I am booking an AA award flight from LAX to BKK on JL. I need to reposition from AUS to LAX and there are no saver award flight availabilty. If I purchase a separate cash ticket will AA check my bags through to BKK? If they do, will a 1:45 connection time be enough time?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
No, AA does not connect baggage on separate tickets.

I may end up merging this into our thread on that topic.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by diverg
I am booking an AA award flight from LAX to BKK on JL. I need to reposition from AUS to LAX and there are no saver award flight availabilty. If I purchase a separate cash ticket will AA check my bags through to BKK? If they do, will a 1:45 connection time be enough time?
There *used* to be a way to add a cash segment to an award (or vice versa: add an award segment to a cash ticket) while on hold (before purchase), but you had to call AA and find an agent knowledgable of the procedure. I have no idea if this policy is still around, though. (See post #18 in Award ticket merging with cash ticket?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
Tried like heck to make it work, and in the past had no problems combining cash and mile tickets, but no go anymore, had to reposition to dfw and pick up and recheck bags…at dfw we has two hours and was barely enough time.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am fairly sure that AS will check bags through even if you are continuing on a separate ticket, as long as the other ticket is with a partner who they have both a ticketing and baggage agreement with, and you have less than 12 hr between flights.

I say "fairly sure" because their website doesn't seem to specifically say this, though it's strongly implied, and they used to do it for sure.

Anyway, if they still do this (check the AS forum?) one option would be to buy a ticket on AS instead of AA to get to LAX, and have AS check your bags through to BKK. You can still credit the flight to AA if you want, and you get some status benefits as well, including upgrades, if your AA status is high enough.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
I actually did some research on this just 2 days ago because of similar situation. Cash ticket + award, separate tickets. If both tickets are 001, you can call to link the 2 reservations (if the agent knows how to do it) or at check in, give the second reservation to the check in agent and ask for your bags to be tagged to your final destination. One thing may be an issue is the document check for intl travel, now days other than the passport, there are other Covid related requirements, not sure if agent at AUS needs to do it before tagging bags / check you in. Leave yourself enough time just in case.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by 350zrx330
I actually did some research on this just 2 days ago because of similar situation. Cash ticket + award, separate tickets. If both tickets are 001, you can call to link the 2 reservations (if the agent knows how to do it) or at check in, give the second reservation to the check in agent and ask for your bags to be tagged to your final destination.
LOL, no, I'm sorry but your research has failed you. AA will not check bags through on separate reservations as mentioned several times in this thread and elsewhere in the numerous threads that pop up on the subject.

Asking at check-in or calling before to "link" your reservations (no such thing) will get you nowhere.

This policy has been in place for years now, no if's and's or but's about it.
ceebee100 and wylek like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
LOL, no, I'm sorry but your research has failed you. AA will not check bags through on separate reservations as mentioned several times in this thread and elsewhere in the numerous threads that pop up on the subject.

Asking at check-in or calling before to "link" your reservations (no such thing) will get you nowhere.

This policy has been in place for years now, no if's and's or but's about it.
The information I found is from saleslink.aa.com. Dated Sept 2016, can't find any other documents with newer dates that indicated checked through luggage policy. Below is the language from the document "When there are separate tickets issued in separate PNR’s, customer’s baggage will be checked to the final destination of the American 001 ticket. "

So does this mean if the second ticket is also AA ticket starting 001, it should get checked through?

Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The information I found is from saleslink.aa.com. Dated Sept 2016, can't find any other documents with newer dates that indicated checked through luggage policy. Below is the language from the document "When there are separate tickets issued in separate PNR’s, customer’s baggage will be checked to the final destination of the American 001 ticket. "

So does this mean if the second ticket is also AA ticket starting 001, it should get checked through?

Thanks
No, AA will not check bags through on separate PNR's, makes no difference if both tickets are 001 stock or not. That document is almost 6 years old, I don't remember the exact date AA changed this policy but it was sometime right around then.

From aa.com, today: "We only through check bags if all your tickets are in the same record locator..."
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:34 am

Talking

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, AA will not check bags through on separate PNR's, makes no difference if both tickets are 001 stock or not. That document is almost 6 years old, I don't remember the exact date AA changed this policy but it was sometime right around then.

From aa.com, today: "We only through check bags if all your tickets are in the same record locator..."
Thanks for clearing that. Just had a quick chat with an AA agent, the key word now is "Same Record Locater". Separate tickets but same record locator is fine, other than this, no check through luggage. Glad I left enough time for my connecting flights.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for clearing that. Just had a quick chat with an AA agent, the key word now is "Same Record Locater". Separate tickets but same record locator is fine, other than this, no check through luggage. Glad I left enough time for my connecting flights.
Yep, here's the updated doc and relevant threads here, the wiki's have lots of info. Looks like this policy was effective Sep. 1, 2016.

Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016

FAQ: Baggage / Luggage Rules, Allowance, Through-check on AA & Other Airlines

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...te_Tickets.pdf
350zrx330 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.