Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

“Erratic” person tried to open door inflight, subdued by passengers & crew, 13 Feb 22

“Erratic” person tried to open door inflight, subdued by passengers & crew, 13 Feb 22

Old Feb 13, 2022, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

Apparently there was a distributive pax that tried to open the aircraft door mid flight and caused a diversion!!!

https://viewfromthewing.com/emergenc...m=BoardingArea
Old Feb 13, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If things are as they seem/reported, kudos to the FA and passengers who subdued him.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 13, 2022 at 10:07 pm Reason: Removed reference to old title
Old Feb 13, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
Apparently there was a distributive pax that tried to open the aircraft door mid flight and caused a diversion!!!

what would you have them do instead ?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Excessive call button usage.
corky, mrow, seigex and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Was on the national news. The perp PAX is lucky all they got hit with was a coffee pot. Wait til they get hit with the criminal charges.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:17 pm

Its a good reason for them to have very frequent coffee service.
madmanshoney likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 13, 2022 at 10:09 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: A few
Thanks to the FA hitting the guy in the head with the coffee pot, it is now a bloody mess that is now that much harder to control. Try taking someone bloody into custody while they are resisting, it is not easy for anyone. And head wounds bleed so much more. And the haz-mat of that blood if the guy wanted to fight.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
This was 1775 from LAX to DCA.
Diverted to MCI - landed at 2:32
Departed MCI at 8:16pm, in flight, arriving DCA now at 11:25pm
I am sure - lots of frustrated passengers for the 7 hour delay.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink

He'd have to be Superman to be able to open the door at that altitude.
The air pressure difference would make it impossible for him to pull the door inward for it to be opened
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by 96SS
Thanks to the FA hitting the guy in the head with the coffee pot, it is now a bloody mess that is now that much harder to control. Try taking someone bloody into custody while they are resisting, it is not easy for anyone. And head wounds bleed so much more. And the haz-mat of that blood if the guy wanted to fight.
Or perhaps someone was in the galley when a nutty passenger comes up and starts trying to open the door, and an unsuspecting flight attendant didn’t have time to take stock of the options to prevent someone from doing something awful and instead had to make a snap decision.

Originally Posted by mvoight
He'd have to be Superman to be able to open the door at that altitude.
The air pressure difference would make it impossible for him to pull the door inward for it to be opened
​​​​​​​
I wouldn’t expect an FA to know which aircraft have plug doors and which do not, or how much altitude the aircraft would need to render the door impossible to open. I have to say, if I were in the bulkhead and saw a passenger trying to open a door, I would probably take immediate action to hinder and restrain the passenger even knowing that the door would be inhumanly impossible to open.
enviroian, Statman, IggySD and 8 others like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 14, 2022 at 12:31 am
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Microwave
I wouldn’t expect an FA to know which aircraft have plug doors and which do not, or how much altitude the aircraft would need to render the door impossible to open. I have to say, if I were in the bulkhead and saw a passenger trying to open a door, I would probably take immediate action to hinder and restrain the passenger even knowing that the door would be inhumanly impossible to open.
Why would you not expect an FA to know how to open a door? Aren't they trained specifically for the aircraft they work on?
Tanic likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Flight 1775 incident

Yesterday AA 1775 LAX-DCA diverted to MCI due to a unruly passenger. So they divert to unload him I see plans was on the ground there 5-1/2 hours why so long if I was a passenger I would not be happy.
Maybe it’s time to bring back or increase sky marshals on many flights with all the misbehaving and diversions. Maybe redirect some TSA resources.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:26 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm watching "Mutiny On The Bounty." Maybe the captain should be permitted to have passengers flogged?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Apparently there are approx 3,000 FAMs working for the agency.

If you wanted one on every flight then that would require a huge increase in numbers

who is going to pay for that?

despite the headlines these incidents generate in the totality of all flights the number is very small.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why would you not expect an FA to know how to open a door? Aren't they trained specifically for the aircraft they work on?
Don’t fret, I never said I didn’t expect an FA to know how to open a door. Here’s what I said:

Originally Posted by Microwave
I wouldn’t expect an FA to know which aircraft have plug doors and which do not, or how much altitude the aircraft would need to render the door impossible to open.
Knowing how to open a door doesn’t require one to know whether it’s a plug door, and it doesn’t require one to know at which altitude the door cannot be forced open by an able-bodied person. The key is that I don’t expect a quick-thinking FA to be able to immediately judge the potential for success of a passenger trying to open a door during flight; rather, I would expect him or her to act quickly by stopping said passenger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.