Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

“Erratic” person tried to open door inflight, subdued by passengers & crew, 13 Feb 22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Erratic” person tried to open door inflight, subdued by passengers & crew, 13 Feb 22

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by psusaver
"Will have to"? I think they can easily make a case that it will be sold only with certain ticketing classes. public carrier contracts limit to moving people and may be providing some food options if flights are longer than a certain duration. There is NO law forcing anyone to sell alcohol. If you are making an economic case, then please elaborate.
Right? With AA who knows. As long as I can knock back my 5 titos to LHR I don't care. I don't drink on really any other flight since they are day flights for work.
psusaver likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by enviroian
Right? With AA who knows. As long as I can knock back my 5 titos to LHR I don't care. I don't drink on really any other flight since they are day flights for work.
I generally feel people are little nicer on international (esp long haul) flights compared to domestic "long haul" ones, but we have seen the occasional weird stories and aircraft turnarounds with those too.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Were I in fear of my life and 100+ others, I would not be limiting my response to "in custody."
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why would you be in fear of your life, it is NOT possible to open the door at cruising altitude?
Thatmikereed didn't say he feared the door could be opened or that opening the door poses a risk to his to life.

An erratic person could be a danger to all pax and it is reasonable to fear an erratic person on board.

So whether the door could be opened or not is completely irrelevant.
skylady, onanisland and FAA1996 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Honest question:

We know most of the boarding/emergency exit doors are the plug type (such that the interior of the door has more surface area than the exterior and can not be opened with a reasonable pressure differential) but what about the “power” doors like in the front of the 767 and 777?

I imagine there must be some kind of pressure interlock switch to inhibit the door opening at high altitudes, but if the cabin is pressurized to 8,000 feet, then wouldn’t the door be operational at 8,000 feet and below?

I guess the same logic would apply with the plug doors, meaning that they would be “open-able” up to 8,000 feet?

I recall news stories of times when doors were opened at high altitude airports like La Paz where the pressure was not equalized with fatal results for those outside the airplane.

But for the calculations- If a strong person can lift 400 pounds, and an emergency exit door is 2 feet wide by 4 feet tall = 8 square feet = 1152 square inches = then 400/1152 = 0.347 psi = or about 660 ft of altitude differential.

So theoretically above 8660 ft the door should not be open-able?
Electric ones will not open, unless they have completely malfunctioned.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by psusaver
I generally feel people are little nicer on international (esp long haul) flights compared to domestic "long haul" ones, but we have seen the occasional weird stories and aircraft turnarounds with those too.
Flights where every single person on board owns a passport are often a bit more civilised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.