FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Food in Admirals Clubs (merged threads) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2068444-food-admirals-clubs-merged-threads.html)

donotblink Feb 10, 2022 5:57 pm

Food in Admirals Clubs (merged threads)

I haven’t seen this before

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...72a2dbfa9.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1802c0c39.jpeg

enviroian Feb 10, 2022 6:07 pm

That looks really tasty.

donotblink Feb 10, 2022 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33981673)
That looks really tasty.

it was mediocre but better than the awful falafel they have been serving as part of their Mezze plate!

platbrownguy Feb 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33981673)
That looks really tasty.

I've had to fly DL a few times recently. Generally they are trash, but the ATL SkyClub in terminal E has had real legit food -- BBQ pulled pork, veggies, mac and cheese (better than AA's), and a whole buffet of sandwiches and sides.

LGA attempted something similar but quality was terrible. (overcooked/heat-warmered "paella" and ravioli etc).

Maybe AA is improving to compete with DL. AA had a breakfast taco bar set up at DCA a few days ago. They had tortillas warming in one of the soup containers, with the usual bad scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa, etc. The tortilla went a long way to improve things. I ended up putting cheese between two tortillas to make a quesadilla, sent it through the toaster, and then added eggs, bacon crumbles, and salsa.

platbrownguy Feb 10, 2022 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 33981733)
it was mediocre but better than the awful falafel they have been serving as part of their Mezze plate!

Agree on the falafel, but the tzatziki yogurt stuff mixes really well with the Italian wedding soup.

VFR Feb 10, 2022 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 33981776)
I've had to fly DL a few times recently. Generally they are trash, but the ATL SkyClub in terminal E has had real legit food -- BBQ pulled pork, veggies, mac and cheese (better than AA's), and a whole buffet of sandwiches and sides.

LGA attempted something similar but quality was terrible. (overcooked/heat-warmered "paella" and ravioli etc).

Maybe AA is improving to compete with DL. AA had a breakfast taco bar set up at DCA a few days ago. They had tortillas warming in one of the soup containers, with the usual bad scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa, etc. The tortilla went a long way to improve things. I ended up putting cheese between two tortillas to make a quesadilla, sent it through the toaster, and then added eggs, bacon crumbles, and salsa.

I can second the fact LGA's Sky Clubs have terrible food, and less of it than ATL or LAX. They were also out of Dom Pérignon ("we haven't had that for weeks") in December, despite advertising it on the televisions.

Perhaps this is the start of improved Admirals Club food? Every so often we think that AA is improving the food and then get disappointed.

I've said it before, but I like it so here's VFR's Lounge Revenue Model Theory: I suspect that Amex pays Delta per Sky Club entrance for an Amex Platinum or DL Reserve cardholder, similar to how they do for Priority Pass, Plaza Premium, Escape, and others. This incentivizes Delta to have lounges that folks want actually want to visit, and helps match variable costs (i.e. food) with attendance for these lounge users. I suspect Citi pays AA a per-year fee for each Citi AA Executive card, which means AA is incentivized to only invest in just enough food so that you don't cancel your card.

Barbecue has the potential to be decent, it depends on how long the meat is allowed to sit out. What I'd really like to see are some rice bowls or grain bowls with cucumber, shredded carrots, onions, seasoned beef or chicken, and sriracha mayo... seems decently inexpensive.

platbrownguy Feb 10, 2022 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by VFR (Post 33981997)
What I'd really like to see are some rice bowls or grain bowls with cucumber, shredded carrots, onions, seasoned beef or chicken, and sriracha mayo... seems decently inexpensive.

Sounds like the DFW CapitalOne lounge.

metallo Feb 11, 2022 1:47 am

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 33981665)
I haven’t seen this before

It's not just ORD... the DFW D club had the same station earlier this week.

N1120A Feb 11, 2022 1:47 am

I'll stick to Tortas Fronterra

SpurMan Feb 11, 2022 2:41 am

The pulled chicken was pretty dire. I had one, and went off to McDonalds!

danielflyer Feb 11, 2022 4:12 am

This reminds me of Sloppy Joe day from 6th grade.

Check Feb 11, 2022 9:18 am

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 33981733)

I don't remember which club, but one time the falafel were served warm instead of stone cold and they were pretty good.

Cold falafel...the worst effing airline.

olouie Feb 11, 2022 10:13 am

Jfk had this too. Tasted like a middle school lunch.

Drwaz99 Feb 11, 2022 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry (Post 33982445)
This reminds me of Sloppy Joe day from 6th grade.

Second best day after Pizza day at my school.

Check Feb 11, 2022 11:08 am

Speaking of new AC offerings at ORD, I just received a report that the Italian Wedding Soup there tastes like dogfood.