Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying JFK-MEL Need Help picking Carrier and Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, United 1k, ITA CE, Marriott Ambr, Hertz Pres, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres

As thread title states I need to fly from JFK to MEL either late this week or early next week. Will be booking in business round trip. It looks like my options are JFK-DOH-MEL via Qatar 777 and A350. JFK-LAX-MEL via AA A321T and Qantas787-9 and then JFK-LAX-SYD-MEL Via AAA321-T and Qantas A380 or AA 787-9. I am trying to find the right balance of comfort on such long flights but also value for the spend to maximize with AA. I am currently AA EXP through 2023. I have never flown Qatar or Qantas, it seems Qatar is the worst when it comes to redeeming value, but I have always heard such great things about their product. Between all options prices seem to be 13k-17k, I am not concerned over the price honestly just trying to find a balance for the best use for the spend and then of course actual comfort on such a long trip. I appreciate any guidance or thoughts that might be shared.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Personally, I would fly the route that takes the shortest amount of flying time. (assuming no lengthy connections either)

Last edited by mvoight; Feb 9, 2022 at 6:48 pm
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no way that I would add the ~4000 miles in journey distance to go via Doha . It is a long enough trip as it is ; what airlines with decent routings are available?
JJeffrey and MCIUnitedGuy like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:55 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Jfk-lax-Mel no brainer.

if QF were still flying the one-stop 747 JFK-LAX-SYD, I’d opt for that.
Pookie1794 and Fly'nAAgain like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:13 am

I have done all of those routes. I echo what others have said: the long way via DOH is indeed the long way. I felt terrible on the return journey. I did it because at the time it was half the price of the more direct routes.

I do not see any great differences among the choices in terms of cabin comfort and amenities etc. [edit to add:] I was flying in biz on all those routes and that is what I was comparing.

Last edited by eamus; Feb 9, 2022 at 11:29 am
Old Feb 9, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I believe the Qantas A380 still has 2-2-2 seating in J, so no direct aisle access from window seats so I would stick with the 787 routes on Qantas or AA. Have done them all and they are all fine - see which is the best balance of cost and mile accrual. If you go through SYD, as EXP you get access to their first class lounge (if open), which is highly acclaimed (I didn't find it to be particularly noteworthy, but YMMV). LAX also has the Qantas first lounge which is great (if open).

The only time I have gone the other way (through DOH) was on miles because, well, miles. Wouldn't do it on a paid trip unless significant cost savings.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:28 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Were it me - I would opt for QF (sorry!) - you might need to check that the seating plan is to your liking however. Under no circumstances would I travel via DOH unless the saving was enormous.
camdentown likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
One additional thought: I have also flown to MEL through NRT and HKG on miles. Not sure of the paid cost, but may be worth looking into if Japan/Hong Kong are permitting transiting passengers as you can go nonstop to either from JFK.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
One additional thought: I have also flown to MEL through NRT and HKG on miles. Not sure of the paid cost, but may be worth looking into if Japan/Hong Kong are permitting transiting passengers as you can go nonstop to either from JFK.
That can make sense using miles (especially when there's no award availability elsewhere) but on a paid business class ticket where money is no object there's no reason not to just book JFK-LAX-MEL and back.

Not only is this the quickest and easiest but booked through AA as AA flight numbers it should earn the most LP's and RDM as well.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
Does it change when the "long way" is first class? ;-)
I am currently weighing JFK-LAX-SYD in business (perfectly fine if not boring) vs. something like JFK-FRA-SIN-SYD on SQ, with the first leg in business and the rest in the new A380 Suites class.
Either way would be with miles.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by BookerNYC
I am currently weighing JFK-LAX-SYD in business (perfectly fine if not boring) vs. something like JFK-FRA-SIN-SYD on SQ, with the first leg in business and the rest in the new A380 Suites class.
It's up to the flyer. I wouldn't do it
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BookerNYC
Both are going to have many hours of boredom and I wouldnt be going 4000 miles out of my way to go from business to 1st class plus change a 1 stop journey to 2
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Back to the OP.
Avoid the SYD option. The transfer from the Intl terminal to domestic after a long haul is painful at best.
JFK-LAX-MEL via AA A321T and Qantas787-9 is the better option.
dvs7310 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Keep it simple. Go for LAX then MEL.

No problems with working out any conditions transiting in DOH might require,
Significantly less distance than travelling via DOH,
No hassle transiting from SYD onto a domestic flight to MEL.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
One thing to remember is on the return you’re gonna have to go through immigration, collect and re-check your bags, and go through security again at LAX before the flight to JFK if you go via LAX. Is that enough to of a hassle to warrant a 4000 mile detour? Up to OP. But I will say transiting at DOH, especially in J, is usually breeze, even in the post-COVID world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.