Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I think AA gave me too many miles on recent trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I think AA gave me too many miles on recent trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Yeah, it was likely IRROP changes which led to the higher earnings. On the day of, likely no discounted fare buckets are left; only full fares (Y/J/F). Personally, I would play dumb.

I had something similar happened with another airline just last month. Flew the outbound...the return flight was delayed by a few hours, and an agent cancelled the ticket based on my (voluntary) request...I flew with a different airline instead, in order to get to the destination timely.

I got funds for the remaining ticket value credited to my account for almost the entire price paid; despite both the outbound and the return were exactly the same route, also same fare bucket. In addition, I received a retroactive earnings adjustment to my account for the outbound flight posting in excess what I paid for the entire trip.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I've had this happen several times over the past 20+ years during IRROPS. No airline has ever retracted the miles in my experience.
Same here. Especially with upgraded tickets such as yours, the ticket getting put into higher point-earning classes during reissues for whatever reason happens very often. Miles awarded erroneously are never clawed back in these circumstances.
Spend the miles and don't worry
Smuffe and squiddz like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
You typically only notice this when you're rebooked into a fare class that has higher bonus earnings.

On economy fares I've only noticed it when I credit to Alaska and the mileage earning is 100% for Y vs whatever discount economy % I'm suppose to get.

I consider it a small token for being inconvenienced.
Smuffe likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by atsak
You got rebooked in a different fare class that had a higher earning multiple, I suspect. This has happened to me on both AA and AC from time to time when booked in a low econ fare class then rebooked in fully Y.
Likely this. It is one of the few silver linings or IRROPS.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Yeah, it was likely IRROP changes which led to the higher earnings. On the day of, likely no discounted fare buckets are left; only full fares (Y/J/F). Personally, I would play dumb.

I had something similar happened with another airline just last month. Flew the outbound...the return flight was delayed by a few hours, and an agent cancelled the ticket based on my (voluntary) request...I flew with a different airline instead, in order to get to the destination timely.

I got funds for the remaining ticket value credited to my account for almost the entire price paid; despite both the outbound and the return were exactly the same route, also same fare bucket. In addition, I received a retroactive earnings adjustment to my account for the outbound flight posting in excess what I paid for the entire trip.
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Same here. Especially with upgraded tickets such as yours, the ticket getting put into higher point-earning classes during reissues for whatever reason happens very often. Miles awarded erroneously are never clawed back in these circumstances.
Spend the miles and don't worry
Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
You typically only notice this when you're rebooked into a fare class that has higher bonus earnings.

On economy fares I've only noticed it when I credit to Alaska and the mileage earning is 100% for Y vs whatever discount economy % I'm suppose to get.

I consider it a small token for being inconvenienced.
Originally Posted by rjflies
Likely this. It is one of the few silver linings or IRROPS.
As has been pointed out earlier, none of this is relevant. On AA-marketed flights, the award miles (RDMs) equal the fare times your status multiple. Period. Cabin and fare code have nothing to do with it. OP is not referring to EQMs.

[Edited to add:] For the last segment, the net fare and EQD should have been around $150 if the total price that the OP provided was net of taxes; less if taxes were included. Instead they seem to have recorded it at $1,669.

So it's likely a keypunch error.

It's also interesting that the OP seems to have received EQMs based on the upgraded class of service.
psusaver likes this.

Last edited by vasantn; Feb 8, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
As has been pointed out earlier, none of this is relevant. On AA-marketed flights, the award miles (RDMs) equal the fare times your status multiple. Period. Cabin and fare code have nothing to do with it. OP is not referring to EQMs.

[Edited to add:] For the last segment, the net fare and EQD should have been around $150 if the total price that the OP provided was net of taxes; less if taxes were included. Instead they seem to have recorded it at $1,669.

It's also interesting that the OP seems to have received EQMs based on the upgraded class of service.
Except I was referring to all of them - EQM, EQD, RDM, all not just EQM.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by vasantn

The price I stated was inclusive of taxes.

So it looks like a key punch error and not a high fare class. Interesting. My EQD now is artificially high. Perhaps I'll finally get the DFW upgrades I haven't before.

Smuffe likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
BA tickets booked with AA miles used to earn full BA Exec Club credit- redeemable miles and tier points. That was fun whilst it lasted .
Smuffe likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:18 pm

Just leave it

If you call them up, or point out an error, you'll just make it worse and end up with something else that is wrong. So just leave it.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Don't question it!!
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It will be interesting to see if they will fix it just from reading this thread...
Smuffe likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Feb 8, 2022 at 7:25 pm
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
OP may want to redact some of the information but it's likely that if you don't poke the bear AA will leave it.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by jimmielin
OP may want to redact some of the information but it's likely that if you don't poke the bear AA will leave it.
No doubt a vengeful FA has already reported it. haha
Old Feb 8, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I would guess AA has a lurker who monitors this forum...

Last edited by nk15; Feb 8, 2022 at 8:45 pm
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by golfer20
Why call AA? The AAgent who handled your IRROPs essentially "bought" you a new ticket for that price.
If you are the type of person who would complain to AA if they shorted you miles due to an error, than you owe it to AA to report it them when they give you more miles due to an error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.