Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Does it Again, Reaches new low in customer ratings

AA Does it Again, Reaches new low in customer ratings

Old Feb 6, 22, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum
AA Does it Again, competes for lowest place in operational rankings

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/06/wors...j-ranking.html

American Airlines tying with Frontier for third-to-last.

Last edited by bl-ord; Feb 6, 22 at 6:16 pm
Old Feb 6, 22, 3:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
With new AA partner JetBlue in last.

Man, what happened to JetBlue?

(I know, I know ... It partnered with AA.)
dpb132, darkrider and Dallas49er like this.
Old Feb 6, 22, 4:04 pm

AA actually climbed out of last place, where it was the previous two years in the WSJ rankings. But if AA is trying to compete with the LCCs, it's doing a great job! Delta, Southwest and Alaska have consistently been the top three in the last three years.
Old Feb 6, 22, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Wow--AA is ranked lower than Allegiant, which despite the fact it's the only airline that flies nonstop from South Florida (FLL) to GSP or AVL, I won't fly it unless it's a purely discretionary leisure trip because so many flights are cancelled or face lengthy delays. Allegiant's motto should be "When we go, we're great!"
Old Feb 6, 22, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by bl-ord View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/06/wors...j-ranking.html

American Airlines tying with Frontier for third-to-last.
The title of your contains misinformation. This ranking is not based on customer ratings

The list, released on Jan. 28, ranked the nine largest U.S. airlines based on their performance in 2021 across seven categories: on-time arrivals, cancelled flights, extreme delays, tarmac waits longer than two hours, mishandled baggage, passengers being involuntary bumped from flights and customer complaints.
DC9 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 22, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA CK
Only 1 place to go from there... I can already hear the Q2 AA all-hands/town hall: "Folks, thanks to your dedication and focus on the customer, we rose 2 spots in the latest rankings'.
Old Feb 6, 22, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by dave_261 View Post
Only 1 place to go from there... I can already hear the Q2 AA all-hands/town hall: "Folks, thanks to your dedication and focus on the customer, we rose 2 spots in the latest rankings'.
This is really mostly about operations and had very little to do with the customer. You know how people complain that the GAs want the door shut at T-10 or earlier no matter what? That will often inconvenience customers trying to make a tight connection but will help with this ranking (more on-time departures and arrivals).
AndyPatterson and DC9 like this.
Old Feb 6, 22, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
With new AA partner JetBlue in last.

Man, what happened to JetBlue?

(I know, I know ... It partnered with AA.)
JetBlue is living off a reputation that is like 8+ years old now
I flew JetBlue for the first time in years because of the new partnership.
Everything was worse than AA. Once I have line of sight to status renewal I'd be on UA or DL and forego the marginal amount of loyalty points.

Pre-airport
Randomly disappearing ability to select/change seats
Inability to change seats after checkin(?)

Airport
JFK T5 insane security lines with limited precheck hours.
Gate agents ranging from unhelpful to hostile.
Airport customer service that tries to help but hampered by IT limitations ... I would not want to be stuck on B6 during IRROPS
Very poor reliability

Onboard
E190s looking really shabby (so pleasant to have a broken window shade for an early morning flight)
I'm glad there were more snacks since I've to take those as a meal thanks to T5 security...
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Feb 6, 22, 7:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
This is really mostly about operations and had very little to do with the customer. You know how people complain that the GAs want the door shut at T-10 or earlier no matter what? That will often inconvenience customers trying to make a tight connection but will help with this ranking (more on-time departures and arrivals).
Id argue that customer service and operations are pretty tightly tied together when understaffing leads to both flight cancellations and then extreme difficulty in getting a passenger rebooked to their final destination.

And for things like bags on time, Delta makes it both with their 20 minutes or 2500 miles guarantee
Old Feb 6, 22, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Very little to do with the customer, indeed!

Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Id argue that customer service and operations are pretty tightly tied together when understaffing leads to both flight cancellations and then extreme difficulty in getting a passenger rebooked to their final destination.

And for things like bags on time, Delta makes it both with their 20 minutes or 2500 miles guarantee
Understaffing despite USD$Billions given to airlines courtesy of taxpayers to preserve staffing. Sounds like a crock of...........Loofahs?
Old Feb 7, 22, 1:07 am

Programs: Avios, TrueBlue, FlyingBlue, Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
"The title of your contains misinformation. This ranking is not based on customer ratings. The list, released on Jan. 28, ranked the nine largest U.S. airlines based on their performance in 2021 across seven categories: on-time arrivals, cancelled flights, extreme delays, tarmac waits longer than two hours, mishandled baggage, passengers being involuntary bumped from flights and customer complaints."

Misinformation? How can a customer be immune to what happens in the operation involving all of the disastrous ranking qualifiers you mentioned above?

Platinum Pro flier here. AA is one of the worst if not the worst airlines when it comes to their policies, customer service, and onboard service. I'm actually surprised they're not at the bottom of the list. I wish we had better non-stop options out of the So. Florida area.

Last edited by ussvalor; Feb 7, 22 at 1:13 am
Old Feb 7, 22, 1:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by ussvalor View Post
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
"The title of your contains misinformation. This ranking is not based on customer ratings. The list, released on Jan. 28, ranked the nine largest U.S. airlines based on their performance in 2021 across seven categories: on-time arrivals, cancelled flights, extreme delays, tarmac waits longer than two hours, mishandled baggage, passengers being involuntary bumped from flights and customer complaints."

Misinformation? How can a customer be immune to what happens in the operation involving all of the disastrous ranking qualifiers you mentioned above?

Platinum Pro flier here. AA is one of the worst if not the worst airlines when it comes to their policies, customer service, and onboard service. I'm actually surprised they're not at the bottom of the list. I wish we had better non-stop options out of the So. Florida area.
Maybe because this list is not based on customer ratings so the title is not correct. It based on some group's interpretation of DOT data.
Old Feb 7, 22, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
The ranking seems about right given the current abysmal customer service and operational experience AA provides. As someone else noted, operational performance is related to the customer experience. Its not like their JD Power ratings are better.

The top 3 (Delta, Alaska, Southwest) seem to be providing a better customer experience across the board. And #4 UA has invested a lot into customer focus of late.

Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
Maybe because this list is not based on customer ratings so the title is not correct. It based on some group's interpretation of DOT data.
Old Feb 7, 22, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, AA, UA, B6, HA, WN, Delta SkyClub, Alaska Lounge, Global Entry, CLEAR
The title of your contains misinformation. This ranking is not based on customer ratings

The list, released on Jan. 28, ranked the nine largest U.S. airlines based on their performance in 2021 across seven categories: on-time arrivals, cancelled flights, extreme delays, tarmac waits longer than two hours, mishandled baggage, passengers being involuntary bumped from flights and customer complaints.
Oh trust me if it were solely on customer ratings they'd be that low, have you seen AA's reputation? And delays, mishandled bags, pax being involuntary bumped, and especially customer complaints have no impact on customer ratings?
darkrider likes this.
Old Feb 7, 22, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
The top 3 (Delta, Alaska, Southwest) seem to be providing a better customer experience across the board. And #4 UA has invested a lot into customer focus of late.
Per the numerous clarifying comments upthread, these rankings are not based on customer satisfaction.

The fact is that all of these airlines have had their challenges and meltdowns over the past year, including particularly DL, WN, AS, and UA. I've flown all of them a fair bit during that period. IME you are just as likely to have a poor experience on UA as AA. DL has its own particular issues, which put it at the bottom of my list. WN had a bunch of problems last fall, but is back to providing the usual WN experience (which I personally don't much care for). AS is at the top, but they had a huge meltdown at SEA last month which lasted way longer than it should have and seriously inconvenienced many thousands of passengers.

(And btw, the notion that UA is investing in the customer experience is just plain laughable. UA management is all about cutting everything it possible can.)
golfer20 likes this.

Search this Thread