Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Advice on how to handle schedule changes on flights in august

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2022, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Apologies for what is probably a basic question but I have never booked an AA flight so far in advance before and I also cannot find specific answers despite having searched other threads.

I have three domestic cash bookings (first class) in august that I made last month. Overnight two have been impacted by changes - one has a 4 hour departure change time - and another now arrives well after midnight. Is the best policy to do nothing and change to (hopefully) better flights a lot nearer the time when the timetables are more definite (will I be able to do this) or am I best to take a refund or a credit voucher and rebook nearer the time (might prices be more expensive then?). Hopefully there is a chance my original flights might reappear if customer traffic improves later in the year?

Thank you so much for any advice.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Being so far in advance, it's likely to change again sometime in the next 2-3 months. That being said, I often book tickets far in advance and just adjust the schedules to what I want as it goes along. If you call now, AA will put you on flights closer to original schedule, including going through different hubs if necessary. If it were me, I would find flights closer to my original schedule I want, call and have them move you to them, and then call again in another few months if you get hit again.
Popinjay likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by umaa83
Being so far in advance, it's likely to change again sometime in the next 2-3 months. That being said, I often book tickets far in advance and just adjust the schedules to what I want as it goes along. If you call now, AA will put you on flights closer to original schedule, including going through different hubs if necessary. If it were me, I would find flights closer to my original schedule I want, call and have them move you to them, and then call again in another few months if you get hit again.
Thank you for the good advice. I was hoping to keep the transits via DFW as I have flagship lounge access but will shift to the Charlotte connections as no glass of champagne is worth the bad flight times!
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:21 am

when buying AA tickets many months before travel, I’ll always buy cheapest cash J or award J available on the day i want to travel, even with horribletimes and multiple connections. AA schedule changes are guaranteed at 3-4 months out and its pretty painless to then get moved onto the perfect flights, often including flat beds.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin
when buying AA tickets many months before travel, I’ll always buy cheapest cash J or award J available on the day i want to travel, even with horribletimes and multiple connections. AA schedule changes are guaranteed at 3-4 months out and its pretty painless to then get moved onto the perfect flights, often including flat beds.
so you are saying do nothing until nearer the time?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Colin

I am also not familiar with AA. If the schedule changed, is it easy to ask refund without penalty or AA issue credit for future use?
UA usually issue ETC when schedule change and apply for refund. I do not know if AA has same instruments.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by willliamjia
I am also not familiar with AA. If the schedule changed, is it easy to ask refund without penalty or AA issue credit for future use?
UA usually issue ETC when schedule change and apply for refund. I do not know if AA has same instruments.
Refund offered if schedule change is in excess of 4 hours or you go from non-stop to connection. There are other reasons that could qualify for a refund but those two are the common ones.

Last edited by seawolf; Feb 8, 2022 at 7:28 am
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:09 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by willliamjia
As long as you're not on a basic economy ticket, you can cancel any time for full future trip credit in the following 12 months, regardless of reason(yours or theirs). I often recommend people who may prefer a full refund (or those with a BE ticket) to wait until day of trip, even up to an hour or two before it, to see if AA cancels or significantly delays the flight. Then you would be entitled to a refund to original payment form.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Find flights that work better for you and call and ask AA to change to those flights. It is always better to look at the flights you want and have those handy before calling AA. I have never had AA refuse to put me on flights that fit my schedule.

With the flights being in August, there is a good chance they will change again.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by PHL
As long as you're not on a basic economy ticket, you can cancel any time for full future trip credit in the following 12 months, regardless of reason(yours or theirs). I often recommend people who may prefer a full refund (or those with a BE ticket) to wait until day of trip, even up to an hour or two before it, to see if AA cancels or significantly delays the flight. Then you would be entitled to a refund to original payment form.
Thanks! Trip credit only can be used for ticket holder, right? Is there any way to ask AA refund to any instruments which can be used for anyone ?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 8:53 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Yes, each ticket is a credit available for the originally named party. If it's a child/minor you might be able to get the credit given to you. I've been able to do that in the past but it's been a while.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Yes, each ticket is a credit available for the originally named party. If it's a child/minor you might be able to get the credit given to you. I've been able to do that in the past but it's been a while.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.