Search

WN alcohol returns - your move AA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
WN alcohol returns - your move AA?

Southwest Airlines bringing back booze on planes | CNN Travel

Southwest Airlines is bringing back alcoholic beverages on flights this month after suspending their sale in March 2020.
Beer, wine and hard liquor will be offered again starting on February 16, the airline said in a news release.
American Airlines is the only one of the four largest US carriers that has not resumed alcohol sales.
So, this leaves AA as the only carrier that is still banning alcohol. Wonder if AA will finally grow a pair and tell their union to do their damn jobs?
AAdamE, MarkOK, corky and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:44 am

There's a small part of me that wonders if WN knows something we don't. Especially when making such an unexpected, abrupt backflip.

~6 weeks is when the Feds typically announce the mask extension and there's been no buzz about it yet (outside some bloggers saying it could be around for a long time).

Either changes are coming soon and WN is getting ahead of it, or changes *aren't* coming soon and they are giving up on waiting. It is an election year after all.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Wonder if AA will finally grow a pair and tell their union to do their damn jobs?
Yup. That's exactly how union-corporation relationships are successfully managed.
feysul likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards
Won't happen until AA decides their FA's have to actually work again.

The company isn't willing to grow a pair.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drnilescrane
There's a small part of me that wonders if WN knows something we don't. Especially when making such an unexpected, abrupt backflip.

~6 weeks is when the Feds typically announce the mask extension and there's been no buzz about it yet (outside some bloggers saying it could be around for a long time).

Either changes are coming soon and WN is getting ahead of it, or changes *aren't* coming soon and they are giving up on waiting. It is an election year after all.
I wondered about this as well. WN has been more vocal about not serving alcohol and why. AA has quietly tried to hide the fact that they are not serving it. So, as you said, for WN to flip like this - it is suspicious.

I asked a FA on a flight last weekend if booze would ever return and she quickly said "yep, when the mask mandate ends". Now, I know not to trust stuff like that as fact, but it's interesting to see how some react.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Yup. That's exactly how union-corporation relationships are successfully managed.
vs. how AA is doing it today, where the union grew a pair and flat out refused to do work, and AA just shrugs its shoulders and says OK?
LovePrunes and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
AA being dead last with an idea or implementation, you don't say.
Mr. BoH, lhrhappy, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:49 pm

AA needs to catch up and start serving again at least in MCE.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
As someone who flies both AA and WN, I hope the WN decision doesn't trigger a sickout among FAs. With as much labor contention as there's been in the past 90-120 days across multiple airlines, I'd rather have people showing up to work than be able to have 1-2 drinks on a short domestic flight.

I don't care if AA wants to wait a little longer.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
honest question: why dont the FAs like to serve alcohol? what difference is serving a can of beer to serving a can of soda?
are alcoholic beverages more complicated (gotta mix 'em and such?)
banana0692, skylady and onanisland like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flsusi
honest question: why dont the FAs like to serve alcohol? what difference is serving a can of beer to serving a can of soda?
are alcoholic beverages more complicated (gotta mix 'em and such?)
I think it has more to do with unruly passengers than the act of serving alcohol vs. soda. In my experience, they never mix drinks in Y and often don't in F.

I suspect a lot of FAs would prefer all of the mask stuff to end before they serve booze again. A lot of 2021's crew-passenger tension was related to masks.
A321T, dtwtransport, AADFW and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Superb!

Now if I can find my drink coupons, I’ll be in business 😅
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Do FAs get a percentage of alcohol sales? 30 years ago when I was a FA for a non US airline, we used to get 10% of all Y alcohol sales. They prob don't get any commission like they do with the credit cards otherwise you can bet they would pushing those drinks!
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:03 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by ceebee100
Do FAs get a percentage of alcohol sales? 30 years ago when I was a FA for a non US airline, we used to get 10% of all Y alcohol sales. They prob don't get any commission like they do with the credit cards otherwise you can bet they would pushing those drinks!
No...if anything it's more work for them to charge pax for booze.

I've mentioned before how L-US FAs always seemed to be willing to comp drinks in the back at the slightest delay. I've also seen L-US FAs "forget" to use the card reader on shorter flights in Y and simply comp people because they didn't want to fool around the machine. US was a cheap airline for sure, but between the consistent PDBs, the F service flow (consistent doubles...and as another poster said "a good LUS FA could serve you three drinks on CLT-RDU"), and the comping of drinks in the back, the airline gave booze out like Halloween candy.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by bchandler02
So, as you said, for WN to flip like this - it is suspicious.
No suspicions at all. WN's new CEO Bob Jordan began work this week.
bchandler02 and MathMusic like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.