When does AA know about missing captain?

Old Feb 3, 22, 9:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 159
When does AA know about missing captain?

Iím just curious, when do AA staff know whether the crew will be available for a flight? I was scheduled on a flight DCA-MIA. The flight was delayed from 810pm to 845pm. I arrived at the lounge at 730pm and I could have gone standby for the earlier flight that was delayed departing at about 815pm. There were only middle seats left so I figured Iíd just wait for my flight and get my window seat. 5 mins before boarding the flight gets delayed 2 hrs. The lounge folks told me the captain was unavailable and they were waiting for him to come in on a flight from Dallas. Fast forward and the app says 5 mins to boarding. I asked again are they sure it will board because the boarding time seemed too early. They said yes. No sooner did I walk down did the flight get delayed again because the captain had not landed.

Does AA really not know? Or are they just trying to keep things quiet? Itís more frustrating than anything else because it seems they should be more forthcoming with facts. Thoughts?
darkrider is offline  
Old Feb 3, 22, 9:17 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,546
Persistent problem with AA. AA's operations center knows where the crew is and has a very good idea of how long a delay really will be. That information is rarely communicated to the front-end systems accessible by passengers, GAs, club agents, FDS, etc. So the announced delay is often times wildly inaccurate. AA is famous for the rolling 15m delay.
Catbert10 is offline  
Old Feb 3, 22, 9:21 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,550
removed

Last edited by VegasGambler; Feb 3, 22 at 9:36 pm
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 12:21 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 159
Thanks for the thoughts. The communication was really unacceptable. Finally arrived 2-3 hrs hours later only to have no one available to man the bridge and open the door because we arrived so late. 20+ mins of waiting at the gate after this delay. Bad night for AA and worse for me.
darkrider is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 2:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,444
Last flight I was on a couple weeks ago, we boarded and the pilot didnít show up so we had to deplane and wait for a replacement for 3hours.
hw711 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 6:20 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PWM
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by darkrider View Post
Iím just curious, when do AA staff know whether the crew will be available for a flight? I was scheduled on a flight DCA-MIA. The flight was delayed from 810pm to 845pm. I arrived at the lounge at 730pm and I could have gone standby for the earlier flight that was delayed departing at about 815pm. There were only middle seats left so I figured Iíd just wait for my flight and get my window seat. 5 mins before boarding the flight gets delayed 2 hrs. The lounge folks told me the captain was unavailable and they were waiting for him to come in on a flight from Dallas. Fast forward and the app says 5 mins to boarding. I asked again are they sure it will board because the boarding time seemed too early. They said yes. No sooner did I walk down did the flight get delayed again because the captain had not landed.

Does AA really not know? Or are they just trying to keep things quiet? Itís more frustrating than anything else because it seems they should be more forthcoming with facts. Thoughts?
Are you familiar with the Acronym SNAFU? maybe it should be SNAAFU!
roadtriper is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 6:54 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Posts: 1,435
Always a troubling and anxious time, especially with a missing pilot. Part of me wants the pilot to hurry, but I sure donít want him/her to be frazzled with things like pre-flight checklists and getting ready to taxi and take off!
Justin026 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 9:08 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: EDI/GLA
Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 2,104
Originally Posted by Justin026 View Post
Always a troubling and anxious time, especially with a missing pilot. Part of me wants the pilot to hurry, but I sure donít want him/her to be frazzled with things like pre-flight checklists and getting ready to taxi and take off!
Flight Crews wonít rush through things as they are being paid handsomely unless itís their go home leg then theyíll most likely do everything to ensure that they donít time out.
Intl359Widget is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 9:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PWM
Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Posts: 1,190
Originally Posted by darkrider View Post
The communication was really unacceptable.
If you really find it "unacceptable" you can vote with your feet. But I really don't think you'll find other airlines any better in this regard. Sorry you had a bad flight but it happens to all of us.
jerryss and BWISkyGuy like this.
sexykitten7 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 9:58 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 220
Catberts answer is probably the correct one but in Irrops things can be in constant motion. For example, AA may have been planning on Captain A operating the flight but for various reasons needed to change to Captain B, who was on the inbound flight. Things can change all the time.
seawolf likes this.
Raymoland is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 10:10 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: CMH
Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 367
Originally Posted by roadtriper View Post
Are you familiar with the Acronym SNAFU? maybe it should be SNAAFU!
That's a greAAt idea! (from AA's Twitter account responding to my "greAAt questions")
darkrider likes this.
doc4science is online now  
Old Feb 4, 22, 10:24 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by darkrider View Post
Iím just curious, when do AA staff know whether the crew will be available for a flight? I was scheduled on a flight DCA-MIA. The flight was delayed from 810pm to 845pm. I arrived at the lounge at 730pm and I could have gone standby for the earlier flight that was delayed departing at about 815pm. There were only middle seats left so I figured Iíd just wait for my flight and get my window seat. 5 mins before boarding the flight gets delayed 2 hrs. The lounge folks told me the captain was unavailable and they were waiting for him to come in on a flight from Dallas. Fast forward and the app says 5 mins to boarding. I asked again are they sure it will board because the boarding time seemed too early. They said yes. No sooner did I walk down did the flight get delayed again because the captain had not landed.

Does AA really not know? Or are they just trying to keep things quiet? Itís more frustrating than anything else because it seems they should be more forthcoming with facts. Thoughts?

Beats me but last year they had boarded half a flight at DFW and the agent came onboard to announce boarding was stopped because they just "discovered" they didn't have a cockpit crew for the flight.
Ended up canceling it and booking this F class revenue on 5:00pm flight the next day. No compensation of course because it was ruled "weather" even though weather was clear over most of the U.S.. May have been raining in Bangladesh..
Woofbite is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 11:56 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 230
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
Last flight I was on a couple weeks ago, we boarded and the pilot didnít show up so we had to deplane and wait for a replacement for 3hours.
happened as well to me, wildly annoying but it is what it is
bakrgby is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 12:05 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles& Telluride
Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Posts: 721
Airline operations are like the magician spinning 10 plates in the air all at the same time. Most of the time the person can keep all of the plates spinning. every once in a while stuff happens and a plate falls onto the floor. It happens. I think its remarkable how airlines function and how the system is one IRROPS or weather event from going into the can.
milski, roadtriper and seawolf like this.
tomj888 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 22, 12:27 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: AUS
Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Posts: 1,416
Systemic problem at AA for years. I've written some pretty harshly worded messages on Twitter about this. They just do not delay flights when it's clear the flight will 100% be delayed. Then they go to rolling delays, ends up creating anxiety and often you leave the comfort of the Lounge, a restaurant, etc. just to stand around for an hour.

I rant on Twitter often and don't get very far. Here's an example, above this is me posting 6 screenshots of 15 minute delays back to back to back.

H8tofly and enviroian like this.
BrianV is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread