Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
AA has issued a travel alert, allowing flexibility with bookings. There are way too many cities to list here, so check the link for yours.

Thread in the Texas Forum with more broad impacts (including WN suspending service at DAL on 3 Feb).

Please edit as you have additional information to share.
Print Wikipost

AA and early Feb 2022 Weather issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
yeah right after I posted that, my backup flight tomorrow for in case today didn’t work out (ONT-DFW-AUS) was canceled on me and I was rebooked to saturday. I need to call in and cancel. My buddies flying in from DEN and MSP direct to AUS are still showing good to go tomorrow.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I was able to move us to an earlier DFW-AUS flight while enroute from MAD to DFW, and soon thereafter our seats changed to F. All good. Then while waiting for our luggage that flight was cancelled and we got auto-rebooked quite quickly to the next flight, in Y of course. Then that flight was cancelled a few minutes later. By the time we were leaving customs that flight cancelled, as did all remining . Hotels near DFW were sold out so we opted to rent a car and drive to AUS. Road conditions are pretty poor so we're spending the last night of our vacation in a Hampton in Waco.

It appeared AA basically threw in the towel in the early evening. Most flights were still showing ontime, with the inbound planes on schedule. Then suddenly cancellations all over the place.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Driving seems like the right decision! I'm sat in the terminal contemplating the long night. Just keeping my fingers crossed that AA has done its early morning cancellations already and that the few remaining flights showing a departure time are the ones which they're going to try to actually run. At the moment I'd estimate 75% have been cancelled for the morning, perhaps due to capacity and crewing issues.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:56 pm

Flying out to SLC on Saturday via ORD and PHX; was supposed to travel Wednesday and rebooked to Saturday reasoning that when both ORD and DFW go kaput it's best to wait a few days for the system to recombobulate itself. AA's not selling a single seat to SLC either today or Saturday. I don't yet even have a seat assignment for PHX-SLC, so things could get adventurous.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Looks like 36 didn't get out until midnight last night! I'm glad I left Wednesday.

The storm appears to have left and temps are supposed to recover to the low 30's Friday so let's hope AA gets it's game on.

I wonder how WN did themselves operationally speaking at DAL.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by enviroian
I wonder how WN did themselves operationally speaking at DAL.
They cancelled all Thursday flights through DAL on Wednesday - didn't even attempt anything.
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
TPA-DFW Cancelled - Chances of TPA-PHL-DFW Weather

TPA-DFW Cancelled (weather in Dallas). I've been rerouted to TPA-PHL-DFW (getting in LATE this evening). I'm wondering what are the chances both legs will actually fly. From the radar, it looks like PHL is getting what Dallas got yesterday in the way of weather, and I don't want to get stuck in PHL overnight. FlightAware shows 141 flights cancelled in PHL over the last 24 hours. I'm not familiar with PHL so I don't know if 141 is substantial.

Any input would be helpful.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by txpenny
TPA-DFW Cancelled (weather in Dallas). I've been rerouted to TPA-PHL-DFW (getting in LATE this evening). I'm wondering what are the chances both legs will actually fly. From the radar, it looks like PHL is getting what Dallas got yesterday in the way of weather, and I don't want to get stuck in PHL overnight. FlightAware shows 141 flights cancelled in PHL over the last 24 hours. I'm not familiar with PHL so I don't know if 141 is substantial.

Any input would be helpful.
I'm in Philly, it's a pretty dreary day with light rain but nothing anywhere near as bad as the weather in the midwest and Texas over the last few days. Obviously not an ideal routing, but I think you'll be fine - it's New England, upstate NY, and western PA that seem to be having issues from the storm remnants.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I wouldn't go anywhere near the NE today if you can avoid it. Some of the later nonstops TPA-DFW appear to still be operating, or get re-routed via MIA, ORD, CLT, RDU, etc.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...eb-2022-a.html
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: AA
PHL would be fine. No ice expected here.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I would refuse this alternate routing and find something else. My general rule of thumb is to not backtrack. Try to keep moving in the general direction I need to go.

Flying TPA-PHL-DFW is just silly (and subject to major winter weather risk). Don't get off of segment #1 at an airport that's much further from where I want to go than where I was when I actually started my trip...

Hub-to-hub flights like PHL-DFW are also more subject to equipment swaps and last minute oversales due to NRPS crew movements.

I say either wait for a later TPA-DFW nonstop or change to a connect point like AUS/BNA/RDU if you must stay on AA.

Alternatively, TPA-IAH-DFW on UA would be a great choice. At least if things went bad at IAH you're close enough to rent a car and drive the rest of the way home.

Best strategy of all - enjoy Florida sun for an extra day or two, grab a Cuban sandwich, some grouper, Colombian food, etc. and take a TPA-DFW nonstop on Sunday afternoon!
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by Herb687; Feb 4, 2022 at 10:34 am
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Definitely not back to normal unfortunately - I came in on AA51 from Heathrow three hours ago, had to wait 40 minutes on the tarmac for our gate to become available as the previous AA longhaul 777 had trouble pushing back (tug lacked traction in the snow/ice). Most AA departures tonight were cancelled and it looks like the cancellations have started for tomorrow too. Lots of people stuck here in the terminal.
It's 11:00 AM on a clear if cold Friday in Fort Worth, with significant melt starting at least in the sun.

But was just checking what was happening at the airport (son trying to fly out today, and I'm trying to fly out Sunday afternoon). Still a mass cancellation festival, even though Love Field seems to be OK (yes I know there is no comparison of scale).

Perhaps ice on the apron is the problem, but wondering if anyone has seen an official statement?

Maybe I'm a bit surprised it is still as backed up as it is, although here in Tejas the usual way to deal with snow and ice is we just let it melt. Usually won't take long, and sad for you if you are in a hurry.

UPDATING MY OWN POST:

Reading online the roads are actually icier today than yesterday after a hard freeze overnight. (I suppose this affects taxiway and tarmac more than the runways that have had lots of effort thrown at them already. Perhaps affects who can get to work even more).

I hear some parts of town are worse than others. It is supposed to get above freezing two or three hours this afternoon.

Last edited by jayer; Feb 4, 2022 at 10:46 am
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Herb687
I would refuse this alternate routing and find something else. My general rule of thumb is to not backtrack. Try to keep moving in the general direction I need to go.

Flying TPA-PHL-DFW is just silly (and subject to major winter weather risk). Don't get off of segment #1 at an airport that's much further from where I want to go than where I was when I actually started my trip...

Hub-to-hub flights like PHL-DFW are also more subject to equipment swaps and last minute oversales due to NRPS crew movements.

I say either wait for a later TPA-DFW nonstop or change to a connect point like AUS/BNA/RDU if you must stay on AA.

Alternatively, TPA-IAH-DFW on UA would be a great choice. At least if things went bad at IAH you're close enough to rent a car and drive the rest of the way home.

Best strategy of all - enjoy Florida sun for an extra day or two, grab a Cuban sandwich, some grouper, Colombian food, etc. and take a TPA-DFW nonstop on Sunday afternoon!
Driving is not a good idea. DART suspended all service, including all bus service at noon today until midday Sunday (light rail service was already suspended Wednesday night). Wet/slush on road re-froze overnight making things even worse, and that'll happen again tonight.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I am scheduled to fly SJU-MIA-DFW-OKC tomorrow. I was on the 12:50 DFW-OKC flight and it just cancelled. Usually the app gives me options to rebook, but it's not doing that. All of the rest of the DFW-OKC flighrs tomorrow are zeroes out. I can see a SJU-MIA-LGA-OKC itenerary that gets me in a couple of hours later but the app is not allowing me to reaccommodate. I have a message in to Twitter asking them to change me to that. I called in as a PPRo, and I am waiting for a 4+ hour call back.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Early last night, my AM flight LAX-PHX canceled and the app wouldn't rebook me. I called the EXP line and the robo lady said it would be 2h45min for a call back. I decided to try staying on the line on hold and the EXP picked up in a few minutes. They couldn't help me because they couldn't get my ticket ticketed due to computer issues and ended up canceling my 2nd leg to SEA for a refund and I rebooked on AS for cheaper. Good thing too. The PHX-SEA floght I was on originally canceled last minute due to crew availability after 4 or 5 rolling 15min delays. (I type this on my flight to SEA on AS)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.